GREENE HURRIES BACK IN 9.94SEC

Aths: Greene wins 100m in 9.94sec at Carson athleticsmeeting Aths US
CARSON, California, June 1 AFP - World and Olympicchampion Maurice Greene won the 100 metres at the USATrack and Field Golden Spike Tour athletics event heretoday in 9.94 seconds - the second fastest time in theworld this year.
The best time so far this season was the 9.93 postedby Australian Patrick Johnson on May 5 in Mito, Japan.
Greene, whose race was run in a favourable wind of1.4m/sec, finished ahead of compatriots JJ Johnson(10.05) and Shawn Crawford (10.10).
The race was marred by two false starts, but no onewas disqualified under the USATF rules in effect for thecompetition.
Greene, who will be seeking his fourth straight 100mworld title this season, improved on his season-opening100m performance on May 18 in Portland, where he finished third in 10.33.
After I lost in Portland, my best friend Larry Wadetold me to just go out and have fun, not to take a lossseriously, Greene said. I still feel like the old Maurice Greene.
Not only do I expect to run in the 100m and 200m atworlds, I will win both events.'' In addition to his 100m world titles in 1997, 1999 and2001, Greene won the 200m world title in 1999. Greene has already said that titles are not his onlygoal this year. He also wants to regain the 100m world record thatcompatriot Tim Montgomery captured last September with atime of 9.78. The meeting today was the inaugural athletics event atthe new $US150 million ($A231 million) multi-sportscomplex here, and Greene praised the venue, which is inthe Los Angeles metropolitan area. This track is one of the fastest in America, and thecrowd was very much into the meet,’’ he said.
AFP :clap: