Gardener Plans Return

Gardener maps out Glasgow and Sheffield path to third European Indoor title defence
Wednesday 22 November 2006
Former World and reigning three-time European 60m champion Jason Gardener will return to major international athletics at the Norwich Union International in Glasgow after missing most of this year through injury.

The 31-year-old Bath sprinter who was a member of the Britain’s 2004 Olympic 4x100m gold medal winning sprint relay team has only managed a handful of appearances since aggravating a back injury at the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in March.

Jason Gardener (GBR) dips to the line to win the 60m World title in 2004
(Getty Images)

But he has made himself available for selection to either the Norwich Union Great Britain & Northern Ireland or Commonwealth team for the Glasgow match on 27 January.

He said: “It will be my first major international meet after the Commonwealth Games and I’m really looking forward to my return. I want to experience success as quickly as possible and Glasgow would be a fantastic opportunity to do that.

“I enjoy winning and I’ve won in Glasgow every time I’ve competed there – indoor competition has been great for me anyway for my whole career.

“Whenever the opportunity arises to compete for your country – especially within the UK in front of home crowds – it’s a fantastic honour. And the international matches are particularly special as it’s always good to give four points to the team.”

Gardener will also race at the Norwich Union European Trials and UK Championships in Sheffield, in a bid to secure a place in the British team for the European Indoor Championships in Birmingham in March.

The 31-year-old will defend his European 60m title for the third time, aiming to become the first British athlete to win four consecutive European indoor titles.

“I’ve won the European indoor title three times and hopefully I can win again and make it a really tough record for other people to try and beat in the future,” he added.

Andrew Wallace for the IAAF