Gaining Weight for hockey

I get out for winter break for 3 weeks on tuesday, and I’m looking to work for three weeks to gain muscle mass. I’m hoping for 7-10 pounds, but realize that is a lot.

With some of your experience I was also looking for what was the best way to go about maintaining or improving my power in my skating these three weeks.

I live in connecticut, USA and the snow is coming down. I have no acess to indoor tracks (at least that I know of), so I’m also having trouble with sprinting (I did sprints in the fall from another training system, and recently have been reading CFTS).

Thank you for the help. :smiley:

What is your diet like? Need specifics to help… If you want to gain weight, you have to put in more calories than you expend. What do you weigh right now?

Eat, Seep, Workout. Eat more leftovers. I find the Christmas holiday to be the best for putting on mass. It’s only 3 weeks, so I wouldn’t expect too much, but gains can definitely be made. Really focus on eating anything you can get your hands on. Obviously stay away from the party food (ala Chips & Dip, chocolate etc) but any solid food, eat it. I don’t know what type of workout you are on right now, but if you really focus on eating tons, and getting a real good night sleep every night, you should really be able to push volume. Add 2 or 3 sets to a couple of your biggest movement exercises each day. Add a few drop sets after your work sets if needed. If this is important to you, then don’t half do it. Keep the intensity between 70-80% and just start pumping out reps. You will lose some of your ‘athleticism’, and speed, but if you utilize a balanced dynamic warm up, with an emphasis on explosive plyometric’s, this should be minimal. Then when you get back to school after the break, get to practice early, stay late…really push your skating, and after a week, you’ll be bigger, stronger, and just as fast, if not faster.

I’m 17, weigh 155, about 10-11 BF% 5’ 10", and have a pretty good diet. I don’t really count calories, but it’s hard because I’m at boarding school and I eat the 3 main meals from the cafeteria.

My diet right now I don’t think really matters, because I can change it 100% once I’m at home for the holiday. Right now it’s not exactly excellent, but I don’t eat any garbage food either.

For my workout, I’ve been in season for the past two weeks, practice 3 days a week, and 3 games each week. I’ve worked out twice a week using 3 sets of 2 reps on cleans, 3 sets of 6 on pull downs, and 3 sets of 6 on bench. I’m trying to keep my overall stregnth up, but keep my fatigue level down.

Over break, I’ll be able to skate likely 8-9 hours a week, and will be able to work out 6 days a week.

Currently, speed is my game, and playing HS, I pretty much don’t loose foot races to the puck.
I think that gaining speed is easier for me than putting on size, so I should be doing size work ealier rather than later.

Thanks for the help.