In season EMS ?

Is it “wise” to run EMS max strength cycles in season ? If so would it be just like in an SPP cycle or do you have to take over 48 hours before a race ?

I am having trouble keeping the quality of my weight workouts high due to racing, so I thought it could help maintain a bit more strength.

Thank you !

It can be worked in but the rep numbers and the total number of sessions would be kept down after the end of the max strength period. You can also move the muscle groups to be stimulated around rather than doing them all in one session. Usually, the best day at that point is Sat with Sun being off. On other days you might do one muscle group per session after short speed work.

Sat because that’s when the race is ? So full session after a race and a more specific one after short speed workouts.

Sounds ok to me,if that’s what you meant !
I have a 2 channel unit anyway, doing more than 2 muscle groups would take 2 hours ! :slight_smile:

Thanks !

Ok, so concentrate on the muscles you need to develop (for most the hamstrings). Make sure you do it at least 4 hrs after the last race following a hot shower and do a pulsing warm-up for 5 to 10min before the power contractions. You might consider doing 5 or 6 reps of 5 to 6 sec duration with a 50 sec break, depending on how you feel after the race and pulse down after as well.
You could repeat this session after short speed on Mon (assuming you are using the meets for your SE needs and that the Wed session will be sub-max)
Of course, you can use the stim for a pulsing massage anytime

Great ! I’m happy I can use it, my workouts are REALLY low quality, 15-20kg drop in “squat strength” and theres nothing I can do about it.
Bench is still going up though.

Time to stim- thank you very much !

I stimmed my hamstrings on sunday after my speed session, and now, my hamstrings are still tight and I have a race tomorrow… ROM isn’t affected very much, it’s just a feeling of tightness, and sensitivity when foam rolling.

What can I do other than EMS 5hz and some light foam rolling/showers to prepare for tomorrow in the best way possible and is it wise to PNF in the warmup before the race.

Thanks !

Try sleeping in sweats and heat the night before the race. Also stretch right before bed.

Yea I have had a very similar drop in squat numbers and coincedentally have started stim again.

i’d rub on heat rub and wrap the hams with plastic wrap overnight. Do a light warm-up first thing in the am well before the meet and then warm-up as you normally do.

Why stress over squat numbers inseason if your speed is improving.

Thanks Charlie, I feel x2 better this morning ! I used red Tiger Balm with the wraps.

They are still tight, but I guess I could PNF and do light massage before the race to fix that.

Besides, for some reason, I had some of my best workouts with tighter than normal hamstrings, I wonder what’s the reason behind it ?

I also stretched right before ben Chris, thanks/

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Well it didn’t go well, there are solid excuses for that though so i’ll leave it behind me, I learned a few things about 40 degrees Celcius racing as well…

Let me just say that this G2 hamstring I had 2 months ago injury really messed me up psychologically, I kept thinking i’m “losing” speed everyday and all that, and that showed in my last 2 races (total joke compared to what I can do in practice, up to 0.5 more in HT times to 60 and 100 !!! From consistent EASY 6.5’s to 6.9 and 7.00 ! Whaaat?? )

BUT then I realized how I didn’t jump for a year, and I still dunk the same way and have the same VJ… So I guess you don’t really lose gains that have been hard earned for months and months …

Next time I will allow my body to run fast, no doubt. I have it in my legs.
I had enough of this " You had it and now it’s gone " thing that’s going on in my legs… I can’t find any physiological explanation for this.
If you experienced something similar please let me know…

Thank you all again !

I think I’ve mentioned before that it took mea while to come back from just a hamstring cramping injury last year… I felt good… as good as ever… but the times were well down. I was purlexed until I slowed down a video of me on the runway and noticed I wasn’t fully extending my right leg (leg that was strained) compared to the left. I came to the conclusion that I was subconciously protecting the hamstring, by over use of the glutes and quads in the right leg effecting my mechanics.

You feel confident with it but your body might still be protecting it a bit.

that’s my view anyway. I would suspect you’ll run fast at the end of the season.

Thanks man, good to know i’m not crazy.
Got a 100+200 this thursday, no expectations this time… Just run my race in a slow heat.

Stay tuned !