Help with HS Practices

Unlimited…
it sounds ok, at least you have some good recovery between, although, you understand, that details of your training are missing…

for the HS workouts: allow me to insist on this, i wouldn’t necessarily extend the accel phase of the 80s, or any running drill, that far, at least for now; KitKat’s concurrent schedule, of course, is fine, but it’s also applied to fine athletes! my concern is that the farther you accel, the higher speeds you reach -if not top speed already by 30m by the kids- and the higher the injury risk is; why not insist a bit more on shorter distances for the accel phase, as it’s already applied in current practices- and if top speed is the focus, let accel -more stress- out and have some short -initially- build-ups?

also, speed/special endurance with 50s is good, but are all being applied (accel, top speed, sp. end.) at the same time? if time is short, stick with accel and sp. end.

hope it helps!

Eh this was my plan really:

Sunday: Tempo
Monday: Low Volume sprint workout(90-95% accels 20-40m) + Squat/Deadlift workout
Tuesday: Tempo
Wednesday: Accel/Max V(both 100%) + Bench workout
Thursday: Tempo
Friday: off
Saturday: Speed Endurance(100%) + light oly workout

Oops…forgot to mention im a 100m runner…just thought id ask the question here since i noticed percents being stated

sounds ok, but why not having the heavy weights along with the 100% accel/speed work? just to give more time between the two 100% sessions; not sure if the heavy squat/deadlift allow 100% running on Wed… if it works for you, no problem!

also, why squat and deadlift on the same day?

and lastly, are you doing top speed and speed endurance in the same phase for too long? Charlie says the two are not going together, i think… from personaly experience, when doing top speed this winter and starting doing speed endurance at the same time for a while, the latter wasn’t going anywhere; had some good improvement in speed endurance only after “leaving” top speed (and really heavy weights) and this after some time (~3 weeks)

hope it helps!

I put the heavy weights with the lower percent sprint day so that my lifting wouldnt be hindered much. I’m not even going that heavy, only around 80% for squat currently and 50% for deadlifts mostly…except every 3rd week im going heavy. Lifting is important to me, but I love training the 100m too, so its a tough situation for me. Squat and deadlift on the same day because I dont want to deal with feeling good on squat day but then feeling tired for deadlift day. I normally am able to knock them both out on the same day fine.

I seem to sprint fine on wednesdays :cool:

Well, I dont know if I messed up what I was doing. I dont exactly know when I want to peak, and if I’m even going to do track (because I dont want to deal with training under less than ideal conditions with the track team)…but if meets start lets say around April(every saturday…but i heard there will be some meets on week days…not sure which week day…and this is one thing that i feel would really throw off my routine), and I just basically started speed endurance again this weeek or next week, you really think i should take out max V now? I thought you were supposed to train all 3 elements simultaneously, but shift the emphasis to speed endurance as spring track comes around? I’m not sure though, but it’d be great hearing what you think!

i am pretty confused to say the least from what you are saying and this comes from your confused post! :eek:

if both weights and track are important to you, that’s fine, as you have two high stimuli on separate days and both work well (perhaps i would put weights between the two 100% efforts on track, because even at 100%, you don’t get the same CNS stress from weights and especially if weights are not very high, as you say)

now, about racing, you need to have targets and work backwards! it’ll help you a lot in what and how you want to do it! i would definitely start from this one!

i started writing a few things and then realised we’re talking about 100m -vs. the HS kids…

in this case, you have to see what your strong points are and when the races you want to do well are and act accordingly

if your top speed work has been fine and racing is approaching, let speed endurance come via racing -might be a bit dissapointing to start with (lack of longer distances), but you’ll see quickly some improvement

if there is some time till important races, you can have some good workouts on speed endurance during March -don’t have to be many, but work on quality- and yes, at the same time, you can maintain accel -definitely- and top speed;

however, over time and if you keep records, you should be able to see what works best and what goes against each other

e.g., for speed endurance to develop, you might have to simply maintain max strength and do weights after a short track session, or at least on a separate day vs. speed endurance -as you already do; also, it might not be a good idea to try and further improve top speed; it’s very demanding and the most difficult element to improve on…

having done some top speed work and as you approch races, i feel that the combination of accel and speed endurance helps best; even if you have to leave out a top speed workout every other week, let’s say, since it might let your top speed being “transferred” to speed endurance and develop even more…

not sure if i’m helping here…
let us know with further details about racing dates… that’s the key, plus what you regard to be your strong points, as it might a waste of time to try and improve a weaker point of yours -by definition, you’ll have minimum returns…

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post.

