Heptathlete LJ Training

Could anyone give me some advice here please.

The girl in the video is a 17 year old heptatlete that I coach that finished 2nd in our national senior championships this year. In the video she jumps very close to 6m, but in competitions she jumps low 5m’s.

Are there any technical mistakes (obviously there are) that could lead to such a big diffrence between her practice jumps and competition jumps?

Normal speed
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4572352898719499954&hl=en

Medium speed
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6704080530712629531&hl=en

Slomo
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8286573635699192257&hl=en

Would need to see a few steps coming into the approach and also a couple competition jumps. That video you posted doesn’t look like 6m to me (no offense). Does she take full approach in practice jumps?

yeah i agree…

doesnt look like 6m at all more like 5m…but she does look fast of the board and her take off angle is very good…

need to see run up and a couple of different angles for landing etc…

how many strides is full run? and need comp videos…

The jump measured 5.85. I think the angle on the landing is a bit misleading as the camera was in line with the board. Anyhow, she did take a few jumps off a full approach, but most were off a half approach. This one was half. I don’t have comp videos right now, and I am not sure if I can post the ones I have as they are from our national broadcaster and copyright might apply.

Are you suggesting that there might be a problem in transition from run-up into the jump?

ok, actually makes sense for a younger jumper to jump further from half than full…how many steps is full and how many is half?

does she get the same lift from full? is her take off angle for same from full? id suspect not…

Holy hell well if she goes 5.85m off 1/2 approach then her approach just might be too long in a meet (or too fast to put a decent takeoff together).

Again, how many strides is a full run?

She does not quite get the same lift off a full approach. The full approach is 18 steps. I had her jump off a 1/2 approach in minor competitions but she does not feel comfortable doing it in competitions. She felt to slow.

She takes quite a few step to get up to speed hence the 18 steps.

Could it just be a case of not having take-off/flight/landing control at to fast a run up pace?

mostly added speed from a full run means the take off is way to fast for the athlete, therefore they do not get as much power transfer from it…hense they jump less…control may also be a factor…

but im guessing this…if she jumps 5.80m from 9 steps…and 5m from 18…then she will jump best right now from 12-16 steps…try 14…im guessing that will be best for her…and im sure she’ll jump further than 5.80m from 12 steps…

Yes. You don’t want maximum speed, you want maximum controllable speed. As long as her runway and takeoff are sound you shouldn’t have to worry about flight/landing too much.

I might try something like 16 step approach possibly with a moving (walk-in) start.

See if you can post a vid. We post IAAF, NCAA, USATF, US Television stuff here all the time.

She won’t be jumping at all right now. We are in the middle of our winter and she broke her ankle a month ago.

I will implement your ideas once we start jumping again. Thank you for the comments they make sense and are very valuable and I will implement them and experiment further.

ok cool man…

also…just a tip on short approaches which may help alot with this girl…

when moving back from 10, to 12,14,16 etc steps i mean in early season training up until comps…

i usually look at the progression like this…

when someone can consistantly get

a) good height
b) good take off angle
c) control flight and landing

from a specific run up, then they are ready to move back a further 2 steps. Until you reach optimum steps (16-20 for women)

this will also tell you exactly where she can jump best from…and ensures good technique when they reach competitions…

Man I would watch having her jump off the edge of such a small pit like that, you’ll have her break her ankle again hitting the end of the pit.

What’s her 100m pb? I’m not sure if 18 steps is too much at hear level, but probaby it is and you would benefit from shortening it.

But if she is running faster then she can handle I think it’s better to adapt to the speed and make her jump 6.40 maybe in the end of the season rather then adjusting the speed and make her jump 6.00.

6.40m? ? ? one step at a time…thats very big…and she’s still very young…i think 18 is too much, pro women go from 18-20 steps…

i think for her development 14-16 is perfect…do not rush her along, she needs to be technically sound from the speed of 14-16 before anything longer…as she develops and gets stronger and faster then the longer run is needed…

but remember, you would much prefer develop a great senior athlete than a great junior athlete…and the two do not always go hand in hand…

Can you develop this further? I thought that those things came hand in hand. You need to be a great junior (18-22) if you want to compete in a high lvl as a senior.

I agree with your run-in approach.

well, i said that becuase, in my country there are and have been many great junior athletes or either got burnt out or got injured and never made it at the senior level…

Alot of that is due to training age, the body only has a certain amount of hard training in it before it breaks down badly…some people are lucky of course…

but say an athlete has always been way ahead of her potential from when she was like 10, she would have been pushed hard, and when she 22, she already has 12 years of training and her “carear” in the pro ranks hasnt even started yet…therefore she may well get hurt and burnt out and ive seen it often…

many times a good young athlete will make a good senior, but if you had a preference, i think you’d choose a good senior athlete…

i was basically just saying that this girl is in no rush to jump 6.20m+ and if progessed nicely, she’ll get there for sure…

Yikes! She’s taking off way too close to that pit. If she overstrides by 10 inches she’ll hurt herself on the edge of that pit.

Her take off, flight, and landing all look really good for a young athlete. It’s hard to judge the take off because the video begins too close to take-off.

Thanks for all the comments, they are all well appreciated.

The video is really weird, it looks like she is taking off right at the edge of the run up. She was working off the scratch line which is at least 30cm from the edge of the pit. In the video it looks like she is jumping off concrete. The runup actually extends all the way into the sand. Weird.

:slight_smile: She didn’t break her ankle in the LJ, she did it playing netball.