Gatlin with Seagrave in Fla.

lol, and many people (including myself at one point) think that image is real. I found out in the initial stages of people like Jayz and biggie the jewelry, homes and other lavish things were all RENTED!!

As far as the guys who can afford it, I think they are crazy to wear 200k of jewelry in the streets. It’s a good way to loose your life because somebody WILL jack you for it.

It does. The U.S. economy is based on spending and consumption! Conversely, the Asians do a VERY good job in saving their money and starting businesses that we all patron in one way or the other. I met some VERY wealthy Asians in California and I can assure you they are in a league of their own as far as handling money.

A good book to read about all this is The Millionaire Next Door.

I saw a really good documentary on Mike Tyson. MT just was not capable to handle money like that (which is not a problem if you have good people around you).

Anyhow, what screwed him was when he switched to the scum don king and then got involved with Mrs. Givens the gold digger.

Sometimes you just can’t do it all, I mean, MT in the “89” shape was the greatest fighter EVER (yea, he was!) and he got to that point partly because HE DID NOTHING ELSE BUT PRACTICE BOXING so it’s just sad to see that after his first mentor died nobody could step in to look after him and his money.

Remember also that boxing is a shady dirty business anyway…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZdu3PsjuWA&feature=related

You clearly don’t understand the magnitude of legal hassles put in front of Gatlin (and anyone else) in a bid to return. Legal bills can easily top 200,000 a month when fighting a case. How long can that be sustained? This is why the individual is so weak relative to a big organization with TV revenue that can make up the rules as they go along. His choice was to husband his winnings and stay out permanently or try to come back. The probable best choice was to stay out but wishful thinking coupled with advice from those who will send him a big bill if he fights influence things.

In Gatlin case you may be right, but there are so many sportsman who got broke…even without issues with the law…( well, often other issues…no sporting ones)…to Gatlin , good luck!!

Charlie, I am well aware how high legal bills could go. The issue here is;

You clearly don’t understand the magnitude of legal hassles put in front of Gatlin (and anyone else) in a bid to return

You and I are equally speculating whether Gatlin has spent xxx (less) or xyz (more) on the legal bills. I do not know the figure. Do you?

Blowing over a million USD and going broke tells me a lot about Gatlin or anyone for that matter. I do not have anything against him but I do not feel sorry (financially) for him at all. I would feel the same for anyone else who could blow such amount or more.

I am familiar with legal costs because I work for some of the top Lawyers in Canada and US costs will not be lower. Try to work out the hours required to fight for years as Gatlin has done to get back. First he was banned forever, then 7 years ,then, well who knows. Every step requires a legal response and many follow ups to get a counter-response from an opponant with deep pockets that hopes Gatlin will curl up and die to save them from reinstating him and, with it, the embarassment of reminding the public that they made him a poster boy as the new “clean” athlete, proving drugs are unnecessary before it all went to hell.

Lawyers----better not start tallking …keeping the thread on, I remember gatlin form hi old tennessee days, and I hope his running form will be as smooth as then…sprint capitol days left him faster and stronger for sure…but imho not as technically sound as he was in college.

Have we jumped to conclusions or blythely accepted as truth whatever was written in the original article claiming Gatlin is broke?

A mate told me yesterday that he had been speaking to one of Gatlin’s coaches who told him Justin has been attending training in a masserati or ferrari. My mate couldn’t recall with certainty when I pressed him, but it was a super hot sportscar and he thought it was either or.
Then again, maybe Gatlin put his money into the car instead of a roof over his head, which really would be ridiculous.

People who don’t know much about sports cars always assume it’s a “Ferrari”. I’m guessing it’s the same Porsche he bought a few years ago which is probably a GT2. You don’t see GT2’s on the road THAT much. Another guess woud be a Carrera GT, because it does look like a mix of a Ferrari or a Masserati but that car is 500k!!:eek:

When Josh Ross first made the scene here as a sprinter Mitsubishi sponsored him with a hot looking Lancer, last time I spoke to him Mercedies were going to sponsor him with one of their sports cars. Gatlin was a lot faster so I assume he would have got a sponsorship with a car, all I wanted was a supra, ha.

As much as I have picked on LS I know he is a thinking coach and as a team they should go well, lord knows we need a couple of more quick runners and the saying is white men can’t run - or was it can’t jump.

Well…Ocho Cinco had checks refused, but made his own SUV out of a bus…

A supra… Yea they are quick… A second generation caught up to me after I left him at the stoplight in a 5.0. That was not suppose to happen…lol

Wait till i get my ISf

In their day they were the fastest street registerable race car in the world. On the drag strip 400m in under 7s without muscling up the bottom end. Usain Bolt on wheels.

7sec!? on a stock block!? Regardless, I know the fastest production car around that era was the 1987 Buick GNX but General Motors pulled it from the lineup because it was betting the flagship Corvette (gasp). Not sure when the Supra came in the mix but I do know they can roll. DAM you import guys with them turbos…lol

BTW, Asafa Powel has a Nissan Skyline. And I know Ato Bolden is into fast cars too. Nothing too hot in his stable though; just the basic turn key factory performance, nothing wicked custom. Hmmm, this must be another trait of sprinters; FAST CARS!!! Even Ben had that ugly (but fast) black Ferrari Testarossa . He should have gotten the Ferrari F-40 during his day!!!

Had to look that up… Is that a Lexus right?

The Lexus is the Supra(2 door) Soarer (4 door) stage2. In my back yard is a 2,000 model soarer, has the Supra suspension and a 2.5, 6 cylinder twin turbo, it is also the first Lexus.

yea i plan on getting one once they drop under 40k

Besides talking about cars - Anyone got any latest news on Gatlin?