fruit and fat?

I adhere fairly strictly to a diet EXCLUDING bread, pasta, rice, cereal, red meat, pork, and most desserts. I also don’t drink milk but I will eat products with dairy in them.
Since I exclude a lot of the food in the dining hall, I end up eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and I am becoming aware that high glycemic fruits can actually cause fat storage. Is this an issue of time of day? Quantity? Certain fruits are better than others?

Are you even getting enough protein at all? What are you trying to do???

Go to http://www.glycemicindex.com/ if you want to check the GI of any fruits. I would never consider cutting out fruit. Too many benefits.

If you’re worried about the high GI fruits such as bannanas, just throw them in post workout to spike your insulin and aid recovery. You will find most fruits are actually low-medium on the GI.

I eat chicken and fish, cottage cheese, egg whites, and protein shakes for protein- I have actually been trying to increase protein intake. I am not really trying to do an atkins thing with no carbs, I just want to be more selective about where most of my carbs come from. My numbers in the weight room have been going up so for now I will assume the protein intake is adequate.

What’s wrong with quality red meat once in a while? Or non-fat pork?

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_1.htm

and especially:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_2.htm

Just like any other carbohydrate source if you eat a “very” excessive amount you “can” gain fat, although at your bodyweight and lifestyle that’s not likely. A lot of people will scream “frcutose” oh no…it only refills liver glycogen etc. But even then an average piece of fruit will contain less than ~10 grams fructose anyway - the rest is glucose.

Kras, where are your carbs coming from? Don’t sweat the sugar in fruit. An active (stressed)person like you would need the anti-oxidants in fruits.

How much fruit would one person have to eat on a daily basis in order show an increase in body fat? Is it even worth worrying about?

The bioflavonoids and vitamins in fruit far outweigh any insulin spike you achieve from eating them. I eat the majority of my fruit in the morning and at that time I take fibre(phsyllium husks) so my insulin spike is very minor.

I’ve read before fructose only refills liver glycogen, anybody know if this is true?

It doesn’t really matter that much since the liver gives glucose off to the whole body.

It does matter when you’re doing a C-K-D.

I’d avoid fructose if it refills liver glucose, when I’m on a carb feed I want to fill muscle glycogen.

Everyone’s argued about the fructose thing already, but nobody has a real answer.

Would a CKD even be appropriate for someone like me? I am very interested in it but it seems geared to body-builders and perhaps not a smart idea for me (i train as a multi-eventer)

I have read through a lot of the info on the site and i can understand the rationale behind cutting out excess carb intake during the day, but i include carbs in my PWO shake… wouldn’t you still want to do this to promote recovery, rather than waiting for the once-a-week carb loading?

I don’t know much about CKD, but from what I have read it wouldn’t really make much sense for an athlete, especially a multi-eventer, to go on a very low carb diet… Carbs are the main source of fuel for energy in the body, fat is another; but it almost seems like this is more for aesthetic purposes more than anything (bodybuilding)… Am I wrong?

good point! consistency in everything -including your recovery process- is of paramount importance!

Have you got any comps soon?

You’d be training at a lower intensity while you’re on, you’d have less energy.

Depends on you going low intensity. It’s appropriate because you’ll be quicker without the dead weight.

I weight train only. I use a rep system to know how much glycogen I’ve depleted. I don’t know how much glycogen you’ll deplete with your training.

I did something similar (carbs pwo instead of refill).
You probably won’t lose enough fat (I didn’t), so you’ll lower carb amount. You could be in a non ketogenic state, take an amount of carbs that won’t do much for recovery, and lose intensity.

Check your PM’s. :smiley:

I have a string of comps once a week for the next few weeks, but to be honest I am so far off my PR’s in everything that it’s not realistic to expect to suddenly turn it around. I’m not giving up and I will still train mostly as my coach tells me to, but I don’t see why I can’t at least look into some alternatives.

I’m worried that I am in an in-between state just as you said- too many carbs for ketosis, but questionable recovery. It’s hard to judge.

It seems that there are a couple modifications of this diet to account for high-intensity activity… one includes the once a week carb loading phase as i said, and another version includes carbs immediately pre and post-workout, otherwise excluding them. The second option is probably what I would go for if I decide to try it, partly because at the dining hall i can’t always exclude carbs unless i don’t want to eat, and plus i imagine that suddenly going from moderate carbs to NO carbs probably makes you feel pretty crappy.

this all would be easier of course if i ate red meat :rolleyes:

the latter is personal preference; your body learns to adapt, but in my opinion, with red meat, up to a point (i.e., red meat is pretty good, but if you don’t, you don’t). BTW, is all ok with your blood? Iron stores i mean…

i would be very careful with CHO IMMEDIATELY pre-workout for possible effects on your blood glucose -even in sprinters

so, if you had to choose, you would choose right…

by immediately i really meant a half hour or so before if that makes a difference. i had an iron deficiency when i was little, but the last time i had a blood test things were within normal range (oct or nov.) taking a multivit has helped there.

i have found a bulk of information on this topic, i will be poring through it at length :slight_smile: