Gay leads US

By Talek Harris
OSAKA, Japan, Aug 22 AFP - Nascent superstar Tyson Gay leads a trio of young US sprinters who loom large over the world championships after helping put the spring back in the step of American athletics.
Gay, Xavier Carter and Wallace Spearmon have dominated the 200m in recent times, adding a dash of glamour to the event rarely seen since the days of the great Michael Johnson.
The team-mates have run three of the four fastest half-laps in history, with Gay coming within 0.3 seconds of Johnson’s 19.32s as they inch towards his 1996 world record.
Gay’s time came at the US national championships in June, establishing him as favourite for the world title as the ‘X-Man’ Carter collapsed to the deck with a dislocated knee.
Spearmon, who finished a distant second, was amazed at the performance.
I was like, 'Wow, he's pretty far ahead,''' said Spearmon. I couldn’t keep up.’’
Gay’s outstanding displays have raised the prospect of a famous world sprint double with Jamaica’s 100m world record-holder Asafa Powell struggling with injury.
His emergence has also brought the feel-good factor back to US athletics after the trauma of world and Olympic 100m champion Justin Gatlin’s failed dope test.
Track legend Frankie Fredericks said the new generation, including Jamaica’s Usain Bolt, had revitalised the 200m and would break Johnson’s record in time.
I think the 200m over the past few years has been suffering for talent,'' Fredericks said. But I think now we can see that we have four young men who are very talented. And that pushes everyone.
``I think that we are going through an exciting time. And maybe next year we can go to 19.5s, and then 19.3s and even 19.2s.’’
Although Carter is hampered by his knee injury, Spearmon is also hopeful of joining Johnson, Gatlin, Maurice Greene, and Calvin Smith as the latest American 200m world champion.
The Chicago-born 22-year-old has won twice this season as he bids to improve on his 2005 silver medal in Helsinki, where he finished behind Gatlin.
Spearmon also holds the world record of 31.88s in the seldom run 300m, set in Arkansas last year.
OH, REALLY :rolleyes: MAYBE INDOORS?

Carter’s contribution is uncertain although he showed little discomfort in successfully anchoring the US B-team to 4x400m relay victory in London early this month.
The 21-year-old, also known as ‘Pee-Wee,’ grabbed headlines last year with his 19.63s in Lausanne, the second quickest 200m ever seen until Gay’s 19.62s two months ago.
Gay, 25, said all three were working hard to resurrect the image of US athletes.
I know next year we're all going to train even harder, Wallace and I, Xavier. And I don't want any ducking. None of that I need more money,''' said Gay. I want to race the best every time I step on the track. I want to continue to win some and lose some and just get better each time.’’

Yes, Spearmon 300 indoor WR. I believe MJ has the outdoor record at 30.85.