Getting involved in the sport of bobsledding...

slideonice, quick question here if I was to start with both feet on the block how would you sugest i space them.
When I do my 2 handed start both feet are on the block one foot about the middle of my sled the other just outside the sled. would this be optimal or am I off on how I am going about this.
You asked if I was a rec slider or where I was i’m kind of in nomands land this will be my 2nd year sliding last year obviously being my first year i did 2 AC races and just local races. So once again super new to the sport and looking for any help I can get.

O.K. a few responses here… so if I miss something let me know.

Foot contact. Directly under hips. Often skeleton athletes DO try to overextend their stride length during the push. This usually occurs over the crest of the hill (at 15m) where the track starts to take its initial downhill grade. I don’t know of any track and field coach who would advocate essentially “reaching out” just to maximize stride length. This will only lead to breaking steps. Why not increase your limit strength, do some squats & cleans, increase force application into the ground (track), and thus increase stride length that way.

Keep in mind that both bobsled and skeleton are largely accelerative sports. Once an athlete has achieved their individual maximal sprint velocity they MUST load into / onto the sled. Actually, I advocate loading into the sled the step prior to where an athlete feels like they are at max sprint velocity. WHY? Well, we’re working with a few factors here. Zero to 15 meter’s is a no brainer - balls out - get the sled moving as quick as possible. At 15m, however, we now have a declining track, gravity, and a weighted implement (sled) acting to our initial acceleration. So maximal velocity now occurs at an exponentially increasing rate as an athlete pushes over the crest of the hill. If an athlete loads at the point where they think they are reaching maximal velocity then they are most likely, in actuality, being pulled (decline + sled + gravity) beyond their physiological limits in maximal velocity and taking a breaking step into the sled. NOW, the mistake most athletes make when they push is ONLY looking at the start time to indicate a successful push. What really needs to be identified is the 50 meter start velocity, but more importantly how that relates to the subsequent 100 meter velocity. I would sacrifice a fractional amount of time at the 50 meter eye to GAIN an exponentially increasing amount of velocity a little further down the track any day of the week. My point being… most athletes go too deep, take breaking steps into the sled, kill their velocity, but fail to realize that their down time could likely be exponentially better because they see a moderately decent start time on the clock. If you load just one step prior to your max velocity you should still have a little left in the tank and should then be able to further help acceleration of the sled as you load (your not taking a breaking step as you load); thereby, constantly increasing acceleration throughout the push. Make sense.

Back flat or rounded. I do prefer rounded to help maximize stride (without reaching). This might be a little bit of a “rob Peter to pay Paul” issue, but I’m not too concerned about manipulation of body position just to increase force application with the athletes I’m training. I consider that part of their off-ice preparation.

One foot or two feet on the block. I have an on going argument with sports science about this issue. I’d say it needs to be investigated further. My current preference is one foot on & one foot off. I think it’s easier to get to the position (picture of KE) in my previous thread and apply constant application of force to the sled with the forward leg / foot. What is the distance? Play around with this. Kneel with your back foot on a block – back leg at 90 degrees – front leg at 90 degrees. Now move your front foot back about a shoe size (toes are where heel was in step 1). Roughly this will put you in a position that aligns your lead foot directly under your hips at extension off the block. That’s a decent starting point. Essentially though it will come down to what your most comfortable with – your might just be faster with two feet on the block because it’s the most comfortable for you.

slide

Wow awsome thanks for the tips on foot placment I’ll try those out in the next week or so, Yeah when I started skeleton evryone was saying no no you shoudl really reach out when you run and honestly from my training on the track that made no sense so i never did it. The one thign that tottaly makes is the “breaking step” i have doen that so many times trying to run further. There would be no point in continuing to run if you were not applying force to the ice to accelerate you forward, in fact you would probably be putting more weigth directly down on the sled slwing you down, as well you would increase the chance of that breaking step am I following this right???

since the bobsled season is next…hope it’s gonna be great for all the members involved in it, to those like myself wishing to get into and all the people who just loves bobsledding…I’m trying to reach the required standards to try out for my federation, and driving school if money allows me to do.
Hope this thread will be revitalized!!

I hope it does get revitalized. I started this thread during last year’s bobsled season hoping people could help me as well as others get involved in the sport. Let’s defenitely bring this thread back to life and fill it with more useful advice and information.

Okay, sorry to bring back an old thread, but does anyone know if there is an age limit to join a country’s bobsled team? Because I’m currently 21 years old and about to sign a 4-5 year contract to serve in the United States Army. So when I get back, I will be around 26 years old.

Any answers or help are greatly appreciated.

Cod, Shimer, USA was nearly 40 I believe when he medaled in Salt Lake. I think there was a German, Hoppe maybe who was in his early, mid 40’s.
Keep in mind these men are drivers with probably a decade of sliding behind them.

Push athletes usually start when their college careers are over. Right around early to mid 20’s. I don’t know of anyone that picked the sport up later than 28 years of age. Although there have been some push athletes that switch to driving later on.

actually, drivers can compete in junior champs if under 26. I 'd like to say to everybody that I’m finally going to bobsled!!in december in cortina, right now I’m having medical exams like eeg and neurological evaluation…see ya…

A rookie brakeman for Pierre Leuders (Canada) started last year at 38. Pretty “old” for a brakeman but if you have the goods, they will take you. Hoppe competed into his 40’s but started in his 20’s. Brakemen are expendable & generally tossed when injury/new faster guy comes along so you don’t see the same longevity.
26 would not be too old to start as there aslo needs to be a muscular maturity to have the size/weight needed , especially in 2-man.

I am officially retired but have been hitting the gym hard to see if a comeback is possible?

Back squat = 225 kg x 5 and 275 x 1rm

Front squat = 160kg x 5 and 205 x 1rm

Snatch = 80kg x 5 and 102kg x 1rm

Deadlift = 160 x 5 and 185kg x 1rm

Behind neck press = 80kg x 5

Power clean = 130kg x 2

don’t forget to work on your speed and accelelration!!will you have tests to pass?

damn how do you squat 275 and deadlift 185?

yes…maybe a bit of powerlifting squat…even high?

what are your stats on the track?

I have always been strong…just got a lot bigger in recent years and lifting has always been a good point! I am now behind neck pressing 100 kg x 5.

I ran a 30m from standing start in 4.0 secs and my 100m is 10.89 secs but my VJ is about 80cms.

none of what you are saying makes any sense bobber. a 30m of 4.0 isn’t competitive in bobsleigh. and the massive discrepancy in your deadlift/squat…not possible.

well…it depends…if it is an electric time from blocks and gun start it’s good…

Check the YOU-TUBE on NO2 for some info

NO 2 on you tube???

Or our memebr number 2?..cannot find…

http://charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=16382

Right mate…lets get something straight…I am a retired ex international and a powerlifter, I do not know who you are and what planet you hale from but …but where I come from you would be considered rude and disrespectful!

My 30 meter time is recent and is based on zero sprint work and purely on hypertrophy and max strength training…

I have not moved onto my power phase yet and expect to be a lot faster once this is converted to speed strength and trach work!

I didnt bother putting up my actual PB for 30 meters as it is over 5 years old…didnt realise it would cause handbags at dawn!

I have ran 30 meters in 3.78 secs which is within the selection needs of most top world cup and olympic teams.

I hope this helps you and your choice of comments in future pal!

I do think your words were way over the top and totally harsh and uncalled for pal…judge others as you would wish to be.

My lifting stats are being dealt with by a man who knows and training is going well!

Thanks and you take care now.