Gpp

CF do you perfer to perform the typical 3x6-12 reps in gpp or more sets and less reps 7x5 for your short sprinters?

Completely depends on the individual and his training age. The younger the training age, the more likely it is to use more overall lifts towards longer-term development and the lower the CNS stress the total number of lifts causes. That said, you must balance the numbers off to at least some degree.
When CNS stress goes up with overall strength, you must decide whether higher rep numbers in the GPP (over a now reduced number of lifts) will reduce the likelyhood of a premature plateau in the Max Str phase later.

This is my concern also because if one decide to do 7x5x70-75% during gpp when they decide to perform MS in spp they may plateau sooner. Also 7x5 wouldnt be done during the entire 7 week gpp program, weeks 1-3 4x8-10, weeks 4-7 7x5.

Remember that any example given is a snap-shot of the one individual doing it.
The other qualifier is that the higher the level of the athlete, the shorter the GPP will be, both due to requirement and circumstances (Top athletes compete right through to the end of summer)

What if the athlete is tamfb?

I totally agree with you, right now I’m not sure if may athlete career will continue and if I decide to train this fall I will be coming off a injury and untrain for a long period of time - at least for myself. Considering the reasons I listed above I think I would benefit greatly from the 3-4x6-12 over the 7 week gpp because last fall I think the high intensity weights for long time period (29 weeks) was a pitfall and probably kept me from PR. I havent done 8-12 reps in years, I mean years gonna feel weird!!

You got jokes this morning. lol

Charlie what kind of approximate percentages or intensities were your athletes reaching on some of your GPP sessions? By that I mean, you say you do stuff like say 3x10 w/ short rests on squats, but when I tried that today after my sprint session (300m total hill sprints), I felt like I was going to die after that 3rd set. Are you going very easy on these lifts or are you pushing it still?

Glad to hear the first session went well, first what % did you think those 3x10 were performed at? Also I think thats one reason why CF performed the lower body weights on the tempo days for the first 3 weeks then lower body on speed for 2 weeks. I would probably keep those sets of 10’s at 50-57%. Also remember this is the first real training session, I dont think lower reps and more sets would have been any easier.

I think the approximate % would be 65-70%, though I do not know my current 1rm. I did full squats to the floor @ 235, 235, 225 (I rested ~80 seconds after the 2nd set, but slightly less than 60secs after the first set). The first set was easy and the weight was flying up, but near the end of the second set, things slowed down, and the 3rd set was hell.

I did 3x10 with short rest a few weeks ago, but I was going light since I was getting back into weights and I used approximately the same %s you suggested and the workout was very easy.

You will be ok thats one of the problems with during reps of 8-12 they are really tough as the sets/reps goes on. Have you given it much thought about moving your lower to tempo days? It would work but you would have to change some things, either go two high int days and lower on tempo or do it as CF listed in the gpp graphs weights 6 days per week but sub max weights it would really make those lower body days easier. 65-70% could be 90-100% effort for some.

That is something I have thought about, but I am not sure if it would work logistically nor am I sure if I would recover from that much lower body work. It’s been a few hours since the workout and I feel fine. I did 4x12 on GHR (easy) after the squats, but I my heart rate took quite a while to calm down still.

I’d say perceived effort was a 9-9.5/10, as I still had at least a rep (or more) in the tank after each set. What kind of effort would you be looking for in GPP, if different from what I have described? I had planned on also doing RDLs in my session, but I tossed them out due to fatigue. Keep in mind this is Day 1, so I don’t expect to be in peak physical condition right now.

Yeh I wouldnt stress over it because its only the first day if 2 weeks from now your still having issues then something may be wrong. CF 6 days of lifting isnt too bad esp if your only during 2 high int track days and vary the intensity of the lifts. Maybe go - just an example.

mon:
bp
lat pd
mil press
rows

tue:
pc hard
bs easy
rdl easy

wed:
ip
lat pd