How Do You Watch Sports?

Tonight while watching a basketball game, I realized that, at different times I watch the same game differently. (obviously I’ve noticed this before, but it really stoodout to me tonight).

For example, at one point I was watching how the athletes moved, and thinking what they could do to get better. Later, I was watching from a coaches standpoint and other times I was watching from a fan’s standpoint.

My question is, How do you normally watch a sporting event. Fan, Coach, Trainer, etc.?

[QUOTE=Kaczmarski]Tonight while watching a basketball game, I realized that, at different times I watch the same game differently. (obviously I’ve noticed this before, but it really stoodout to me tonight).

For example, at one point I was watching how the athletes moved, and thinking what they could do to get better. Later, I was watching from a coaches standpoint and other times I was watching from a fan’s standpoint.

My question is, How do you normally watch a sporting event. Fan, Coach, Trainer, etc.?

I always look at who can move the smoothest, the fastest, and also who moves with little effort. Pending on the sport of course.

I watch sports from an analytical perspective. Much like you Highlander, I sub-consciously look as who is moving the fastest, best technique, most endurance, most style etc. When my favourite team or athlete is competing I watch from a more fan perspective though, just enjoying the show if ya know what I mean.

It depends on the sport for me. Football (the USA kind) is by far my favorite to watch on tv and, especially in person, live. When I watch, I combine my perspectives as a fan and as I pay attention to strategy, calling the right play at the right time, what the defense is set up to do, etc. I love it and really miss my football in the off season.

I have to admit, I’m ignorant of soccer and cricket. In soccer, I don’t know what they’re trying to do out there. I know scoring a goal is the main thing, but as for the positions, passing, etc. I don’t know what I’m watching for. Same for hockey.

My favourite sports to watch are Athletics the 100m and boxing. I felt like i was their with Maurice Greene in 2004, i was very nervous pacing up and down, it was a surreal exsperience. I was in the Zone, its incredible.

That 2004 olympic final, the build up, everything it was a very intense 15min or so.

Also in boxing, am there with whoever i support. I find myself standing up infront of the Tv throwing punches, and shelding myself when Mike Tyosn is hit, its very stressfull, and emtional. I shout very loud, swear.

When Muarice Greene won the qauter final in the olympics against Asafa Powell. I was shouting

“Hes fucking scared now, yeah thats right” repeating it.

Pointing at the Tv, my parents where just looking at me, my dad was laughing.

I get very exspressive!

Maurice Greene
Dwain Chambers i only get nervous, and emotional with these guys, its a great exsperince watching a build up to the 100m, and the climax.

That 10seconds seems so long, and you can’t quite take it all in, its like a rsuh to the system. Only after the final is finish, i slowly begin to take it all in, break the race down.

Ever since I started playing ball in college, when I watch football I catch myself trying to read the defense before almost EVERY offensive play. It has become habit to me now because that is what we are taught to do. It is a little tough because on TV you can’t catch the entire secondary and see if they are stemming or dicking around, but live is a lot easier to tell. I also pay attention to weaknesses in the defense or mismatches that might create big play oppurtunities. But when big games are on like super bowl, bowl games, etc I am watching for the enjoyment and excitement along with the skill, technique, etc.

When I watch track on TV, I watch technique, race execution and competition. Watching big races like olympic finals, relays, NCAA finals has always got my adrenaline going like I was actually the one racing. I remember that feeling watching the 400m final in 2004 and the 4x100m relay… It was intense!

I don’t mind when people analyze, but when they try to correct someone (as an onlooker or as a fan), it’s freakin’ irritating. I go and recruit with coaches from different sports, and it’s always irritating when they try to coach for the coach (or criticize the coach) or help the players. Not a lot of fun to sit next to someone like that.

And don’t get me started on parents who think they know what’s going on.

In individual sports, I watch the athletes closely before the event starts. I can usually pick who will do well and who won’t. If anyone’s interested I can post about this, but I am damn near infallible when it comes to predicting chokes, and good at seeing when an athlete will do well. Don’t know if it’s this obvious to everyone.