Gpp transition to spp question for Charlie.

Many good points. I like Coes approach.

It is somewhat of a myth that Coe was not a high mileage guy. He admitted in a recent interview that he ran upwards of 90-100 miles a week during early season training. I think some of the misunderstanding comes from the fact that one time during an interview Coe ommited all of his warm up and cool down miles along with easy recovery day miles while discussing his training. This led some to surmise that coe was only running 40-50 miles a week in reality he was at a much higher level.

I can remember reading that back and front squats were emphasized among other exercises, of course. I can recall hearing that he would go as heavy as 175 or so for doubles in the fronts weighing about 125-130.

Flexibility work was, as you say, another point of emphasis I believe both before and after some of the sessions. Apparently very important in the overall program.

Any idea what kind of mileage Ovett was getting at his peak? I have always heard that his coach(was it Harry Wilson?) was much more of a proponent of higher mileage. That and much in the way of hill work(maybe coming from the Lydiard and/or Cerruty school?).

Coe’s training seemed to be about as comprehensive as just about any other mid. distance runner, at least based upon what’s been in print.

Cruz was still another who’s coach(Luis de Oliveira ?) took somewhat of an unconventional approach, it seemed with heavy emphasis on circuits.

Bumping it again. How to you best transition from the short recovery 60’s to special endurance, via split runs?

With short enough breaks, it isn’t too hard to transition- which is what you must do in some geographic regions- like ours. these can be done as back and forth reps with almost no break.

Charlie, thanks for the help.

Charlie,

Would it be possible for athletes focusing on the 100m to keep split 60-80s throughout the season instead of doing special endurance work? For example, obviously extend out to 120-150 for speed endurance work (depending on level), but using 2-3x3-4x50-80m workouts up until near the main competition for the season?

What would the repercussions of these be when planning other elements?

I don’t get your question. Both 150s and the split runs would be SE. in fact 3 or 4 x 80 would be significantly tougher than a 150.

I am referring to not using the longer 200-300 reps and replacing those with the split runs, sorry if I was unclear. I also mean 150m as the maximum distance (mostly 80-120).

You would still be using speed endurance and some SE1, but going more towards just pure SE and split rep stuff.

OK Sure, that can be done

Same type of work I mention earlier with spilt 60’s, run 60 rest 20sec run 60 back.