Help with football training

Alright I’ve been on this site asking stupid questions for a while never getting help since I’ve never really asked for a specfic question and never got a specfic answer but now I’m changing my life. I’m changing everything and the way I eat train sleep live for the new year. I want to be succesful at football this year. I’m tailoring a program which has strength speed diet amonst other things. For the speed part I come here. My question is I want to increase my speed and overall endurance but how can I obtain of course I want to run a fast 40 but I also want to have game speed if anyone can understand I"m at a skill position so I need alot speed sorry if this is not specfic enough if not I can probly reword it

Training just for football not doing track.
Only workout I’m doing is for football but I just want is help making a running routine
I’ve been working out since freshmen year ran track frosh year also numbers werent great pretty bad but got faster and betteer since then.
100 14sec
200 29.1 secs
400 68.3 secs
Maxes
Bench 225
Squat 350 parrell but barely touching a bench
Clean 135
Deadlift 275
40 5.2
I’m training for a multiple of positions for defense and one for offense
Linebacker,SS, and De. On offense have a possiblilty of trying out for TE

Height 5’11

Goals
Increase overall speed
Increase all my maxes by 20lbs
Run a 4.9 40 or faster
Have good endurnace
Loweer BF%
And increast vert
My time frame is from Jan-Early July

How old are you

How much do you weigh

What is your bodyfat %

I’m 16 and half. My bf is 18%

In a nutshell, you will find that your speed and explosiveness will increase significantly simply by decreasing your bodyfat and raising your relative strength levels.

Accomplish these two simple tasks, and then you will be in a more optimal state of physical preparedness to employ more advanced methods of training.

James is saying get stronger and get rid of the extra weight and you will be more prepared on your road to being an elite athlete. Or I guess you could try John Davies program if you want to be a tool…

What is the John Davies program. All I’m really asking for is what I can do to increase my football speed like I don’t really understand anything on this site like tempo and all that other jargon

J.C.

Since football’s your thing and your 16, if you haven’t checked out the following site, it might help you out with info.

www.defrancostraining.com

he works with alot of guys your age.

In the article section give:

“Westside For Skinny Bastards”

a read. No i’m not saying your “skinny” thats just the article name, but if you read it you’ll see it geared towards high school athletes like yourself.

td

Thanks I know already of joe defranco and will be using some of his wsb techniques in my training

As I stated, you will experience a dramatic increase in speed by lowering your bodyfat percentage, as yours is on the high end.

this is not to suggest that you ignore strength and speed development training, it is, however, a fact that it is in your best interests to become leaner and replace the fat mass with lean muscle.

Your current strength and speed levels are not bad for someone your age, although you still have not stated your bodyweight.

Sorry I thought I mentioned it. I’m 205lbs

JCASHDAKID, go ahead and review all of the information available on this site as well as Defranco’s, Elitefts, and anywhere else, and after that please feel free to email me as I work with athletes on a correspondence basis.

If you really want to become better, it is going to take hard work on the track and off the track. That is, you are going to have to put in the time to understand “tempo and all that other jargon.” This forum is a good resource to start with. I would also recommend saving your pizza money for a month and grabbing a copy of Charlie’s e-books.

You have traveled from board to board asking the same questions and never doing some of your own searching. Find a plan and stick with it and see what happens. Go from there and adjust as needed. Sitting on your ass waiting for someone to make something for you will NOT make you any faster.

Yea I’m came to that realization. I spent the whole summer trying to do diff programs switching from one to anonther but getting no results. But I still really don’t know what to I don’t understand anything on this website tho

For each term you do not understand do a search. For example you do not know what ext. tempo type it in and you will get results. Read the threads and you will begin to understand. Also take xlr8’s advice get CFTS… It will explain everything you do not understand.

J.C.

This is my only other suggestion.

If i read your original post correctly, it said you ran track last year, but are not planning on doing so this spring. I think this is a mistake. Especially given that one of your main goals with regards to football is to get faster.

Sure, you can run on your own, but there is nothing like competition to push you to your best and beyond. If you read any bio’s of top NFL draft picks, or bio’s of top college recruits, in nearly 9 out of 10 cases these guys excelled at a second sport, usually track. Alot were state or regional champions. Steven Jackson ran a 10.6 100M in track, Julius Jones ran hurdles and long jumped, Larry Fitzgerald lettered in basketball and track, Ray Lewis won a state championship in wrestling, Andre Johnson and Willis McGahee ran spring track at The U, Johnson was Big East 60 and 100M champ etc. etc.

Run track…for the pure competition :slight_smile:

in the long run your football productivity will improve from it.

TD

I had problems with the track coach plus I won’t have time to lift and I will alot of weight and strength any I think I found what I was looking for. I’m going to be using John Beradi track workout and pre camp workout What do you think of it what should I modify.

Week 1

Tuesday
Warm Up
Skips 25 yards
Stretch
Run 100m @ 75-80% then walk 100m (focus on form not on speed)
Run 200m @ 75-80% then walk 200m (focus on form not on speed)
Repeat four times
Abs and Tornado ball work
Cool down and stretch

Thursday
Warm up
Skips 25 yards
Stretch
3 x 100yd acceleration runs (start at 50% and gradually build up to 90% through 100yds)
4x 20yd sprints at 100% - start from push up position
2 min rest
4x 30yd sprints at 100% - start from 3 point stance
2 min rest
2x 40yd sprints at 100% - start from 3 point stance
2 min rest
1x 60yd sprint at 100% - start from 3pt
Cool down and stretch

Week 2

Tuesday
Warm Up
Skips 30 yards
Stretch
Run 100m @ 75-80% then walk 100m
Run 200m @ 75-80% then walk 200m
Run 100m @ 75-80% then walk 100m
Repeat four times
Cool down and stretch

