Help on running form

Does anyone know an example of good form when running? I heard on TV that if you perfect your form it can shave tenths off of your forty.

How is this for a running program for speed.
10 yard starts - 5
20 yard sprints - 3
30 yard flys form running 80% - 3
40 yard sprints - 2
50 yards sprints - 2

adversion welcome.

firstly if you want to see perfect running form i would look up carl lewis running.he is by far the greatest technical sprinter ever.you can go to his site and check him out from there.

secondly you can shave 10ths of your forthy but with proper training overall.the first 10-20m in a sprint is strenght so your weight room will improve this but after that sprint tecnique comes into play.

thirdly…running programmes are highly individual.i could ask you soo many questions but you must do the work yourself.there are great threads in this site about your topic so get searching

I looked on Carl Lewis’s site and can’t find him running on there. Is there a link to another site or am I missing something?

Curt

Running Videos
LJ Videos

Thanks,
Curt

No way! I rate BJ ahead of Lewis.

And i rate Mo Greene ahead of both of them :smiley:

Ben Johnson was phenomenal but we’re talking about football here and the focus is on acceleration and i don’t think the bullet start is a good model to base technique on. The bullet is super fast to 10m but suffers in the later stages of accleration, Ben could pull it off cos he would get 1 step ahead of the competition and had another “burst” of acceleration at 20m due to the years of cone drills.

It is really better to describe the fundamentals of sprint technique than watch other athletes. For a start a begginer (unexperienced observer) would not know what to look for. If an athlete i train does want to look at other WC athletes i would try to find an athlete who has a similar technique (we don’t want a bunch of Justin Gatlin inpersonators, or whoever the “in” athlete is at the time) because we are looking at fine tuning, the biggest benefit coming mentally in that the athlete will picture themselves running as well as the athlete they have been watching. This would obviously be done only after the fundamentals are in place and be discussed between me and the athlete.

Lets discuss the basic fundamentals:

The main points to be addressed in acceleration runs are:

• Complete triple extension out of each stride
  • Straight line from head to toe
  • Minimal dorsiflexion on foot strike
  • Work the arms hard
  • Possible cues: Piston the legs, keep it long, strong ankles.

As with all technique a significant portion of it is strength based; so the standard posterior chain development, plus with young athletes claves are probably under developed.

As far as sprint sessions are involved the best way is resisted runs, preferably uphill starts, if not towing.

Towing vs. uphill?

Anyone feel one is better than the other? Does he need a parachute or is there something else to tow? Up hill-- not towing up hill as well, right?

Thanks,
Curt

Both have a similar effect of allowing you to keep low and drive; hills 'coz the ground is rising up infront of you, and towing a sled or tyre etc… 'coz you can “lean” agianst the harness. They also both increase resistance which develops strength and slows the athlete down a little which gives them more feeling of what they are doing.

Hills are more natural and i would always prefer them for accelerations. The waist harness when you are towing creates all the resistance around this area and it can force athletes to bend at the waste to compnesate. For max V on the other hand towing a light resistance like a parachute might be better because the foot strikes in a more natural position under the body on the flat. Plus towing can be done on the track which is useful if you are following up with unresisted runs.

I wouldn’t recommend towing uphill for anyone other than powerlifters who may benefit from a reduced injury risk from the lower leg speed that would be possible with such an activity.