Gym workout for sprinting?

[QUOTE=DavidG;249240]

Do you mean because if I do the same exercises on both days it will keep my muscles ‘ready’ for the next session? Most times if I only squat once a week, I will have soreness and tightness the next squat session. If I squat twice a week, I have no issues with tightness.

So if I were to pick a group of exercises I could repeat each time, which ones and how many would you choose? Yes. Bench/Incline, Squat, Rdl/Hypers, Lat pd/Row

Squat, bench and dead seem to be the core lifts. Especially bench as I that’s something I should always be able to do, even if my legs are tired. Be careful with the deadlifts past gpp.

Don’t be afraid to lift heavy weights. Depending on the athlete heavy weights could do good things. With how skinny and weak I am right now when I return back to training I will be lifting heavy weights.

Hiey guys… It is years ago I read on Mo Greene home page (doesnt exist) that he recomended - less weight and more reps is much much better. I do not have any clue about what less weight and more reps is for him, but I know that his max bp is 365lb. And I do not think doing many reps will lead to increasing PB. What do you think about what Maurice Greene meant?

Mo has changed, as has squatting. I remember a couple/few years ago when people showed videos of 1/4 squats and people here laughed at it. But it turns out that ATG/half squats exceed the ROM needed in sprinting (including starts) and 1/4 squats allow more force to be developed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRY_J9Iy9mE

I’m not so sure about this. If you have a look at the T-Nation articles Charlie wrote for, a number of times he emphasised that his athletes always squatted below parallel to activate the hamstrings.

You don’t lift weights to mimic sprinting technique. You do it to strengthen muscles.
You could argue that most stretching and mobility work exceeds the rom required for sprinting, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have benefit for sprinting…

Yeah. You don’t even need to lift to get faster. It’s pretty trivial anyway you cut it. Unless you’re just going too high of intensity and too high of volume in the weight room, then I think it becomes a problem. You’re better off focusing more on stretching and decreasing your own agonist/antagonist resistance, which will allow you to get into better positions easier, and increase your ability to relax.

The francis weight video is very good, the one referenced by the other people posting.

I would like to mention i think weights help withe injuries , to prevent stuff…

Those types of exercises arent usually heavy, but rather, auxillary exercises to keep flexible and strengthen antagonists , soforth.

• hamstring curls
  • calve extensions
  • straight leg dead lift
  • shin exercises with elastic rubber band
  • pull ups or something for the back

These are not going to make you faster exactly, but they help keep joints having range of mobility, and strengthen secondary muscles-- in order to balance out the main exercises suggested in the charlie francis plan , those being squat and bench

Yeah, like going for maxes and stuff is not really going to help you. But basically doing it to help with injury prevention and flexibility and stuff is beneficial. I just don’t like the idea of people going to the point where they are risking their lives because they are near a max, putting themselves in a life threatening situation lol. Spiking cortisol. Draining the CNS. Honestly in my opinion I think it’s a good weight if you don’t need a spot. You should be able to control it, and not go to the point where you’re testing your limits.

I THINK THeres room for every depth in squatting… full, half , 1/3 etc… deep squats to the floor with very light weight helps mobiilty for example… half or quarter can be more weight… it doesnt have to be one way every set , or every session necessarily …

Alonso edward said they(didn’t specify any training partner specifically but term ‘they’), squat 480, which sounds awesome to hear for me as a fan of that sprinter(alonso edward-200m elite pro sub 20sprinter). I don’t really care about what that depth is since seeing that mo greene squat instruction vid. He said going as deep as he used to squat, creates injuries…perhaps with mo having said that, he means its going to be tough for athletes(most upright smoother sprinters) to cycle back n forth between these various different niggling issues/slight injuries most sprinters run with.

I viewed that mo greene squat instruction vid(train like champion) about 1.5years ago

Alonso looks to be fairly slightly built, so if he’s squatting below parallel, that’s impressive. If he can squat that much, I wonder how much Trae Williams can squat? Any aussies here know?

I’ve seen Trae do leg extensions, not sure if he squats. He’s only 17, so I’d be surprised if he was squatting very heavy. Usually strength can keep improving for much longer than speed, and you will rarely find insanely strong teenagers unless they have been competing in strength sports for a while. Trae has a rugby background and based on what I’ve heard from a few youth engaged in elite rugby programs, they don’t go too heavy on the weights at such a young age.

Btw: I’ve heard he does a lot of overspeed work, which may explain his insane turnover.

Jack hale 10.13(adelaide news camera-front on angle zoom)- www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZgKZ4I1F5s

-At 30secs of video, they’re talking to hale, you could see trae williams lurking in the background with some ‘mini adrian peterson quads’. Hell, he even reminds of a smaller jeff demps(high school version)

-At 20secs, the front on zoomed shot of the 100m, and the trae williams high frequency territory lol

Asafa powell 10plates squat vid- www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGBqxMZJVk

Trae williams power start(relative to his faster frequency efficient start)- www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CgT-TJAAZs

Mate, Trae’s legs are absolutely monstrous! I’ve never seen such gigantic quads on any sprinter, young or old and that includes BJ. I’ve never seen such short legs either, but that’s another issue :).
At 17, his leg development is just incredible. Look here https://instagram.com/trae.williams/ and scroll down to the pic of Trae in his green & gold shorts. I saw him on the warm up track in Sydney last weekend doing accelerations towing a 10kg weight just before his 100m final. His dad looks like a former bodybuilder and he was giving Trae a hamstring PNF stretch while Trae was lying on his back. His dad was using his whole body weight as resistance & Trae was just throwing him right off like a feather as he extended his hip.
I hope he doesn’t do too much overspeed work as that could very well put an early end to his career!