GB Needs Coach Christie -Campbell

Campbell wants Christie call-up
Darren Campbell says Linford Christie needs to get involved in coaching British sprinters to give them any chance to shine at the 2012 Olympics.
The Daily Telegraph says Christie is on the verge of being handed such a role.

“I believe he’s the best person possible to take our sprinters to the next level,” said Campbell, who is coached by the ex-Olympic champion.

Christie’s agent Sue Barrett said talks with UK Athletics have been held, but no formal role had been outlined.

We’ve been talking to UK Athletics for a number of months, and we’re still talking to them," she said.

"But, as far as Linford and coaching in this country, he’s been coaching British athletes for over nine years with quite a lot of success, so he’ll be continuing to do that, whatever. "

Christie has been overlooked by British athletics chiefs since (edit) 1999.

He has continually denied any wrongdoing but was not even involved in London’s bid for the 2012 Games.
Campbell insisted his coach had been overlooked for too long.

“Linford’s been involved in my career since 1997 and, behind Linford, :eek: I’m the most successful sprinter ever,” said Campbell. [WONDER IF ALLAN WELLS WOULD AGREE] :stuck_out_tongue:

"In terms of the mental aspect, the knowledge he has and the way he’s able to motivate is paramount.
“I just believe if the youngsters are going to move on and be successful in 2012, Linford really does need to play a part.”

Michelle Verroken, the former director of anti doping at UK Sport, said there are no rules that say Christie should be banned from becoming an official coach.