ghost throws
oly lift checks
5x8 pc (95,115,135,145,145)
5x8 squat (135,185,205,225,225)
self-massage
stretching (core)
15’ ice (r. shoulder)

notes:
-will do core work tomorrow morning, and lower beach lifts, lower injury lifts and lower stretching tomorrow with my upperbody day. felt tired gong into workout, but lifting always makes me feel better, just didn’t want to over do it. should be good to go tomorrow as i always feel much more energized on days after i lift. thinking about moving my offday to sats so that I’ll feel better for monday workouts
-power clean technique getting much better, just have to keep the weight light and concentration on mechanics while i cement the motor pattern and squats felt easy, but hard enough that i think i’ll still have some doms tomorrow, so no need to go heavier. starting 6 rep phase tomorrow, so i think i’ll get to see the wights get into the heavier range again, which is nice. it think that my muscular endurance is so poor that i tend to see better hypertrophy results with a lower rep range on bigger lifts (after getting some fitness back) simply because i cannot get a great enough stimulus in the typical hypertrophy rep range

3/26/2013 (am)

500 reps core

notes:
-I generally do weekend workouts in the am, and noticed that my energy levels seem much improved for the rest of the day. I think I’ll be switching core work, massage and stretching to mornings on weekdays. Will make waking up easier, me more productive at work and workouts after work shorter. i just have to give up my guaranteed 1 hr lunch break, which I don’t really care for because that is usually when I among the most tired in my day if I don’t exercise so i’m not looking to be real social in those hours anyways

Tuesday 3/26/2013 (pm)

5’ bike
oly lift checks
5x6:
-bench (135,145,155,155,175)
-lat pull-down (70, 95, 105, 120, 120)
2x10 (super-set with above):
-hamstrings curl (single leg on negatives, alt)
-calf raise
1x20 (also in super-set):
-each x-band
-ankle dorsi-flexion
2x10:
-upperbody circuit (10 exercises)
1x20:
-shoulder complex
-band pulls
-pullover stretch (normal grip, supinated grip both on swiss ball w/ feet anchored)
self-massage
stretching (lower, upper)
15’ ice (r. shoulder)

notes:
-felt good in the gym today. actually, energy levels felt pretty terrific in general. I will keep doing the core work in the am and will see if this trend continues. i also took hypersomnia medication before dinner as opposed to after (I’m forced to lift after dinner, which honestly is fine because I don’t do much cardio and then I eat after, too, so it probably allows me to eat more calories)
-because of gym time limitations, was not able to do full warm-up, but I’m not overly concerned as it was an upperbody day, and 175 is the heaviest I’ve benched for reps in a long time. can’t wait until I’m getting 185 for bench, 225 for clean and 315 for squat on the bar again. probably will hit those numbers by the time i get to a 4 rep week about 4 weeks from now. probably will do the full warm-up before stretch checks tomorrow, as I include it as much for the warming-up aspect as for the ROM and drills parts
-initially planned on tomorrow just being a yoga day, but probably will do 5’ bike, core and core stretching in the am and a full warm-up with stretch checks and some yoga afterwards in the pm

Wednesday 3/27/2013 (am)

5’ bike
500 reps core
stretching (core)

notes:
-definitely helped me wake up more. appetite felt better when eating breakfast, but worse for rest of morning. Maybe I digested my food better? I’ve definitely noticed that I don’t seem to gain anymore weight when I force down calories to the point of holding in vomit, so perhaps just attempting to overeat slightly is my best bet so that even if I can’t get down 10,000/day like some guys and gain ten pounds a week, I can get enough surplus to add 1 lb per week instead of not digesting it at all (and 1 lb/week is 52 lbs in a year, I’m sure most people would be plenty happy with that!!)
-upperbody looks noticibly smaller than yesterday morning. Probably not size, but a decrease in muscle tone. I think it’s pretty cool that I can kind of predict what part of the recovery process certain muscles are in based off their appearance relative to before the workout. they get real flat before doms, a little swollen looking while sore then with good tone and if I wait too long, slowly starts getting flatter again. i’ll also almost always notice weight loss the day after working lots of muscles, but then will gain it back (and hopefully more) by the time I feel like I’m fresh again

Wednesday 3/27/2013 (pm)

5’ elliptical
self-massage
yoga (10 positions)
thrower’s warm-up
jav specific stretches
stretch checks
injury stretches
15’ ice (r. shoulder)

notes:
-high energy on lower than typical dose of medication. i think working out in the morning is the way to go! chest and front of shoulders had some doms, but could see and feel an increase in my bodies muscle tone. physique is definitely looking my best ever, so great for the ego an adds to the motivation to work out, though i have to make sure that i keep the mindset that bodyfat gains are good since i need the weight and higher bf levels are associated with higher testosterone levels so i think getting up so im out of single digit bf% (as far as the usual under estimates go that people give visually, i assume im around 8-10%, but my coach would probably say 4-6%) would be beneficial to muscel gains
-shoulder mobility and discomfort definitely improving. yoga positions getting easier to hit

