Gay set for London

Gay confident for London whatever the weather or opposition may hold – IAAF World Athletics Tour
Tuesday 24 July 2007
London, UK – USA’s Tyson Gay, the fast 100m / 200m combination sprinter in history is set to race over 100m at the Norwich Union London Grand Prix at Crystal Palace, the same track where he recorded an impressive victory in 2006, beating a stellar field to win the 200m and set a new all-comers and a stadium record in the process.

The London meeting is a Super Grand Prix status event as part of the IAAF World Athletics Tour 2007.

Gay ended last year ranked number one in the world in the 200m and second in the 100m, and the Kentucky athlete has continued his terrific form this year too, underlining his position as the form runner in world sprinting. Earlier this month, Gay won the 100m at the Norwich Union British Grand Prix – IAAF World Athletics Tour meeting - in Sheffield, clocking 10.13 seconds despite the rainy weather.

The 24-year-old will be hoping for a repeat of his winning ways in London, and he believes the Crystal Palace venue could be just the place to register yet another fast time with the World Championships just around the corner.

“It was a real shame that the conditions were so difficult for sprinting in Sheffield but that is all part of the sport,” said Gay. “You have to be able to win whatever the weather and I was happy to do that against a strong field.

“I know I still have it in me to run very fast, and I will be aiming to do that at the Norwich Union London Grand Prix. I ran 19.84 for 200 metres on the Crystal Palace track last year so I know how quick it can be.”

Gay will face a strong line-up in London, including Olympic silver medallist Francis Obikwelu, the European champion. Local hopes will rest with British athletes Simeon Williamson and Craig Pickering, fresh from their gold and silver medal-winning performances at the European U23 Champs.

Gay added: “I look forward to facing the field in London, which often has the strongest sprint field of the year.”

Andrew Wallace for the IAAF

I don’t think those other sprinters are even on Gay’s radar.

I always find interesting how everyone says Gay is the fastest on 100/200 combo…
simple math: 9"84+19"62=29"46
Whereas MJ: 10"09+19"32=29"41
Oh yes, Gay can run 19"50 with perfect wheater, but if we go by suppositions…MJ in 1996 , I think he could be a 9"95 guy on the 100…
BTW, who cares, I like Gay ( Tyson…) very much…

These combo are based on points from IAAF tables. If you just add seconds, the 200m will count twice as much as the 100m and gives advantage to 200m runners over 100m runners.

Please, eroszag, that’s very dangerous. Don’t start them again.
We had so many useless “Who is the Best/Greatest of all time?” discussions on this board already :wink:

You can find the simple solution to this question here: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=15737

or a little less heated:
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=15664

ehehe God forbids me…just wanted to do maths!!

Yes but you weighed one event twice as much as the other.

Does anybody have results from the U23 meet?