Hey Charlie

A while back I had a thread in the debate section about Frappier Acceleration. At one point you asked me how many sub 9.9 sprinter had done Frappier. I know that this is not the same, and you may not even care, but a couple of athletes that have utilized the high speed treadmill just broke the masters 4x400. I do not say that we “trained” them, just that they used the treadmill as a tool to advance their training. The treadmill did not mess up their form, deactivate their hamstrings, or make them slower as other people believe. I do not see this as proof that the treadmill is the only means of training sprinters (I know that it is not). I see it merely as an example of the possibilities that the treadmill has to offer.

Thanks in advance for any input on this topic Charlie.

I’m not Charlie, but I would like to add a few findings myself.

The treadmill can be utilized during the winter for some aerobic work – not necessarily tempo, but something close to that (a quick aerobic workout – just to break the sweat – before moving on to circuit training or whatever). Sometimes, when hard indoor surface is everything you have, and the ground is covered with snow, there treadmill is one option to have your aerobic work done. And if you find a good treadmill, there will be some good cushion also.

The other aspects are related to injuries, especially achilles-tendon problems. Running on a treadmill is less taxing on your achilles tendon (basically due to the same ting that is said to screw up your running form – the ground is moving under you; you get freebies). The treadmill can be the fist step in recovering from these kind of injuries; used before moving on to normal running.

In short, I don’t think the treadmill will help the running itself; I only use it sometimes for aerobic replacement (when I still feel I have to run) or if having slightly aching tendons. I dont think it will screw you up too much, if any at all.

I have heard people get very good results from Frappier. I also know of some good coaches that use the system and they think the treadmill running is very useful for improving form.

I plan to try it myself in the near future.I think the treadmill might be a useful tool to teach younger athletes correct form and I want to confirm or refute these ideas. Hopefully I won’t end up injured!

I am not going to start a debate here, because last time I did that the entire thread was deleted. Also, there are no “freebies” on an adequately constructed treadmill.

What facilities are located around you? I would definitely check them out before signing up. Just like coaches, you never know who knows what they are doing.

Bruny Surin did a lot of treadmill work. He was by no means slow and was VERY VERY fast over 60 meters :slight_smile:

cheers

Bruny had a lot of ham problems too. It’s no secret that I think that high speed treadmill is a problem but perhaps there are means to keep it safer than the reports that have come back to me. I urge you to pull up the threads in the archives on this topic (of course, low speed tempo on a treadmill is a useful tool.

Hi Charlie,

What speed would you consider “Low” speed on a treadmill? 12mph? (That is the fastest the treadmill in my gym can go unfortunately)

cheers
chris

FirebirdWrler,

I’m curious what your personal history with sprinting is. Have you competed and trained as a sprinter? If so what are you running now and what have you ran in the past and what sort’ve effects has the treadmill had on your times? How would you personally compare treadmill training compared with training sans treadmill?

The thing you guys don’t get is Frappier does not consist of Speed Work, it consist of uphill moderate/fast runs. You must drive off the treadmill to overcome gravity, just like running on the track. Hamstring activation is there just like running on the track. And if anything it is more taxing on the achilles than track work, which is why the program gradually increases the intesity, elevation, and volume.

I agree that doing SPEED WORK on a treadmill of any kind is STUPID. :confused: My 2 cents.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

I was going to pop into sportdimensions in london:

http://www.sportdimensions.com/sdspeed/

I’m not doing it because I expect great results, i’m doing it to learn what is good about their program because I always look to see if there are little things that I can use. Perhaps it will be a huge waste of money but it is something else to check off the list.

Re treadmills: I have now been using these for 3 months with those athletes (usually rugby) who have very poor form. It works great because i can get them doing tempo on it infront of a mirror twice a week and they can watch thier shoulders, knee height and thier arm action. For those who lack co-ordination it is a great tool. Also, I don’t need to be there and it is something they can do on thier own, inside in the warm.

I’m not planning to use it for acceleration work or top speed work any time soon though!

Be careful with your typical fitness treadmill. If the treadmill is not constructed with particular properties, then ground reaction forces will be different, and hence, muscle recruitment patterns will change. Woodway makes a pretty good highspeed treadmill, but these things are not cheap. I really don’t know of any fitness treadmills that you could do top speed training on. Most don’t go above 12 mph, and we have 10-11 year olds that can run 12 mph without any problems.

Does this mean you would use a high-speed Woodway treadmill for acceleration/speed work?

Thanks!

Not likely. See any of Firebrds posts on Adequate treadmills.

Injuries I have seen in the last six months:

2 dislocated fingers
4 hamstring pulls
1 face plant

1 injury is too many!!!

Don’t do overspeed training and you won’t have
1 faceplant
or any hamstring injuries.

Not a component of overspeed training, high intesity short to medium intervals, moderate speed, moderate to high elevation.

By the way check out GRF during downhill and uphill running.

Journal of Biomechanics March 2005
:eek:

Injuries I’ve seen in the last week:

1 dislocated finger (in a soccer game, went back in pretty easy though)
1 subluxed rib (mine, happened during a wrestling lesson)
1 dislocated rib (also mine, happened 3 hours later while wrestling in my last lesson of the day)
1 almost sprained ankle (athlete rolled his foot doing plyos)

Note: None of these injuries occured while on the treadmill. Why? Because we know how to use the treadmill safely. Actually, I can’t even remember the last time anyone got hurt on our treadmill.

Actually the hamstring injuries are not from overspeed but running up hill all the time.

I read that biomechanics journal. Its said ground forces are the same both on the treadmill as on the ground. That means i can do all my running on the ground and save $50,000!!! LOL

Just kidding, its true if its used right injuries can be minimized

Unfortunately there are no hills in TX, so $50,000 is cheaper than what it costs to have the grounds crew build one 40m long. :smiley:

good point!