Greene chasing immortality - (in Glasgow?)

GLASGOW, June 4 - Maurice Greene has vowed to break the world record again and go down in history as the world’s greatest sprinter.
The former world 100 metres record-holder was speaking on his arrival for Sunday’s international meeting between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Russia and the United States.
I'd like to be thought of as that. Up to this point there's no man in this sport that has done the things I've done - I'm the greatest sprinter in my time,'' said Greene, who likes to be called the 'Kansas Comet'. Greene, who has already run under 10 seconds more than 50 times in his career, also vowed to break that mark 60 times before he retires. But the former Olympic and three-time world champion has been off that pace over the last couple of years and finished third in Athens last year when trying to defend his Olympic title. I want to get my world title back, break the world record again and run under 10 seconds for the 100m 60 times,’’ he said.
Typically, Greene was more interested to talk about himself than anyone else and shrugged off questions about Mark Lewis-Francis’ positive test for canabis.
Greene will renew his rivalry with Jason Gardener and Lewis-Francis in the 100m on Sunday, the first event of the meeting.
And the American is hoping to gain revenge on the pair after they helped Britain upset a Greene-anchored American team in the 4x100m relay at the Olympics last August.
I was hurt because there was no way in my mind we could lose that race - maybe that's why we did - but to me the relay is a bonus, some extra fun with my countrymen - the most important thing is the individual,'' said Greene. I look forward to racing them.’’

I wouldn’t hold it past Maurice to do this. He is my fav sprinter currently and if anyone can do this, he can. I think Asafa has the potential if he doesn’t try to go faster than he is capable and just keeps doing what he has been doing.

me neither, though i suspect he has some work to do. i have his 9.79 run and his form looked much smoother and crisper than he does today. im pullin for him though, hes the goat of the 100.

My moneys on Gardener for sundays race

Mo deserves a lot of respect for putting his money where his mouth is most seasons. He’s been up for a while now and his statistics are awesome, no lesser word suits. The guy always talks up his event which he understands sets him up to be mocked when he loses. I don’t think he has anything like the quick wit of that other GOAT (Ali), but he really helps sell seats wherever in the world he competes - and he competes everywhere.
However, I think Gatlin is clearly the new go-to man in the 100. He proved it again at Pre with his narrow win over rankings leader Asafa Powell. I haven’t seen much in the way of cleverness from Powell, but Gatlin has the charm, the humour and the guns to win a lot of jaded observers (me?) back to the sprints. He really was charming and courteous to speak with in Athens when a more arrogant man might have walked on by.kk

In Glasgow at that stadium? Yeah he probably will break the record BUT he’ll be swimming not running and the wind will be a healthy +7m/s!

Just see what happened last time i was there!

p.s. this is not me in the image just some guy who couldn’t find his way across the carpark to the swimming pool.

:smiley: WONDERFUL. His action is almost Butterfly - looks appropriate for the Glasgow weather. Mid-summer? Brrr :eek:

maybe hell get a wind aided WR! :smiley:

OR MAYBE NOT :stuck_out_tongue:

GLASGOW, Scotland (AP) – Maurice Greene finished second to Mark Lewis-Francis in the 100 meters at the Norwich Union Grand Prix on Sunday.

Lewis-Francis won in 10.43 seconds in breezy, overcast conditions. Greene finished in 10.44, with Briton Jason Gardener third in 10.50. Lewis-Francis also edged Greene in the final leg of the 400 relay at the Athens Olympics to lead Britain to a surprise gold medal.

Greene joked about Sunday’s close finish.

“Man, I want to see that photo,” he said. “I knew it was close. I thought I had him at the Olympics. I thought I had him today, too.”

The meet featured athletes from Britain, Russia and the United States. Other American winners included John Capel in the 200, Dwight Phillips in the long jump, Erin Gilreath in the hammer throw and Allyson Felix in the 400.

Lewis-Francis was stripped May 13 of the 60-meter silver medal he won at the European Indoor Championships in March after testing positive for marijuana, a drug he said he passively ingested.

“It’s been a difficult couple of weeks but I’m a positive person and I stayed focused,” he said. “This is the year that I put my mark down.”

Greene brushed aside the possibility of getting back his world record. Tim Montgomery could be stripped of the world record of 9.78 he set in September 2002.

Montgomery is challenging USADA’s recommendation before the Court of Arbitration for Sport during a closed-door hearing that starts Monday in San Francisco.

“I’ll get it (the world record) back later this year anyway,” Greene said. “It doesn’t matter to me, only if I run faster than I ever have before. That’s the only thing that counts.”

A three-time world champion in the 100, Greene won the 100 in the 2000 Olympics but finished third in Athens.

Felix ran a personal-best in the 400 (51.12), her first race over the distance this season.

“I would have liked to come home a little faster, we had planned to, but didn’t expect it to be so cold,” said Felix of the 57-degree temperature.

The 19-year-old Felix said the 400 was only a training exercise for the 200, in which she won silver in Athens.

Gilreath upset Olympic champion Olga Kuzenkova in the hammer throw. The American won with a season best of 234 feet, 6 inches. Kuzenkova threw 228-6.

Capel won the 200 in 21.04.

Olympic champion Dwight Phillips won the long jump in 27-1\ for a stadium record. Other U.S. winners included Michelle Perry in the 100 hurdles and Kenneth Ferguson in the 400 hurdles.

British double-Olympic gold medalist Kelly Holmes comfortably won the 1,500 against a weak field. Holmes is expected to retire after this season.

Russian Yaroslav Rybakov won the high jump. American Jamie Nieto was second and fellow American and Olympic silver medalist Matt Hemingway was third.

Russian Olga Fyodorova, a silver medalist in the 400 relay in Athens, won the women’s 100 in 11.63.

Can I withdraw this post? :o