General to Specific

Charlie points out that training on a day-to-day basis has about the same level of intensity for the beginner. Please describe how the demands/focus changes from general to specific as the athlete advances in training. Thanks.

That’s covered in the Vancouver 2004 Download. Check the archives as there has been some discussion on it as well

Charlie, I watched my Vancouver DVD again recently and also wondered, are you classing a beginner by their PB’s or training age? Im guessing PB’s.

I’d think both but training age is more of a guide. I remember being criticized for my program with my group at the start because there wasn’t much individualization. The reason was that the talented members of the group were performing at levels beyond what would be expected from rank beginners- but that was what they were and they needed the fundamentals in place before moving on to individualization.

In the vancouver DVD charlie you talk about some of Flo-Jo’s improvement being down to her increased hip height.

Would this be down to an increase in strength? particulary hip extension strength? I’ve heard she could lunge with about 140kg.

Thanks.

Yes, hip height is an expression of additional strength but I don’t think you can attribute it to only one lifting factor. She also did a lot of work with resisted running As over short distances to try to keep the hips comming through.

Is this sort of thing covered on the new download?