Go PJ Go! Vidcap of his 9.88w

Looks like Dazed scooped me in another post, but here’s the video evidence.

Looks like he’s finally fixed that flimsy start. Could be a big year!

Does anyone know the times and places of the rest of the field? By the looks of the video second would have been Ezenwa third Di Bella and forth Shirvington.

Holy crap an Aussie under 10? :o

Men 100 metre Final: (w: 3.6)

1. Johnson, Patrick, AIS, 9.88;
  2. Ezenwa, Ambrose, NGR, 10.13;
  3. Di Bella, Paul, QAS, 10.23;
  4. Shirvington, Matthew, NSWIS, 10.42;
  5. Sconce, Craig, ACTAS, 10.47;
  6. Watson, Kane, WAIS, 10.53;
  7. Tucker, Steven, WA, 10.68;
  8. Neofytou, Kristopher, NSWIS, 10.70.

I finally saw the race on the evening news. What really impressed me was the distance he put between himself and the rest of the field. Also in the post race interview his traps looked huge.

Not just under 10, under 9.90 (all be it with wind). :clap:

Hopefully, with a race like that under his belt, Pat’s tightening days are behind him.

Pat’s head is down for the full 19 steps shown but there is no disruption of form- or, in fact, any change in rythem at all. This is the point I always make. When you leave the blocks with good form, the rest falls into place. Mat looks to be reaching in a shocked reaction to Pat and rushing to get up- almost looks like he’s skating. Always run your own race, which is alot easier to do when you stay down.

I think Clemson has brought up a similar point before, if Matt ran the same time ( being white) then the run would of been financially much more benefical for him then it was for Pat.

Pat doesnt seem to get the same accolades in the media or sponsorship as Matt in Australia.

Hopefully Pat can run sub 10s in Europe & get the just rewards.

Originally posted by Sharmer
I think Clemson has brought up a similar point before, if Matt ran the same time ( being white) then the run would of been financially much more benefical for him then it was for Pat.

Pat doesnt seem to get the same accolades in the media or sponsorship as Matt in Australia.

Hopefully Pat can run sub 10s in Europe & get the just rewards.

Sharmer the facts are that Pat got truckloads of press in Australia when he came on the scene with that exotic personal history - grew up on a trawler in the seas between Cape York and New Guinea until age 17 - and at various other periods when he has run fast in Australia.

But the other fact is that for five Aussie summers he has led the contenders on domestic time going into the Nationals and every year he tightens up and loses the title final to Matt Shirvington.

It’s sadly been the same story whenever Pat has raced overseas, where usually he also gets injured.

This is sad for him, but until all that changes, everything else will remain the same for him.

This looks like the season of change. But he’s got to do it when it matters. I hope for his own sake that he can make that adjustment this year at the Nationals and then in Paris. Go Pat, but also come on Matt
:clap:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The zipped download of the full race has arrived. Took me ages to get enough space to upload it onto my FTP.

Right click and save you your hard disk.
Two angles. First 40 and full 100.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dcw23/PJ988Complete.zip

Was that a posisitive or negative wind. Matt shirvington 10.42 with wind of 3.6?

It’s sadly been the same story whenever Pat has raced overseas, where usually he also gets injured. This is sad for him, but until all that changes, everything else will remain the same for him.

9.88 was a large change, in the media i heard more about why Matts running 10.4’s.

Regardless you do have a valid point lets what and see if Pat can repeat these performances in bigger meets.

Originally posted by Sharmer

9.88 was a large change, in the media i heard more about why Matts running 10.4’s.

Are you kidding!!! There was almost a full page on PJ in The Daily Telegraph, a 10 minute feature on PJ on Fox last night, coverage of the race on all major networks and not one mention of Matt in any of them. He even displaced Freeman from main headlines which is almost unheard of.

I say good luck to him.

It will be exciting come Nationals!

I did not even know Shirvington was in the race from the press coverage (only knew about the rest of the field by watching the race on video a few times). All the attention from Perth was on Johnson and Freeman. What was disappointing was not the lack of coverage of Johnson but that Johnson’s run came behind all the codes of football (i.e. Aussie Rules, Union, League, Football), cricket and tennis in the eyes of the press.

I don’t think Sharmer likes Matt very much.

coverage of the race on all major networks

Yeah! all 10 seconds worth with no post race interview.

there was almost a full page on PJ in The Daily Telegraph

If Matt ran 9.88 he would of got the back page and more coverage on prime time networks

If you think Pat gets the same accolades as Matt in the media then your deluding yourself.

:karate:

Originally posted by Dazed
I don’t think Sharmer likes Matt very much.

OK, now I see!!

If Pat had done it with a legal wind he would have had the full back page too. In the lead up to the olympics Pat had only a little less coverage than Matt, who was the superior athlete at the time. I think that Kit Kat may have a better understanding as to how the media view each athlete.

I don’t think Sharmer likes Matt very much

Speak for yourself !!

My comments are related to the media’s coverage and are not personal.