Hurdle Training

Hurdle development would be a good thread. I dont mind keeping it all together, but I will be a pain when searching on this thread in the future. But to answer your question, I dont like to throw a ton of drills on a novice to teach them (sink or swim method). It would be a taxing overload. Keep it simple and be patient.
We can discuss further in another thread.

I have had a lot of success with my hurdlers this year by going back to the basics. Many hurdlers don’t really understand the mechanics of what they are doing, so I spend a good amount of time explaining the mechanics of what they should be doing and how that is an efficient way of doing it. They have responded well to this method. Also, I’ve implemented the Curtis Frye ‘slap’ technique to reinforce good arm action during drills and then has reduced a good deal of floating over the hurdles. Mostly though, bringing in the hurdles and lowering them considerably has helped improve speed and rhythm during their races. My high school boys don’t hurdle much over 27" and my girls don’t hurdle much over 21-24".

explain " the Curtis Frye ‘slap’ technique"

runfast71

He has his hurdlers slap their hip with their trail arm on the way through to prevent flailing the arm back and breaking at the elbow.
I have my athletes do it during drills, not while they are actually hurdling because I think it gives them too much to think about. However, during drills it helps promote good arm mechanics which tranfers well into their hurdle technique.

There are also the cues down and around and cut of the trail leg at the knee with the hand which I think relate to what you are talking about.

Some good ideas about drills. Any others people would like to share? What drills are useful and which are not?

Clemson, I know I still owe you a number of articles. I’ll come through when athlete who has access to incredible library of material at Chula Vista comes through. I’ve been trying to get her to send two articles to me since July. Eventually I’ll have them and I’ll send them to you. Sorry for the incredibly long delay.

Yesterday I found out that Jean Poquette, the former coach of Renaldo Nehemiah, moved to Asheville. I spoke with him at great length about training, and he seems to be a very geniune person who loves to talk shop. If anyone has any questions, I will pass them along to get some answers or thoughts.
I guess the Saint has made Asheville the hot spot!

Clemson, you read my mind!
I mentioned this to him yesterday and he seemed very interested. He said that July 5-13 is open for him, so that works. I have emailed the powers that be, to see if we can get him in.

Just thought I would post this drill that he is noted for developing.

Back and Forths

Mr. Jean Poquette, developing coach of former world record holder Renaldo Nehemiah, invented this drill.

Purpose/Philosophy:
1.) The purpose of the drill is to give the athlete speed plus endurance training.
2.) Creates concentration, stamina and discipline over the barriers.

The Set-up:
Set the first five hurdles at normal spacing and normal height. Set a second row of five hurdles returning (a lane apart facing the opposite direction) with a pair of blocks at the beginning of this row (must be measured for correct distance).

The athlete begins with a standing/running start for the first of the five hurdles accelerating to 100%. At the conclusion of the first five, the athlete is given a maximum :15 seconds rest (time enough to get in the blocks) and takes the second set of five hurdles. The drill is to be done at 85-90% effort. Pace and relaxation for efficiency is stressed in this drill.

Suggested workouts:
This workout is good to do when the athlete is in transition from their fall training to beginning season and can be used sparingly as a conditioning workout during the season.

A timed recovery is best for these drills (approximately 4-6 minutes) a total of five runs over the entire drill would be considered an excellent work-out.

dlive11,

I have a question regarding Poquette’s back and forth drill. Why use blocks on the return voyage and not for the first 5 hurdles? There must be a different goal, what is it? Also, I’ve seen in the Championship Books and Videos hurdle series with Jean and Renaldo that he was taking 5 strides between hurdles, not running too hard. Should this drill be done with a 3 stride rhythm if coming out of blocks? I feel that it would be tough for me to run with much efficiency and technique at 80% taking 3 steps at normal spacing.

Perhaps I have misinterpreted the drill, hopefully you can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

Are you doing any type of jamming work? It could be that you have set yourself into a rhythmic pattern that you are used to. Try and move the hurdles in a bit.

