Highschool 100m Program

Hello guys,

I’m 17 years old and have been doing
track for 1 years now.

My best 100m was this summer 11.3 electronic timed.

I’m 1.71cm in height
63kg’s weight

Squat: Never tested 1rm, can do 90 kg for 8 reps or so

Bench: Can do 75 kg for 4reps or so

Standing long jump: 2.76meters

At the moment I am training without my coach as he will be away for 1-2 months. He sends us our training programs.

What kind of a strength training program should I follow, as I’m getting very mixed opinions on this ranging from full body workouts 3 days a week to none at all.

Also I think I’m sitting back a lot on sprints, what could I do to fix that?(Should I tuck my hips in, if so how?)

And I seem to get up too early on the drive phase?

Also in the summer on 100m races I was feeling that through the last 30-40meters my stride was getting out of control and I felt as if my stride was following me from behind ?

Thanks in advance!

I can post my current training program if anyone wants to take a look

Post your current training program so we can see where you’re coming from.

Monday:

Squat
Lunge
Barbell Bench
Pushup/dips
Row
Core(Hanging leg raise, weighted situp)

Tuesday:

Hurdle drills(don’t know what they’re called in english but basically forward and sideways drills with the hurdles)

10 sets of double leg jumps over hurdles, consists of a total of 8 hurdles per set

10x30meters anaerobic sprints(for 30 meters I sprint %75, then I jog 30 meters or so)

8x40meters anaerobic sprints(same as above)

Wednesday:

5x200meters %75 (at the moment I’m running them around 25.9s at practice)

Medicine ball throws from front and back

Thursday:

OFF

Friday:

4x50 meters of hops, don’t know how to describe them but basically we start from a slight jog and start to jump forwards with one leg trying to go as far as possible, it’s kind of like the second jump of a triple jumper but repeated over a distance of 50 meters)

4x30meters of the same jump but only on one leg

1x300meters
1x250meters
1x200meters
1x150meters
at %80

The times from my last workout was 41.0, 32.9, 18.5 and 12.6
Saturday:

6 sets of various hops and jumps on stairs(double legged jumps, single legged jumps, side to side jumps etc)

8x50meters from running start, slowly accelerating to %80-90 of top speed

Medicine ball throws

Sunday:

Off

This was my training program for the last 3 weeks, it changes every 2-3 weeks or so. Sometimes depending on the weather I replace one track workout with an extra weightlifting workout.

I haven’t been using spikes since 7-9weeks but I will start to use them after the end of this training program which will be in one weeks time.

Oh by the way;
before each workout I do a 4 lap warm up run
followed by a full body stretch and
about 10 to 15 minutes of drills (such as high knee raises etc.)

and to end each workout I do a 2-3 lap cooldown followed by some static stretching

Are your track workouts set in stone? You say they are dictated by your coach…are they all similar to the one you’ve laid out here? How much time do you have to lift?

Regarding your technique issues, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Increase your core work a bit to help maintain the sprint position. Continue to improve your strength and your technique will take care of itself, as long as you are staying relaxed.

At the moment they are only guidelines because my coach sends them from email as he is abroad and will be so for the upcoming 2 months or so.

I basically try to follow the workouts as much as I can but usually I end up doing 2 weightlifting workouts instead of just one.

They are similar in a sense but every 3 weeks or so they change, for example the 3 week program before this one was focused more on shorter sprints, the new program has a bigger emphasis on longer sprints(for endurance maybe?)

At the moment my biggest concern is what kind of an attitude I should take towards weightlifting, I get quite a lot of mixed opinions from people regarding that, and I’m confused on how often to do weightlifting , which excercises to include, and the rep range etc.

The exercises mean nothing to me simply because I don’t know what training you received to get you where you currently are.

I would have 3 days for recovery, 2 of them together. Simply because of you are 17.

Angie??

I basically started track around december last year, and I trained with my coach using similar programs to which I wrote here, of course it was more different as that was closer to season;

I started doing weightlifting about 3 months ago.

Thats my training background basically =)

My advice to you would be to keep it simple.

Squats and a hanmstring movement, bench and a upper body pulling movement, after the rest of your workout on high-intensity running days. Use sub-max weights, 5-10 reps, and maintain good form. Maybe 1-3 times per week, depending on the rest of your work. Remember that weights are a general stimulus and must never take too much of your energy to take away from the sprints.

A good dose of low intensity core and abdominal training throughout your week will be good, as well.

Don’t worry too much about your technique in the sprints, as your strength grows and your training age increases, the techinque will sort itself out, as long as you are staying relaxed.