Thursday
Warm Up
Skips 25 yards
Stretch
3x 100yd accelerations
4x 20yd sprints at 100% - from push up position
2 min rest
4x 30yd sprints at 100% - from 3 pt stance
2 min rest
3x 40yd sprints at 100% - from 3pt
2 min rest
2x 60yd sprints at 100% - from 3 pt
5 min rest
5 resisted starts - from front with your partner’s hands on your shoulders
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Week 3

Tuesday
Warm up
Skips 35 yards
Stretch
Run 200m @ 75-80% then walk 200m
Run 300m @ 75-80% then walk 200m
Repeat 5 times
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Thursday
Warm up
Skips 25 yards
Stretch
3x 100yd accelerations
6x Ladder runs (start in 2 pt lean stance and run through 7 hurdle sticks placed 1’, 1.5’, 2’, 2.5’, 3’, 3.5’, 4’ apart)
3x 20yd sprints at 100% - from push up position
2 min rest
4x 40yd sprints at 100% - from 3pt
2 min rest
3x 60yd sprints at 100% - from 3pt
2 min rest
2x 70yd sprints at 100% - from 3 pt
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Weeks 4 and 5

Tuesday
Same as week 3 except repeat 6 times

Thursday
Same as week 3 except 4x20, 5x40, 4x60, 3x70

Week 6

Take this week off

Week 7

Tuesday
Warm up
Skips 50 yards
Stretch
Run 400m @ 75-80% then walk 200m
Repeat 6 times
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Thursday
Warm Up
Skips 25 yards
Stretch
3x 100yd Accelerations
4x 30yd sprints at 100% - from push up position
8x 40yd sprints at 100% - from 3 pt (rest 3 min after #4)
4x 60yd sprints at 100% - from 3pt ( rest 4 min after #2)
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Week 8

Tuesday
Warm up
Skips 55 yards
Stretch
Run 400m @ 75-80% then walk 200m
Run 400m @ 75-80% then walk 100m
Repeat 3 times
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Thursday
Warm up
Skips 25 yards
Stretch
3x 100yd accelerations
3x 20yd sprints at 100% - from push up position
4x 10yd cable resisted starts
4x ladder run
12x 40yd sprints at 100% - from 3pt (rest 4min after #6)
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Week 9

Tuesday
Warm up
Skips 60 yards
Stretch
Run 200m rest 30sec
Run 300m rest 45 sec
Run 400m rest 90 sec
Run 400m rest 90 sec
Run 300m rest 45 sec
Run 200m
Rest for 8 min
Repeat
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Thursday
Warm up
Skips 25 yards
3x 100yd accelerations
3x 20 yard sprints at 100% - from push up position
4x 10yd cable resisted starts
4x ladder run
4x 30yd sprints at 100% - from 3pt
12x 40yd sprints at 100% - from 3pt (rest 4 min after #6)
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Week 10

Tuesday
Warm up
Skips 60 yards
Stretch
Run 100m rest 30sec
Run 200m rest 40 sec
Run 300m rest 60 sec
Run 400m rest 90 sec
Run 400m rest 90 sec
Run 300m rest 60 sec
Run 200m rest 40 sec
Run 100m
Rest for 8 min
Repeat
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Thursday
Warm up
Skips 25 yards
Stretch3x 100yd accelerations
6x ladder run
4x 20yd sprints at 100% - from push up position
8x 40yd sprints at 100% - from 3 pt (rest 2 min after #4)
Rest 3 min
4x 60 yd sprints at 100% - from 3pt (rest 2 min after #2)
Rest 3 min
2x 80yd sprints at 100% - from 3pt
Abs and Tornado ball
Cool down and stretch

Week 11

Tuesday
Same as week 10

Thursday
Same as week 10

Seems like we have taken similar paths. I bought all CF’s eBooks and man oh man they are awesome. I recommend you get them as soon as possible!

JC,

i promise i’ll stop after this but i got to push back. I ain’t trying to be a pain in the ass, its just that i’m an old guy and would like to see you reach your best.

You had problems with the track coach?

What if the football coach wins the lottery, moves to the Bahamas and they make the track coach the new football coach? You gonna quit football?? Of course not. Its a poor excuse. Do you quit anytime you run into a problem?

If you run track you won’t have time to lift.

Bullshit. Westside guys (one of, if not the strongest group of lifters in the world), lift 4 times a week, each session is an hour or less. Do they know what their doing? I think so. That’s ONLY 4 hours a week

Your running plan shows Tuesdays and Thursdays. How often do you think the high school football kids down in South Florida are running?? Better question, how many days a week DONT THEY RUN??? Hell, i’m nearly 3 times your age ( i train amateur boxers) and i run more than twice a week. Football, like boxing is speed, speed, speed.

But the main thing to me is the competition you’ll miss. We got kids that come in the gym, hit the bags, skip the rope, they think they’re in shape, them we put them in the ring (i.e.competition) and after a round or two are sucking wind and they realize they ain’t in shape at all. Second, we always put guys into the ring with guys that are better than they are. This is how the less skilled fighter gets better. Justin Gatlin (gold medal 100M Athens) trains here in NC. Does he run alone? Of course not, he runs with a team, including Shawn Crawford (gold medal 200M Athens). They push each other and they have have a coach (trevor graham) to push them both. Coincidence they both took home gold??? No.

Nothin beats competition, you came on this site lookin to increase your speed.

my advice…run track, shove it down the track coach’s throat, show him he ain’t got nothin on you, and that you don’t quit.

Merry xmas

TD