Originally posted by magico
runfast71
He has his hurdlers slap their hip with their trail arm on the way through to prevent flailing the arm back and breaking at the elbow. during drills it helps promote good arm mechanics which tranfers well into their hurdle technique.

^^im going to try this drill

i didnt realize it until i saw myself on video but i seem to float over the hurdle because my trail arm breaks at the elbow.

How does become quicker inbetween the hurdles?
I have a lot faster 100m speed from last year, but at the same distance and height, i am not running that much faster of hurdling times (-.2)??
why is this?
faster 100 = faster 110HH???

:help:
thanks

Regarding the use of blocks, I do not know his reasoning. This may be something that he used to do in the past, because now, he only employs this drill using a standing start. You should stay at a 5-step cadence, since this workout is done on a tempo day. He calls for a large number of repititions to be done, (300-500 Hurdles a session), but be careful. I have noticed some obvious technical flaws that arise when the athlete is fatigued. I think that this is a solid workout to work in with tempo, but I do not feel it should totally replace the tempo work. I can post more information on this if need be, but I hope this answers your question.

Doing tempo hurdle runs has many elements to play with. I have used it for our school recordholder and she has improved by leaps and bounds (no pun here please…).

We never do tempo at 3 steps even with bringing in the hurdle for a shorter space. Let’s see what we do for practice today.

Also Renaldo was in super shape so be carefull not to compare too much to him. For some reason he didn’t want to work hard in the early 80’s with Coach Ross? This is why each athelete will find a coach that meets their needs from a personality standpoint.

in holland the national top hurdlers are training with Mrs Bonsen.
Robin Korving -13.20 -28yo
Marcel vd Westen -13.70-27
Greg Sedoc -13,68-22
Virgil Spier-14.10-21

They train most of all on frequency!!
8 hurdles on 15foot distande in 3 steps. You must run short steps and use proper technique, if if not you hit hurdles and you fall :baddevil::

this they do in defferent forms.
3x8 hurdles then break then again.
Or just 3 times with 6-10 min break.

I used to train with this group and my experience is that it works!
technique is getting better…and your getting faster because of the frequency work…
And all athletes training with Mrs. Bonsen are getting better and better. She Makes Hurdlers.
Her way of training comes from Brent Mc farlane he is know in canada.

Wow, 300-500 hurdles a session? Say you’re doing 5 hurdles down and 5 back, for 10 hurdles per rep. That would mean an incredible amount of runs to get the 300-500 desired reps. I assume that warmup drills must be counted towards the total?

This concept of total hurdles per session is intriguing, I’ve never thought of that before. Anyone else use hurdle reps to monitor volume?

Originally posted by Clemson
We never do tempo at 3 steps even with bringing in the hurdle for a shorter space. Let’s see what we do for practice today.

not saying that you’re right or wrong… but how come? i’ve done them at 6.8-7.5, but it can get sloppy quick if not monitored.

Duck,
The typical workout is 5-7H each way, and the athlete does 4-5 full repititions then takes a 300m walk. This is done until the desired amount of single repititions are performed. I have been doing an altered version of this for my 400m Hurdlers, but dramatically less volume.
Concerning the use of 3-steps in tempo training, I agree with Clemson, as rhythm is most important in Hurdles and the overstriding for 3 steps (due to reduced speeds) can disrupt this. When pulling the Hurdles in, I would rather use this for Jamming work and keep tempo as recovery and form/ postural-work days. Just an opinion.:smiley:

In reply to the 3-5 step debate for tempo hurdling you must try to shift and improve whatever quality you want to achieve. When doing tempo runs what is the goal for that session.

You can do skill work with hurdles you can do anything. KT, any drill that get’s the result is a good drill, providing that the coach knows what end result should be. I have seen one step drills used to work arm action and the results have been outstanding! But that is skill work without too much horizontal speed…not tempo runs.

As for Robin Korving and the methods…great frequency is cool but that is not tempo work.