how do you get good endurance for FB

Last season I was in horrible shape. I was working in the weight room constantly, but i didnt hardly run. towards the end of the season i was in shape, and i had to go both ways(offense and D) i was about to die

i dont want to get in shape the hard way this year.

what do i do to be in shape for every play

ku2u, here is what I reccomend:

If you have a job, quit it.
If you have a girlfriend, dump her.
If you have a car, sell it.

Make a large pot of coffee and start reading this site.

Take the money from your car spend it on all of the CF books and DVD.

Thomas

ihave done all of the above you posted and is the CF dvd and book

ku2u, you don’t want true endurance for football. I know its just semantics (sp). I know what you mean by endurance. You want to be fit to play hard the entire game. Check out this thread:

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?p=86837#post86837

Thomas, what do you mean by not “wanting true endureance for football”, but being fit enough to play hard during the entire game? Could you please expound on this for me?

Buck, what I mean is the game is played with short, explosive bursts lasting somewheres around 7 seconds or so. Sometimes longer. Sometimes shorter. The actual time spent playing the game is about 12-15 minutes even thought the game clock reads 12 or 15 minute quarters. The rest period between plays is somewhere around 30 seconds or so. Plus you get timeouts, injury timeouts, half-time, etc…

You want to train for the energy demands of the game. You want to have great strength, speed and explosiveness. Training for endurance, like running a few miles a day, is not training the energy system that is used in playing football.

My feeling is, if you can’t play hard for the entire game, your work capacity is too low as well as your overall absolute body strength. This has nothing to do with endurance.

Thomas

Thomas, so the tempos are able to train the anaerobic sytem properly even though they are not at 100%, or is it a combination of tempos and the speed work (which utilizes full rest intervals right?) ? Or is it the fact that they bring up work capacity for football players?

Something I saw that while looking through Joe Defranco’s site was that he includes specific anaerobic endurance days (I believe 3, one linear, one football specific, one stongman) to get his guys ready for the season. What are your thoughts on including specific days to hit these energys sytems?

Sorry to be asking so many questions about all of this stuff but the whole thing is kind of new to me after growing up being told that running gassers and millions of sprints wiht minimal rest is the best way to get in shape for the season. The ideas of running semi sprints at less than 75% is something that can increase endurance is hard to understand for me at times.

Thanks

Thomas, so the tempos are able to train the anaerobic sytem properly even though they are not at 100%, or is it a combination of tempos and the speed work (which utilizes full rest intervals right?) ? Or is it the fact that they bring up work capacity for football players?

Tempos will develop the work capacity along with other GPP work.

Something I saw that while looking through Joe Defranco’s site was that he includes specific anaerobic endurance days (I believe 3, one linear, one football specific, one stongman) to get his guys ready for the season. What are your thoughts on including specific days to hit these energys sytems?

Split these up on three seperate days as they can be three different types of energy systems being trained.

well, i found a better way to get in shape

simply play touch football or something we do called 7 on 7

ku2u, you wrote that you were in horrible shape last year. Touch football and 7 on 7 are great activities that you can use from time to time. I don’t think they have great benefits for most linemen. Good for GPP for everyone else. However, I like a more structured training plan that lets me know where and what my athletes’ training is going to be. Not set in stone of course. But a plan. Also, you won’t develop top end speed just by playing those games.
To each his own. This is just my thoughts.

Charlie? Anyone else’s ideas.

Where is Football Coach when you need him?

Thomas this is a little secret i learned over the years. I wanted to have cat-like reaction time to the ball. After going through many so-called football reaction drills that didnt work I finnaly came across Raquet Ball. When I first started playing I was pretty quick but it enhanced my reaction and direction.

Genetics play a vital role in Football!

AMG, no secret! Raquet ball is great for first-step quickness.

I used to play in the summers years ago. However, at 40, I like my Achilles tendons right where they are. Firmly attached to my calcanei.

Thomas, I thought all three would be targeting the anaerobic system? Isn’t that what football players use all the time.

How would you integrate all three of these days into a football players running program?