Getting great shape

What is really the optimal way of conditioning for basketball? Is it really playing/practicing intensely and running full recovered sprints 2-3x a week and running aerobic intervals on the days in between?
Just based on my own experience, a typical series in basketball might be sitting down and playing hard defense for 5 seconds, then defending off the ball for ten more seconds, then, as a point guard, getting the outlet and sprinting upcourt, passing the ball, moving fairly hard off the ball for ten seconds, getting it back, making a quick move and exploding to the basket. Then sprinting back on D, playing defense like mentioned before, then a whistle and 10-15 second break.

So, that is roughly 40-45 seconds off play with 10-15 seconds of rest. The 40-45 sec. is filled with roughly 10-15 seconds of 100% effort and intensity and around 30 of moving at a fairly hard, but not max, pace.

Wouldn’t conditioning like this, for repeated bouts be the most specific way of conditioning for the game? Seems kind of fartlek to me? I would be very interested to hear other’s thought’s and input. Thanks.