GPP for other sports

Forum,

Since we have a thread for General fitness, and we have discussed in great detail on how to improve or indeed obtain general fitness for sprinting. What about discussing this for other sports??

I will get the ball rolling:

As you all know, of my little mishap on New Year’s day, (broken toe for those who didn’t know), I have been unable to run since then.

I have been given the all clear to start running again, but, not for another 2 weeks - So I have plenty time to plan.

Clearly my GPP has left the building and has taken my six pack, and left me with a nice layer of winter warming (fat).

How do I go about raising my GPP back up to where it was?

Please bear in mind, I am a part time athlete and works full time.

My thoughts,

I have been able to lift weights for couple of weeks now - so that covers general strength,

I can get low intensity ab work started again.

But, what about the running?

Do I go for long runs? Tempo runs? Speed work with full recovery? Speed work with inadequate recovery (endurance)?

Obviously the best way to get fit is play my sport (soccer) but, I am not going to get selected until I get fitter. So how do I do it?

willie errr i mean wullie:

i would start of your cardio training on the bike. i know some dudes may argue against it as it may tighten the hip flexors, but i would worry about the impact on the toe…why you may ask?

if the proper range of motion isnt FULLY restored (and rid of all inflamation) you may be, with out even knowing it, be compensating somewhere else in your body.

same thing happened to bill romanoski (linebackre for the oakland raiders). he had a wicked shoulder problem that no one could “fix”. then he got a gate analaysis(sp) done and they saw his big toe on the opposite foot wasnt moving correctly. they “fixed” the toe and the shoulder cleared itself up on its own without any extra treatment.

personally, id start with 30 minute interval training on the bike. 10 minute warm up, 15 minutes of intervals then 5 minutes of cool down. varry your “on” period and try to keep your “on” “off” ratio at 1:1. this will also help fire up the metabolism to help get ride of your little christmas boiler.

NIghtmare,

Cool - how long would I use the bike, before starting to run again?

week or 2??

i would say 2 weeks, the intervals will realy help get your fitness back, and chances are its not as far gone as it feels right now. i would do 2 weeks on just the bike, then week 3 do 2 bike and 1 running, week 4 do 1 bike and 2 runs…etc…

Members,

I am about to start running again next week (I hope) after my broken toe. That will have been a 5 week lay off.

My questions: what type of running should I do first:

1. Tempo? If so, what distance?
  2. Speed, with full recovery?
  3. Speed Endurance?
  4. Speed with incomplete recovery?
  5. Light aerobic jog?

Considerations:

1. Need to lose some fat.
  2. Need to get my GPP back, quickly.
  3. I presume I need to increase my speed, and my endurance.
  4. I do not want to re-injure my toe.

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Adjust your diet.

How specific should the General Preparation Phase be? I find a good GPP program prevents overuse issues and helps with the long term (peaking).

Specific enough so that you don’t lose “touch” with the main objective/training element of your coming peak?

For the sake of keeping this subject alive:
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=8396 and

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=10788

What are your thoughts, Clemson?