Hurdle Coach

Hey I’m about to be a senior in high school. My PR in the 110 H is 15.00 which I ran after my sophomore year and I am looking for a hurdle coach. I haven’t PR’ed since. Does anybody have any suggestions of how I should go about looking for one. I live in Birmingham, Alabama by the way.

Well, for starters, you could contact the coaches at Auburn and Bama and see if they have ideas. Also, you could see what high schools in your area consistently turn out good hurdlers and see if one of their coaches would coach you. Naturally, you would need to get a coach from a different size division than your high school. I assume you are willing to pay for the coaching.

Im willing to pay whatever i can, yes. But Im only 17 so i am only able to make so much money. My dad might be willing to help out though. Why would i need a coach from a different size division? No high schools around here really have good hurdlers year in and year out. My school had a guy last year graduate who ran a 14.3, but that wasn’t because of my schools coaching. Has anyone heard of Russ Polhemus? He is in my area. I think he is more of a sprint coach though.

The reason I said to look in a different size category was because most coaches probably won’t coach someone who will be competing against their own athletes. But if there are no coaches in your area who consistently produce good hurdlers then it doesn’t matter anyway. If you can’t find what you are looking for, then self-coaching is not impossible. Check out hurdlesfirst.com. There is a ton of useful information there and a good article on self-coaching.

Today I found out that Richmond Flowers lives in my area, so I called him and he is going to go to the track with me on Wednesday to watch me workout.