High School Sprint Program

I have been around the forum for a while, silently reading. I am intending to submit our training for the season as well as the results.

Today was our day one of our 7th week in the weight room of an 8 week program, which will then lead us into our preparation for our indoor and outdoor season. I am encouraged to remind everyone that I am working in many cases with sprinters who fit into two areas. To free up my time in the weight room our sprinters are split into two groups, 1/2 complete upper body lifts and then complete a tempo run and the other 1/2 does a lower body workout.

Because we have so much time know, our primary focus is on developing strength and improving fitness.

Our lower body workout today

10 minutes of abs 45 secs on and 15 sec recovery

Power Cleans 5 sets of 6 as a warm up between 100 lbs-135 lbs depending on their max

Low Box Squat 5 sets of 6 reps 3-5 minutes between sets. A low box means they squat to parallel. Basically this workout is very difficult for every kid, they seem to have hit a wall. Today’s exercise required them to complete 10 box jumps after each set.

Dead lifts 5*6

Power Runner (Charlie would call these Reverse Leg Press) 5*6

Reverse Hyper 5*10

Tomorrow will be

Bench Press 56
Dumbbell Rows 5
Lat Pull Downs 56
Barbell Tricep Extensions 5
Piston Curls 5*6

When finished with upper body the athletes did Tempo Runs 75% of 100m max. with 30 sec recovery.

100/200m runners do 16

400m runners do 20

Wednesday is a technique day. The cool part is the kids love this day.

Your lower body session may be too much for one session.

When we first started the program a year and half ago, I thought the same thing but the results from the program have been tremendous. At the same time, I know some of the first timers really seem to hit the wall during the squats. When this happens we pull a lot of weight off the bar and go back to teaching proper mechanics in performing a squat.

Thanks for posting! what is the running sessions for the week other than wednesday technical day?

Many coaches think the power runner is similar to the reverse leg press but it’s different in many ways. BOL with the training.

ESTI,

scheduled for for another tempo run on their upper body day. Our main focus is outdoors, so we spend much of the indoor season training, beginning when we get back from our winter break. That gives us 4 full months of training.

Do you think that the power runner is more quad dominant than the reverse leg press? When I used a power runner, I remember there not being a ton of hip hyperextension which made it feel very quad dominant.

Yes, that’s one of the differences. Most coaches see a similar motion and think it’s the same thing. The power runner company claims if you position your foot a certain way it’s less quad dominant.

RB34,

Your points are legitimate concerns, especially with so many people not understanding how to teach the proper technique, whether it be running or in the weight room. I have attached a couple of pictures which I hope help ease your concerns. I have been coached extensively to teach my athletes the proper form in the weight room, in order to maximize the development of the hamstrings and gluts

One thing I would change with the power runner tech, always have the support leg fully on the ground an idea supported by James Smith. Your picture shows the athlete support leg off the ground.

Back in the weight room today.

We had our technique day Wednesday and yesterday was a tempo day.

100/200 kids had 16*100m in a 50m hall in 18-20 secs with 30 sec rest.

400m kids 20*200m in 18-20 with 30 sec rest.

In the weight room we are nearing the end of the program for those who been on the program. Others still have another 2.5 weeks to complete our 8 week cycle.

10 min of abs 45 seconds on with 15 sec rest
5*4 power cleans to warm up

low squat(to parallel) 43
dead lift 5
Power Runner 56
Ham and glute 5

Fitness levels looked good today.

abs for 12 minutes today.

lower body
group one is finishing their 8 week program. The second group (football players) started a little later they have 2 weeks remaining, the only difference is they worked on a high box and had 5 sets of 6.

4 sets of 3 low box squat
Romanian Dead Lifts
Power Runner
Ham and Gluts
reverse hypers

i split the group into two parts, so only half is working the lower body at a time
those who did upper body today had 20*100m tempo after their lifts
they had incline bench
dumb bell rows
lat pulls
curls

the tempos went real well. Their form held up real well.

techniques and starts tomorrow. We start our sprint work in three weeks at Spire Institute on their 300m track. Kids are excited.

Finally able to get back online with updates. Between Christmas and New Years we finished the initial phase of our strength program and the results very exciting. I believe several of the athletes were astonished by how much they were able to lift. As a note, with two of the girls rather than complete a one lift max after a certain weight, I had them complete lift the weight as many times as possible.

Last week our intended program was to run 60’s with a 20m acceleration on Monday and Flying 30’s on Thursday. However, due to a Polar Vortex and school being closed for 3 days, we lost most of last week. We did manage to get in the flying 30’s but the kids were pretty stale because they had not been active since maxing during our lifting session last Thursday.

This week started our more structured program, weather permitting. Monday, we again ran our 60’s with a 20m acceleration. Today, we got outside on the track for a tempo workout 8*200m in 32-35 with 1:00 rest. We came inside and worked on hurdles which consisted of hurdle stretches, stationary drills, and a series of hurdle 3 step rhythm drills. Tomorrow, we will be in the weight room and weather depending, I may have a group of sprinters outside.