Gatlin Trials In NFL

Justin Gatlin, World’s Fastest Man, Tries Out With Texans
Posted Nov 29th 2006 7:49AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Texans, AFC South, NFL Rumors

Justin Gatlin set the world record in the 100-meter dash, but when he (“ran into trouble” edit), the world of track and field told him he wasn’t welcome back in the sport until 2014. (edit) so Gatlin has decided to try another sport. He tried out with the Houston Texans this week.

Gatlin hasn’t played football since high school, but his agent figures if you’re the fastest man in the world, you could probably run some decent deep routes. And his agent should know: He’s Renaldo Nehemiah, a former world-class hurdler and receiver for the San Francisco 49ers.

Gatlin is listed as 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, which certainly within the range of the right size for an NFL receiver. The one problem for Gatlin is that the NFL might not like having its pristine image tainted. Roger Goodell might lean on the Texans to avoid signing Gatlin, but if they’re convinced that a speedy receiver like Gatlin is just what David Carr needs, that’s a battle they’ll be willing to fight.

i put him and mathis on kr.

I would sign him. like utfootball says if he cant catch good enough let him return kicks i mean he’s has to be able to get some yard befor he’s hit.

Everybody deserves a second chance. I think the NFL won’t prevent his signing but they will monitor him closely!

I think he has had some football experience in College (?)

Watch the commentary. the policy hasn’t changed

Gatlin hasn’t played football since high school.

Kubiak said Gatlin, who last played American football in high school, had worked out for several teams over the last month. The Texans worked him out as a receiver and Kubiak said team officials told him he was “very impressive.”

“I’m sure it would be a big step for him to step up and start playing football,” Kubiak said. “But that looks like it’s something that he’s interested in.”

Gatlin was banned from athletics but still has the option to appeal the length of his punishment. While his Olympic medals are not affected, he’s likely to lose his share of the world record when appeals process is complete.

Kubiak said he isn’t worried about the (edit) matter, because the NFL is allowing him to train with teams.

“It was positive,” Kubiak said of the workout. “He did a good job. Some of our people who were over there watching him were amazed at how fast he ran. I don’t even know if he was full speed at that time. But he did catch the ball pretty good.”

he also said they wouldnt sign him this yr, he ran btw 3.7-3.9 in the 40.

they list him 180…more towards 190 this year…with his frame can be a 6"1 200 lbs wr within weeks…btw…if he played high school ball at good level, maybe will be dusted …but you don’t forget everything…
personally, I would love to have him back in track…

Sorry, didn’t mean to go down that road.

If his hands are not that good than he could be a Punt returner, Kick Returner, or a Defensive cornerback.

I see him as a return man. Just gotta be able to catch the ball and run like hell. Corner requires a little bit (to say the least!) more technique and ability, experience, etc.

Gatlin tries another NFL workout

Gatlin hasn’t played American football since high school
America’s Olympic 100m champion Justin Gatlin has trained with the Arizona Cardinals, having already worked out with the Houston Texans.

Gatlin faces a life ban from athletics (edited). His case goes to arbitration in the new year.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said: "A lot of teams in the league have worked him out over the course of the past month.

“From (general manager) Rick (Smith)'s perspective, he was very impressive.”

British sprinter Dwain Chambers, (edited) has also been put through his paces at NFL training camps.

Can Chambers make it in NFL?
By Simon Austin

The coaches at the NFL Europe training camp in Cologne obviously expected British sprinter Dwain Chambers to be fast.
But they were taken aback by quite how quick he was.

The true extent of his blistering pace became apparent when he was put through a simple drill at the start of the one-week camp in November.

The idea was simple - to catch the ball, run down the middle of the field and try to evade the onrushing defenders.

“Normally the receiver will be hit by the defenders,” David Tossell, director of public affairs for NFL International, told BBC Sport.

“But Dwain was so fast he pulled away from two guys you would expect to get him. It was really impressive.”

Chambers is deadly serious about pursuing a career in American Football.

On Tuesday, his agent told BBC Sport that the 28-year-old was ready to turn his back on athletics in order to play in NFL Europe.

And his ambitions don’t stop there. The average earnings for a player in NFL Europe are only £5,000 to £8,000 per three-month season and the former European 100m champion has his sights set on the NFL proper in America, where first-year professionals are paid a minimum salary of £130,000 and can go on to earn many millions more.

Unsurprisingly, Tossell says Chambers was “easily the fastest player” at the November camp. But he will need far more than raw pace if he is to fulfil his initial ambition of becoming a wide receiver for one of the five NFL Europe teams.
Catching skills, strength, determination, teamwork and tactical appreciation - none of which necessarily come naturally to an athlete - are all equally important.

