Help with sprint training?

All through primary school, when I was about 9-12 years old i was a quick sprinter, mostly middle to long distance sprints (200m-800m) although I wasn’t bad at the 100m either. I was the quickest player in my whole comp in league, and made a few state carnivals for athletics. You get the point, I wasn’t a bad runner.

BUT

When I went to high school, due to compulsory sport I had to drop my athletics. Since then, it’s been all downhill for me speed wise. I’m now in year 10, almost 16 and most of the forwards in my team can keep up with me, which is quite embarrasing . I also had a bad hamstring injury I carried all through the season which never healed properly, so I never really sprinted at 100% for all the 7 months of the season. So 2 weeks ago I started sprint training in an effort to get my speed back up. The plan is, in 4 months time when footy season rolls around again I can work up some pace again. I’ve been doing 3 sessions a week, and have seen a slight improvement in averages, however I’m running the 100m in the 15’s at the moment. Quite depressing when I think 4 years ago my PB was 14 flat. Over the two weeks my average has improved from high 15’s to low 15’s. I’m guessing if I can almost improve a second over two weeks, then four months of hard slog should get me down to low 14’s or better, but I’m just checking to be sure.

So, if you’re still with me, if anyone can help me with some training drills or anything to improve speed over 100m I would greatly appreciate it.
At the moment I’m doing three sessions a week. 5x100m sprints, 5x50m sprints, 5x25m sprints. Not a long recovery, just jog back to the line and go again to work up a bit of offseason fitness while I’m at it. I also go to the gym for weight training 1-3 times a week.
Will this work for me? Or is there anything else I should be adding to it to see faster/better results.

And yes I know it’s hillarious that I’m running 15’s when I’m 16 years old. Cut me some slack, I’ve only just started sprinting again after a 7 month break =P. If it at all matters, I’m 6 foot and 75kg.

Hi pearso,
Did you get the help you asked for? If not, send me a message…click on my user name “relentless” to send the message.