How to do Flying 30's correctly

Hi there!

My Question is: How to do flying sprints correctly,especially the acceleration-phase…when training VM,NOT as testing flying-times

Should the trainee save some power during the build-up and avoid a full-power acceleration to save power for the flying-meters ?
Or should he/she give full throttle from the start?

I have the feeling,that someone with low work-capacity and very fast-twitch-dominant would suffer at the flying-zone when exploding maximally from the start…

What is your recomendation?Any similar experience?

Greets from Germany!
Thomas

Do you mean MV? If not, what is VM?

Do a search on google by typing in-

flying sprints site:charliefrancis.com

flying 20s site:charliefrancis.com

and you will find great info on this matter.

But yes, you need to ease into it…no full blast. How far depends on your speed, fitness level, where you are at in training - heavy lifting for example-sub-max MV, etc. etc.

The GPP product in the store here covers it pretty well and also has charts to help out. The charts are great.

Yes,with VM i mean Velocity-Max aka Max-Velocity…

Thank you for your help,Balance!

I asked ,because i got a lot of different answers to this question from different coaches…
Wouldn’t it be more difficult for the athlet to reach his real(training!) MV when easing in?

What do you mean with “heavy lifting” in this context?
Do you mean,if your strong you need a less longer build up?Or did you mean,that after a heavy training-session you are more sore and the focus should be more on relaxing?

Ease into near your top speed from a gentler accel. over a longer distance, for example…not hit the cone/target easy. Play around with it and you will figure out what is best for you. Especially if you have some sort of timer.
Your feeling/instincts…serve you well. Original Post.

Charlie often said/wrote that his most used cue was- too relax.
He also quoted Eric Sevareid “The chief cause of problems is solutions”

Heavy Lifting phase = Sub-max work on the track. It all depends on your level for both.

O.k, that was very helpfu,thank you once again!
I’ll try a few aproaches with a few different acceleration-zones and after your recommendation also ordered a time measuring device now to test out,where my athlet (my son,16 y)reaches his topspeed at the moment…

One thing I know Charlie advised against was trying to maintain top speed for 30 meters for a fly zone. He focused more on holding the sprint position for the last 10 meters or 20 meters for flying drills. However, a 30 meter total run can be used - ex., 20 meters to build up, and the final 10 meters approaching top speed. Using a 30 meter distance may be effective in the beginning of a training season, but for intermediate and advanced athletes, they will likely not quite reach top speed with only 30 meters total. It may take a total of 40-60 meters (40+20, 50+10) to actually approach maximal velocities. Maybe even another 10 meters for elites. But certainly a young athlete or a beginner may only need 30 meters to approach their top speed, and may not need to go much farther than that in a given season.

As far as the execution of the runs, the key is to gradually/progressively/smoothly accelerate the first portion of the run (NOT hard, and not really fast either). Similar to a jumper’s approach perhaps. An analogy I use to describe to my athletes the way they should run flys is like a car gradually getting up to speed from the ramp onto a highway.

Aside from that, I no longer use a cone to determine the top speed portion of the zone. I feel like too many athletes want to treat it as an E-F speed change type of drill if they see the zones explicitly marked. So if the plan is really to accelerate for 40 meters and maintain top speed for 10 meters, I will just have a cone at the total - in this case the 50 meter mark - to let them know where to stop. In my experience, giving them the whole zone to work with allows them to accelerate more smoothly, gradually, and rhythmically. The athletes will figure out their own pattern and solution when given the whole distance to work with.