Gardner sets new World Best

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/3443277.stm

Gardener continues winning form

Gardener has made a good start to the season
Jason Gardener kept his cool to post his second 60m victory in five days at an indoor meeting in Erfurt, Germany.
The “Bath Bullet” improved his own best time in the world this year to 6.53 seconds, a hundredth of a second quicker than he ran in Glasgow.

But he had to hold his nerve after two of his rivals - Brian Lewis and Kareem Streete-Thompson - false started.

“Running so quickly at this stage of the season is very good,” said Gardener.

The Briton easily beat off the challenges of second-placed Italian Simone Collio (6.58sec) and third-placed German Alexander Kosenkow (6.70sec).

American Lewis had earlier made the first false start before Streete-Thompson, from the Cayman Islands, was red-carded for committing the second punishable offence.

I felt strong and was clearly in better shape than the opposition

Jason Gardener
The Commonwealth long jump bronze-medallist was in the adjacent lane to Gardener, leaving the European record holder no-one to feed off.

“When there’s nobody there it does make things difficult and quite frankly I hate the false starting system,” said Gardener.

“After the first one you are immediately on edge knowing even if you flinch you might be pulled out of the race yourself.”

Gardener now heads for Stuttgart for Saturday’s prestigious Sparkassen Cup meeting.

“In the circumstances I’ve got to be happy running 6.53sec - I felt strong and was clearly in better shape than the opposition,” said Gardener.

His coach, Malcolm Arnold, who is the former mentor of World 110m record holder Colin Jackson, is also guiding Rachel King.

Last year’s Welsh outdoor champion had a busy night, reaching the finals of both the 60m and 60m hurdles.

The hurdles is her speciality, and she finished sixth in a time of 8.23sec at her first European competition of the season.

Sparkassen Cup-

Ergebnisliste
60m Männer 1. Vorlauf
31.01.2004 17:48

Hallenweltrekord 6.39 Maurice Greene USA Madrid 03.02.1998
Halleneuroparekord 6.46 Jason Gardener GBR Maebashi 07.03.1999
Deutscher Hallenrek. 6.53 Sven Matthes GER Wien 13.02.1988
Meetingrekord 6.41 Maurice Greene USA 01.02.1998

Rg StNr Athlet Nat Zielzeit Reaktionszeit
1 7 GARDENER, Jason GBR Q 6.50
2 22 UNGER, Tobias GER v 6.62
3 6 LEWIS, Brian USA q 6.70