Yet Tossell says the early signs are promising for Chambers.

“The thing that’s really impressed our guys is how determined he is,” Tossell said.

"He had turf toe on both feet and had hurt his ankle, but didn’t sit out any of the practices. The thing the coaches in Cologne wanted to find out was how he would react when hit. And he picked himself up and carried on.
“He did better than they’d expected and was tougher than they thought he would be.”

NFL Europe is a feeder league for the NFL and consists of six teams - Frankfurt, Berlin, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Hamburg and Amsterdam.

Each team has 48 players - 42 of them young Americans from NFL teams who are sent to Europe to gain experience and the remaining six “international players”.

NFL Europe invited a total of about 270 players to three pre-Christmas training camps as an initial step in finding these international players.

The first, which Chambers attended, was in Cologne and the next ones will be in Mexico and Japan.
The best 70 or 80 will then be invited to a six-week training camp in Florida in March before 48 are offered contracts with teams.

Although Tossell is encouraged by Chambers’ early showings, he says it will still be very difficult for him to make a career in gridiron.

"He was always a casual fan of American Football and doesn’t know a lot about the nuances and tactics of the game. He’s up against young, hungry guys who have played the sport all their lives.

“And the team ethic of the sport is very different from being an athlete.”

Commercial considerations are also unlikely to help Chambers’ cause. Because five of the teams are based in Germany and the other in Holland, his inclusion would have little “bums-on-seats” appeal.

As for Chambers’ ultimate ambition of reaching the NFL proper, it’s worth considering one stark fact - only one “international” player has ever come through the feeder league to forge a career in the NFL.

That was the German Constantin Ritzmann, who played for the Buffalo Bills and Atlanta Falcons but is not currently on the roster of an NFL team.

“I was surprised and pleased when Dwain first rang me to say he wanted to come along to the training camp,” Tossell said.

"This is something of an experiment, to see if a cross-over athlete can make it in NFL Europe.

“But we made sure we sat down with him and explained how difficult it would be. There are huge odds against him making it and we made sure he understood that.”

Chambers will find out if he has been invited to the Florida training camp either shortly before or after Christmas.

That will be the first step on a journey that he hopes will end up in the NFL or even at the Super Bowl, like his role model Renaldo Nehemiah, who was the 110m world record holder before going onto forge a successful career with the San Francisco 49ers .

hardly a successful career, with 3 seasons played, 1 touchdown and one giant hit getting laid onto him to end his career.

sorry couldn’t resist.

i wish the best to chambers and gatlin. but i think gatlin has a much better chance. chambers might want to try powerlifting though.

I want dwayn as a bobsledder!!

I’m sure everyone knows that track speed and football speed are VERY different. Movement is going to be restricted and not to mention that you are adding a bit of weight. You know there would be some guys that are gonna tattoo if he comes across the middle. Yeah…he is fast, but think…its all about angles…if someone has the correct angle on him, POW! Right in the kisser!

yes…but we don’t know if he has the moves or not…speed is the name of the game…

Well, It appears that Gatlin is still grinding at playing in the NFL. Looks like Jon Gruden wants to give him a chance.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/TB/10167741

Gattlin in NFL try-out
From correspondents in Tampa, Florida
May 06, 2007 JISTIN Gatlin, the Olympic and world 100m champion who faces an eight-year athletics ban (edit), has turned out with other National Football League hopefuls at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers mini-camp.

Gatlin was one of 28 players attending the Buccaneers’ three-day rookie training camp this weekend on a tryout contract, according to a story posted on the team’s website.

(edit)

Gatlin, (edit) is apparently still interested in exploring other opportunities in sports.

“If it can transfer to football, you have a real threat,” Bucs coach Jon Gruden said of Gatlin’s athleticism.<

“If it can’t, it won’t work. Here’s a guy that really hasn’t played college football. He’s played high school football, he’s won the gold medal and he wants to give this a shot. This is a good launching pad, a good start for him to see how quickly he picks it up, how natural it is and how far he has to go at the same time.”

Gatlin, 25, has shown an interest in the NFL before. He was given tryouts by the Houston Texans and Arizona Cardinals last year.

“I’m just working hard,” he said. “'m just out here contributing, just taking a little time with the guys. I haven’t measured myself up against any of the guys. I’m just learning, learning what these guys are doing, watching what they do and trying to go out there and be the best that I can be.”

Agence France-Presse