Hurdle Training

I would like to start a thread on HH training. This could include technical aspects, training week breakdowns, etc. Are there other coaches/ athletes out there interested?
One big issue is the promoting of forward lean in female hurdlers. Is this just an American “new-age” idea or are others running into this?

TJ2K,
I believe that you should always focus on speed. The special endurance would undulate based on their race distance and previous training. Can you give us an example of an athlete? That way we can get more detailed.

i’d like someone to start that topic up because i’m always looking for new knowledge in the hurdles

maybe we are the only two.

Originally posted by dlive11
I would like to start a thread on HH training. This could include technical aspects, training week breakdowns, etc. Are there other coaches/ athletes out there interested?
One big issue is the promoting of forward lean in female hurdlers. Is this just an American “new-age” idea or are others running into this?

What I have noticed, is the female hurdlers that are into the foward lean are the ones that lack great foot speed. Jenny Adams is a perfect example of a hurdler that made improvements after doing this.

THEONE,
Interesting, could you explain this a little further. I may be in a brain-freeze right now. Is it to assist in bringing the body weight over the hurdle quicker? Thanks.

I’m not sure on this one but I think that once the athlete is in flight the hard lean over the hurdle is to, among other things, promote keeping the COM as low as is necessary to clear the hurdle properly. I believe in the women’s hurdles the lean is not nearly as important and might in fact be a negative since though the women’s highs are shorter than the men’s hurdles, the average leg length discrepancy is not as great between women and men as is the height of the hurdle differences-6in for high school and 9inches for internationals. In other words the men have to compensate more once over the hurdle because their takeoff angle has to(I think-not positive on this one) be greater than that of the women. Ideally, the women should not have anywhere near the lean over the hurdle that the men do and more often than not, none at all.

I totally agree with you Joel. I was wondering if there was something I was missing when it came to the women. As you know through our conversations, this is something I do not promote (the lean) for the female hurdlers.

As you mentioned, for some reason some coaches actually promote such a lean in their female hurdlers. Why would someone attempt to accelerate or at least maintain speed while keeping their foot on the brake. In hurdling, it seems, these braking forces could negatively impact speed even more than flat sprinting since most are coming down after the flight, at least somewhat. If a female hurdler was especially short(at least very short legs) I MIGHT consider encouraging slight lean but generally speaking, no way.

Too bad we both have seen this with some of the coaches in our area. With just a quick fix, the talent would improve markedly.

In women’s hurdles, it isn’t necessary to lean.

i also agree that the lean is not as important as male hurdlers, but what should look for in regard to body position prior to take off. (just proper knee action or maybe just a positive positon just be for going into the hurdle.)

For male high hurdlers I think it’s important that the hurdler achieve the “hips tall” position but does not not fold or lean until at least after the takeoff. Fold/lean during the flight and then snap out of it as you are nearing touchdown. Total body lean into the takeoff is one thing but folding at the waist before the takeoff if complete will/could launch someone into the hurdle.

At top speed Murice Green still holds a foward lean unlike Ben, Carl etc. etc. A foward lean at top speed is not needed, yet he uses it to some advantage. A lean into the hurdles may not be needed for female hurdlers, but if it works for someone why knock it? I think the further the center of mass is ahead of the base of support the faster you have to get the legs down. Maybe that’s why they are doing it.

Let’s get into some specifics with male hurdlers. How about the lead arm over the hurdle?

Would you prefer to have athletes reach toward the next hurdle or keep the lead arm flexed closer to 90 degrees?

How about the trail arm? Emphasis on simply keeping it close to the body, or actively moving it backwards as in a normal sprint stride.

P.S. dlive11, I see you’re in North Carolina. Looks like Anwar Moore came ready to hurdle this indoor season!

THEONE.
I see what you are talking about, (center of mass ahead of hips). It may as Pioneer stated, relate more to height. I know that my females are too tall to lean. I see that it prevents their hips from obtaining the proper height becuase there is no range of motion for the leg to go through. So again, maybe we should remember to individualize. Its all good brotha

Maybe I’m looking at different video of Greene but I don’t see him leaning at all at top speed. In fact I don’t really see any top sprinters leaning at top speed. There is a major difference, anyway, between hurdle takeoff and clearance then top speed sprint mechanics. I’m just saying that most women don’t need to lean over the hurdles or rather into them unless they have relatively short legs.

i think an actual lean or fold (compared to male hurdlers) for female hurdlers may actually create a greater braking action at touch down. however a slight lead in with the chest or head may actually aid in attaching the hurdle and possible faster touchdown…as long as the hurdler has proper strength in place to react to the faster touchdown.

runfast71,
I do think the fold is negative as you said causing braking action. It may be that if you cue the athlete to lead with their chest may be better than telling them to lean.

as a hurdler and a jumper and sprinter,
i was wondering how you would train a hurdler. Would you work their speed work like a middle distance or 200 athlete or a 100 metre athlete.

Is more speed and special endurance needed?