Thursday 3/28/2013 (am)

weigh in: 144 lbs
500 reps core
stretching (core)

notes:
-surprised at how light the weigh in was. woke up pretty hungry so i’m curious how much variation levels of recent food intake and hydration play, even if I do weigh-in’s when I first wake-up. The day I cracked 148 lbs in the morning, I barely hit 150 before bed, so I wonder what I will weigh before bed today. what I think I will do, because I’ve seen this type of fluctuations, where even if I’m doing great and adding 2 lbs/week, that measuring weight gain and loss is difficult because I see my weight generally fluctuate up to 8 lbs in a given, normal day. I think what I will do is weigh in each day when I wake up and each night before bed and then will keep track of my weekly high, low and mode. I just wanto gain about 15 lbs over the course of about a year, so if I add 2 lbs a month I’d be more than happy, and that could definitely look negligible in terms of how I’ve kept track of weight. it’s just too hard to see the effects of medication, dietary, recovery and training changes, so i suppose I’ll just have to be patient, trust in my experience, make sure I’m getting stronger and, most importantly, eat a ton
-visually I definitely look the best I have in a while. seeing bulk on my shoulders, obliques and arms that I’ve never seen before, as well as mass in the smaller muscles in my upper back. perhaps I’m weighing light because I haven’t really squatted heavy lately so I’m sure my lower back muscles and thighs, which I believe were much bigger in high school, arent carrying the mass they used to. i read everywhere that legs respond to high reps training, but i’m just so week much above 5 reps that I can’t say I’ve ever seen any of my major muscle groups grow lifting higher reps

Thursday 3/28/2013 (pm)

weigh in: 150 lbs

thrower’s warm-up
oly lift checks
5x6 pc (135,145,155,165(f@5),165)
5x6 squat (185,205,225,275,275)
2x10:
-hamstrings curl (single-leg negatives, alt)
-calf raise
1x20:
-each x-band
-ankle dorsi-flexion
self-massage
stretching (lower)
15’ ice (r. shoulder)

notes:
-as i suspected, equal to about the heaviest i’ve seen the scale tip in a year. will do am and pm weigh-in’s, then will record my high, low and mode for each week to keep track of mass gains
-felt great in the gym, doing core in the morning does not seem to have negatively affected the pm session. squats went up pretty easy, power clean form was pretty good. caught my last rep too high actually and pinched my neck skin, so i know i could’ve gone heavier, but i’m more concerned with technique
-not looking as fragile in a t-shirt anymore. definitely have more muscle, at least upperbody, even if scale doesn’t seem to show it. now that my squat weight s getting back up, perhaps i’ll see bigger weight gains

3/29/2013 (am)

weigh-in: 148 lbs

500 reps core
stretching (core)

notes:
-minor left gluteal doms

3/29/2013 (pm)

weigh-in: 150 lbs

thrower’s warm-up
oly lift checks
5x6:
-bench (135,145,155,165,175(F@4))
-lat pull-down (90,100,110,120,120)
2x10:
-upperbody circuit (10 exercises)
1x20:
-band pulls
-shoulder complex
-pullover stretch on medball (normal grip, supinated grip)
self-massage
stretching (upper)
15’ ice (r. shoulder)

weigh in: 152 lbs

notes:
-some leg soreness in the right places (lower glutes and upper hammys) and some oblique doms
-a little lower back fatigue post-workout. i’ll keep an eye on this, though I think it actually has to do more with ab stretching than muscular work

3/30/2013

weight: 148 lbs
500 reps core
stretching (core)

yoga class

thrower’s warm-up
oly lift checks
5x6 pc (135,145,155,165,165)
5x6 squat (225,225,225,250,275)
2x10:
-hamstrings curl (single-leg negatives, alt)
-calf raise
1x20:
-ankle dorsi-flexion
-each, x-band
self-massage
stretching (lower)
15’ ice (r. shoulder)
weight: 148 lbs

weight: 149 lbs

notes:
-used a free pass to attend a yoga class at a local fitness center. man, yoga is tough, but since so much of it requires good joint mobility, i think it’s a fantastic fit for my ROM problems
-off-day from medications, and still had a very solid day in the weightroom, perhaps my best yet. i know that the meds don’t harm my physical output, so i think its a positive sign as far as strength progress goes and nothing much more than proving how tired working 8-5 makes someone by the end of the day, even if its mostly just sitting in a cubicle

