HS Short Sprinter's Training Journal

March 28

On Grass
8x10m
6x20m (Alternating between resisted and unresisted)
2x(15mE/15mF)
–Stopped workout due to Shin pain–

abs- 300 reps

Exactly, stick with your coaches program and stop adding stuff…

Dear RB34,
I just want to show you exactly what we were supposed to do this training week just so you can see a little where I am coming from.
There is no need to respond to this, you can think what you want. I have appreciated the advice you have given before and used it but for this case, I think our argument/discussion will lead no where.

M- 6,5,4,3,2,1
Rest: Walk what you ran
Pace: As fast as you can manage

T- Weights + 2x(50m jog, 50m lunge, 50m skip, 50m lunge, 50 backward skips, 50m lunge)

W- 3.5 mile jog on asphalt roads

Th- Weights + 4x200m @ 32 + Block Starts (no amount just told us to do starts)

F- Hill Workout
20m, 40m, 60m, 40m, 20m
8x60m
20m, 40m, 60m, 80m, 60m, 40m, 20m
4x80m, 4x40m
R: jog Back/ few minutes
Pace: As fast as you can manage

*This is what all sprinters do, 1,2 and 4, even though our group has maybe 1 200/400 runner

What is it to argue about, your coaches are doing what some people may call shitty training. On top of all that volume your trying to do more work on your own which is leading to overuse injuries (shin etc).

I’m sure you are doubting everything your coaches are telling you instead use that time/energy towards workouts and enjoy being a student athlete. Trust me you will have your whole life to train yourself and experiment with CFTS…

Half of the battle is believing!!! As you may know my workouts are a lot different then CFTS but I believe in what I’m doing, only time will tell if it will work. LOL

well said, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that, thank you for the humor.

jordan, u also forgot to mention that the weight program that fails to include bench, squat or cleans or any similar exercises and is based on 15 reps with 30 sec rest…

it includes single leg unweighted partial squats onto a box… :stuck_out_tongue:

obviously an essential exercise for any sprinter… o wait, it must be an essential exercise for all track athletes since kids ranging from shot putters to 2 milers to 100m guys all have to do the same program!

not that it really matters since i try not to waste my time with those exercises, i try to focus on the ones with maybe a little bit of twisted sense of reality might do something for me.
but honestly i think its a good thing that the weights aren’t taxing because they dont fit in the plan at all, they are just thrown in when their is time with no regard for the previous or future training, if the weight room was taxing it would be even worse for the overall program.

March 30

4x300m @ 49,48,54,59

abs- 200 reps

I was just trying to just go for smooth and very relaxed. I didn’t feel too good during this workout, but I know I could have hit the times but I would rather get the extensive tempo affect rather than run myself into the ground with intensive tempo.

what times where you suppose to hit?

my coach changed his mind after each set but originally it was supposed to be 47 I think. This was run on a 150m rubber indoor track with super tight turns. And by saying hit the time i meant more like stay consistently 49ish if I put forth 100% effort.

Wow, pretty fast for you guys.

March 31

3x20m Blocks

abs- 100 reps

Today was more of a teaching new kids how to use blocks and light/recovery day. Tomorrow is time trials, I think the options are 100m and/or 400m, I am definitely going to do the 100m and I think I might do the 400m at like 90+% for the high intensity effect.

April 1

Time Trials

100m (12.2)
200m @95% (26.3)

April 2

Relay Hand offs (2 Giving)
Javelin Throwing- Short Approach Stuff
abs- 200 reps

April 3

Squat 3x6x205,215,225
BW Hypers 4x10

April 4
Bench Press 4x6x135,145,155,155
BB Circuit 2x10

1. Lat Pulldown
  2. Lateral Raise
  3. Tricep Pushdown
  4. Bicep Curl
  5. Shoulder Press
  6. Seated Row

Ab Series A(260 reps) x1

I have my first dual meet tomorrow. It’ll be low key, its on a crappy track and against a weak opponent. I’ll be running the 100 and 4x1. My goal is to just run a clean race and I would like to run at least 12.0 or under but if I don’t I wont be worried.

April 5

Meet
100m - 12.3
4x1

I didn’t feel good at all. Just didn’t feel fast (relatively). I had a rushed/incomplete warm up and just felt flat. I am also skeptical about my time, I hate hand times. Whatever, not a big deal, first meet of the season, with no speed work being done, more racing should help. I got another meet on Thursday.

April 6

1x (75m Backward Skip, 75m Lunge, 75m Toe Walk, 75m Lunge, 150m jog)
2x 225m Tempo
abs- 150 reps

I just saw a photo from the finish line from the track meet yesterday and it further confirms my suspicions. First place and second place were given 11.6 and I was about a stride behind, maybe 2. But then kids I beat but were also given 12.3 were not that close to me that they would have the same time. So, as I suspected despite feeling awful I may not have ran as badly as it seemed. Hopefully that was the case and I still believe I have plenty to improve in.

April 7

Pre-Meet
Team Mile
Relay Hand offs
abs- 200 reps

Goals for tomorrow are to run a much better race to be fully ready when its race time, and then I’ll see what I run and hopefully be happy with it.