GPP Question

Ok, so I’m going through this website to dig up all relevant information for the 100/200 meters and I now have another question because I can’t seem to find it, and that is:

How do you know when your general physical preparation is in place?
What are the indicators?

I mean, it’s easy to see if your speed or speed endurance is in place because you can go by time over distance, but for tempo running, and med ball work, how do you know you have reached a very high level in preparation.

So far, I can do the big circuit 2x a week with no problems, and I do 400 med ball throws each time. COULD I push and do 800 med balls, yea sure, and COULD I add an extra day of tempo, yea, but I don’t want to do that when I know I need to work more on speed endurance. What you guys think?

You have to experiement from year to year and establish a baseline for each athlete. I have one athlete who i know is ready when they can easily do 1400m worth. I have another who is more a 200/400m runner and they need to be able to do 1800-2200 easily. Also it depends on what the requirements are of the SPP the comes next. If you want to run 600s then you need to be super fit in terms of tempo. If you are going to run 60s then less so.

I’m afraid like a lot of things this just comes with experience.

Thank you sir!^^ And yes, I run 60’s because it’s hard for me to run over 200m 95% alone.

Wow, just did 800 med ball throws and variations today and I feel great! I’m going to try and keep it up for 2x a week so that would be 1600 reps. I Don’t give a F*** anymore, I will do anything it takes to run low 10s. Not doing all this work just to run 11s

more work doesnt necessarily mean better times at a certain point (obviosuly) but if ur handling a hevier workload well, more power to yuh!

That’s true…^^ So for so go though, I’m leaning out from all this med ball work.

I just want to update this and point out that I got up to 1000 reps but not only was it a strain but the next day I was a little sick from it.

400 reps on sprint days and 500/600 reps on tempo days seems to be what my body can tolerate week in and week out. For now.

I have a question about GPP and fitness. I used to hear that Herschel Walker would do 1000 push ups, and sit ups daily…I actually did 1000 (push ups, squats, sit-ups) daily for 3 weeks straight and it was grueling.

My question is…

Could doing 1000 push ups daily, 1000 sit ups daily, and 1000 bodyweight squats…all along with your running build a very high level of basic fitness that could help a track athlete?

I was thinking of doing 20 push ups and 20 squats on the minute every minute for 50 minutes…then doing the sit ups separately.

It seems like your work capacity would be enhanced once regular training was resumed.

wouldnt that many low intensity squats build a lot of slow twitch in ur legs?

Sounds like a huge investment of time and energy for very little return IMO. Time is precious, you need to focus on activities in training that will give you the largest returns, such as high intensity work on the track and in the gym. These activities will be responsible for nearly all of your gains. Why waste time on activities that have very little to no transfer on the competitive event.

Hi 100m001
more is not better ok?
in fact tempo days are primarily for what?
to recover from your primary objective which is to run faster and get stronger on your key days away from tempo.
if your speed is good and your strength is holding and you feel good and are able to handle your high cns days than things are good with your GPP.
Dont make the mistake of loading up your off days ( as we referred to them) with tons and tons of high volume work and low quality.
Who cares if you can throw the med ball 800 times right?
if you want to run fast than do so but killing yourself on tempo days will do just that.
review the manual and go thru the GPP again and I think you will see what I am saying.

Perfect answer Angela! There should be a special phrase in use for that. Sth like “the answer of the highest quality” :wink:

Spot-on Angela
CF could get complex in some of his progressions and the ways he intertwined types of training. But he never lost sight of the ultimate objective which was speed over the distance you trained for and his programs were always designed and monitored to protect the essence of the project - speed.

Duplicate post.

Yes ma’am. Makes perfect sense.