from the hang?

I’m training for my vertical and I know you have a lot of material on that already, but one thing is not yet clear to me. Should I do my PC and snatch from the hang or from the ground. It seems the opinions vary here. I do full squats and deadlifts as well as GHR, so I figured I did’nt need it for my hammys. It seems more of a sportspecific movement from the hang…to me it is a very simular movement to jumping if I stick to the second pull.
I’m wondering on your vieuw on this, if it’s discussed on a previous note, please tell me where, for I could’nt find it.
Rex

If you’re doing full squats then yes it may be more specific to do the lifts from hang.

in regards to the hang, where do most start their hang from? above or below the patella?

I personally rest the bar across my hips and keep it there during the (minimal!) dip by drawing back the lats. I believe this is the most explosive way of performing the lift and also minimises stress on the lower back.

Yeah you can initate the movement from any position, however a requirement is for the bar to reach over the patella.

My interpretation from your post was that the hang can be done from the hip position without lowering the bar to the patella. . Am i wrong ?

David W , what you have described is not a hang snatch but a 3/4 snatch. The hang position is when the bar is over patella.

Sharmer: You can initiate a hang lift from any position above the ground - an inch from the floor or an inch from full extension! What makes you think otherwise??

are their two waves? One larger macro wave that is general with a smaller side wave with specific needs that are less powerfull yet still effective?

Originally posted by Clemson
are their two waves? One larger macro wave that is general with a smaller side wave with specific needs that are less powerfull yet still effective?

right thread Clemson? :stuck_out_tongue:

A hang lift can be initiated any place above ground level. Hang above knee, or hang below knee. While we’re on the subject, a power clean refers to the depth that the bar is caught at, for olympic lifters this means higher than a full squat. Concerning the matter on which is better hang or floor, it doesn’t matter. Or better yet, do them both.

Louie talked about this issue in Juniata this past weekend. His point was that those who ignore the pull from the floor to the thigh are ignoring the strength involved in that phase of the pull.Many do just the hang inhopes of eliminating flaws in the technique.However as Louie pointed out as the stronger the athlete becomes the more potential for gains will happen in the explosive lifts.It is important to note Louie was speaking on the main problems American weight lifters have competing in today’s competitive field. That is we need to develop our absolute strength. Louie feels we (Colarado Springs) are failing in this area.

Don’t you think the problem with US weightlifting has more to do with attracting talent to the sport than with training methods? Also, shouldn’t the US maybe look at other successful weightlifting programs rather than listening to a powerlifting expert. Wouldn’t it be more sensible to look at what the Greeks, Bulgarians, Russians do? No offense to Simmons, as he’s clearly a great powerlifting coach, but the fact is that he doesn’t train weightlifters.

I agree that we have to have a bigger talent pool.I also admit that Simmons does not train weightlifters.However his current method of training was established by studying and reading from the best minds of the Eastern Bloc countries.Would you disagree with his premise that there is a need to develop the absolute strength of our elite weight lifters?

US powerlifters certainly perform better on the world stage than their weightlifting counterparts which implies limit strength is not the limiting factor. Why can’t powerlifters translate their strength into weightlifting? RFD!

Shane Hamman (America’s #1 superheavyweight weightlifter) has squatted 1,008lbs yet can’t compete with Rezazadeh or Jaber in weightlifting.

David:
The truth is the U.S. has been getting their clock cleaned in International Powerlifting in recent years.The U.S. men did not win one gold in last years world championships.The Russians and the Ukraines have both surpassed U.S. lifters.Both countries have a bevy of young and talented lifters.Thus the future does not look promising for U.S. lifters.
I can’t believe that with technology and as much as we have studied their systems that the training can be that different.I have also learned that weightlifting is the Soviet’s 14th favorite sport.If that is true than can their talent pool be that different from ours?
Perhaps there is another reason why our drug free lifters performances are far from the Eastern Bloc standards.

Originally posted by Donm79
Shane Hamman (America’s #1 superheavyweight weightlifter) has squatted 1,008lbs yet can’t compete with Rezazadeh or Jaber in weightlifting.

Yet Shane Hamman has incredible explosiveness and strength together. What he lacks is training time under his belt, he did start later, and he gets drug tested a lot more often…

On the other hand if you guys had some of your NFL phenoms doing weightlifting I bet things might turn around a bit :slight_smile:

load - I think the US’s lack of success in the IPF has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of the most talented powerlifters in the US now compete in organisations such as the WPO, where there is no drug testing, unlimited gear, extra-stiff squat bars, and 48 hours between weigh-in and competition. I think it’s a shame that more talented American lifters don’t compete in the IPF, which is fast becoming the only legit powerlifting organisation.

Donm,
I could not agree with you more!!! Well said!

The culture of the US does not lend itself to Olympic weightlifting likebodybuilding has in the US. Generally speaking, the US is more concerned with esthetics (looks) versus performance. Weightlifting needs a charismatic figure, like Ali did for boxing, or Arnold in bodybuilding, to attract young kids. It all starts with the kids.
Never neglect lifts off the floor. The lifter needs to maintain a nice flat back longer, than a lift from the hang. Acudave