3/31/2013

weight: 148

snowboarding (all day)

notes:
-pretty much an offday, but the physical toll from snowboarding is enough I thought it warranted mentioning (plus I could definitely have some doms from it). top binding was a bit loose, so I might have some ankle soreness
-doing an unloading week. planning on only doing 3x5 of the major lifts, at a pretty easy weight. probably will cut down to 250 core reps and only 1x10 of circuit stuff, but will add in some depletion stuff a couple times this week
-appetite much improved, curious if this signifies a increase in metabolism or if I will see easier weight gains/maintenance if I can keep it up (added in wellbutrin to medications, generally an appetite supressent but its stimulating properties improve the exhaustion that ruins my appetite even worse than stimulants)

4/1/2013 (am)

weight: 146

250 reps core
stretching (core)

I always wondered, at what point do US D2/naia colleges grant a Javelin scholarship ? Throw some numbers at me :slight_smile:

Honestly, I’m unsure. I played baseball until my senior year of high school, and didn’t start training for javelin until this past Fall, after a year already of being a sprinter on my team. No scholarships in the ivy league, but to get free gear on my team (from nike), one only has to throw 185 ft, but if you don’t throw about 60m you won’t really be competitive. I’d assume because 60m could score at a d1 conference meet, and like 220 ft could move you into ncaa tournaments, that if someone cracks 200 ft in high school, they’d have a good shot at a scholarship at any level (I know the standard for baseball is that generally D2 scholarships are equally as hard to come by as D1 because limits are much lower. Don’t know much about naia)

4/1/2013 (pm)

weight: 150
throwers warm-up
ghost throws
acrobat checks
oly lifts checks
3x5 pc@135
3x5 squat@225
1x10:
-hamstrings curls (single-leg negatives, alt)
-calf raise
1x20:
-, each, x-band
-ankle dorsi-flexion
self-massage
stretching (lower)
15’ ice (r. shoulder)

notes:
-tons of pop and strength in the acrobat checks. legs starting to feel much springier. shoulder pain disappearing when going through throwing motion since ROM is getting better.

4/2/2013 (am)

weight: 149

250 reps core
stretching (core)

notes:
-appetite has continued to stay huge. still not very hungry in the am, but am able to force food down, and generally starving til I stuff my face all afternoon

4/2/2013 (pm)

weight: 152

thrower’s warm-up
oly lifts checks
3x5:
-bench@135
-lat pull-down@90
1x10 upperbody circuit (10 exercises)
1x20:
-shoulder complex
-band pulls
-pullover stretch (on stability ball)
self-massage
stretching (upper)
15’ ice (r. shoulder)
weight: 152

notes:
-felt actually “awake” for portions of today. an incredible feeling if you’ve felt groggy or on the verge of sleep for years. it’s like a clarity in my eyes that i actually feel like my mind is turned on as opposed to trying to go to sleep

4/3/2013 (am)

weight: 149.5
5’ bike
depletion push-ups (40,15,13)
depletion pull-ups (12,7,5)

notes:
-wow, strength endurance is bad. once its double digits, it just kills me, haha. surprised at how low the pull-up numbers, but I have actually noticed that while my strength endurance is poor, my general endurance is okay (can run a stronger 5k than 800)

4/3/2013 (pm)

5’ elliptical
jav specific stretches
self-massage
stretch checks
yoga (10 positions)
15’ ice (r. shoulder)
weight: 149

notes:
-appetite post-workout not as large as typical. no surprise though, because I didn’t lift. would like to see a higher weight than morning before going to bed since that usually includes food in my stomach, which I will no retain all the mass from once its out of my systen
-sore by evening from push-ups and pull-ups, man I really get a lot of doms from higher reps

4/4/2013

250 reps core
stretching (core)

notes:
-rib muscles and lower lat doms
-noticing that it appears that most of my upperbody growth seems to have occurred along my upper back/back of shoulders. primarily notice lower body growth in glutes and middle/lower back, but I am curious about the fact that my larger muscles up top dont appear to have seen much growth. I suppose it has to do with the fact that I struggle to get a large enough stimulus to see hypertrophy in higher rep ranges because I simply cant get enough weight on the bar. didn’t really notice lower body growth until I started to break 250 in the squat, maybe once I get better fitness or end up in a lower rep range and can start getting about 185 on the bar for bench and 135 for lat pull-downs, I’ll see some growth.
-I will be very curious in the up coming weeks to see if I experience more hypertrophy with 8,6,4, for reps than a more typical bodybuilding 10,8,6 area. my small muscles seem to respond well to higher reps because the percent of my max is much closer for them even in higher reps, if I’m looking at a 200+ max bench and a near 400 lb squat, however, it makes a lot of sense to me that the muscles aren’t growing as much, even if I’m putting as much as I can on for the rep range. if I see consistent growth with more around 5 reps, I suppose that’s even better because more relevant to increasing my absolute strength and cns power for explosive events (javelin, maybe sprinting)