So you are saying(up to this point in my reply i have only read your second paragraph) I should do my 100% accel/max v workout on monday, wednesday i would do my low volume 90-95% accel sprint workout with squats+deadlifts on this day, and saturday would be my speed endurance day(or use meets as training)?

About the races thing, what do you mean by “working backwards”?

And honestly, I would say I have a fairly good acceleration(hand timed 40 yds probably around 4.45 now) but my 100m might be 11.3 at best…not too sure. So really, I think my top speed is OK but it could use some work, and my speed endurance probably needs the most work. I honestly havent sprinted in weeks because of the snow, but 2 days ago I did a light max v/accel workout on the road, and still felt pretty darn fast, so thats good. But anyways, maybe I should still focus heavy on both Max V(with 60m sprints) and speed endurance(70-120m sprints) ? If so, what volumes do you recommend I progress up to through the season?(ive so far done 2x60m for Max V wise(not a lot huh), and 3x120m for speed endurance(when i ran this a few weeks ago i felt my fastest ever). I ask this because as I said the past few weeks I havent really been able to sprint.

I will try to find out race dates.

You are helping, i appreciate it!

yes, i can see this working, as you have a high CNS stress (Mon), working about the same aspect on Wed, but with less CNS stress -although Deadlift can be quite taxing- and again 100% on Sat; now, Mon’s and Sat’s 100% might seem close, but they are not targeting the same elements, so you should be ok… Mon’s 100% accel work though might have to change when racing starts -racing is the most taxing thing to your body in all aspects… Perhaps you might have to move both accel and weights on Tue, or as you feel along with the racing period…

if you know that 3 April is a target race, you know you’ve got 4 weeks till then and you act accordingly; it refers to putting a plan together and without targets it sounds difficult to me… you might race well in one of these, but it’ll just happen, if…

if i understand correctly the phase you are in, i would maintain the good accel/top speed and concentrate a bit more on speed endurance; the good speed is there, you just need to hold it “a bit” longer… Provided that racing starts around April time -even if it’s not important ones- there is time there for some work on the longer distance; eventually and during the racing period, you might find that good accel & speed endurance work (or a race, instead) will work just fine; you may drop slightly the top speed work, but you won’t lose it as it’s worked during racing as well; also, it might take a while till you see some improvement in both accel and speed end.; after around 3-4 weeks of concentrating more on accel & speed end. with only -some- top speed drills, if any (maintenance), both were getting better and better; you should be able to find the balance…

i have no idea about volume recommendations! i mean, you can schedule whatever you want, but as soon as you step on the track, you know how much you can handle and the programme just stays on paper… a couple of things:
your volume seems to be low anyway for your top speed; keep it there with even a bit shorter distances (40-50m); since you’ve got this gap in training -frustrating, i know!- when you “come back” to better weather training, there is no time in trying to increase volume again… (again, if racing starts in April time); two to three speed endurance drills of varying distances within or between sessions should be ok, too (e.g., the distances you described -challenge your body and see what distance works best for you); and
when you have a PB on the track, it’s time to put your trainers on, or move one to next distance drill! what are the chances of setting two PBs in a row? and why leaving the track saying “damn, i shouldn’t have done the last one…”; job is done! that’s my volume…

hope it helps!

PS oh yes, apologies to the rest of this thread, as the above, i understand, are off topic! :o

Alright sweet! I understand everything you just said, and it makes sense to me. Thanks for all the help!

And yes, apologies to the rest of the thread :stuck_out_tongue: