French training methods

[b]A few questions for you Pierrejean:

• The weekly schedule that you gave is obviously GPP. What would next phase of training look like? How would Piasenta transition to the type of training that Perec did prior to WC’s?[/b]

Yes, this schedule is for GPP, but the same structure was used all the year. The changes were the content of work for each day, but each day in the week had the same objective, regardless the mounth. Of course, the volume was reduce when competitions were getting closer, and the work was more and more specific, even though Piasenta uses to say everything he did at training was specific.

- Since all of the athletes did the same type of training in GPP, when did Piasenta seperate his athletes into more specific event groups?

Very difficult to say, he liked to mix people, hurdlers and sprinters, yound and experiment athletes. He was a PE teacher, but his elite training group was very small, about 10 athletes. When he coached Pérec, there was Dan Philibert and Philippe Tourret (13.26 and 13.28 110H), Monique Ewange-Epee and Anne Piquereau (12.56 and 12.74 100mH). Everybody warmed-up in the same time, as they all arrived at the stadium at 11.30 or 18:30. Then, the track cession was different of course. About the annual schedule it was the same, first, they did more or less the same work, and then get into more specific training. But impossible to say when it occured, it was very progressive i think.

- What were the training volumes like during the various periods? How much extensive tempo/aerobic type work did Piasenta keep in Perec’s program throughout here season.?

Piasenta was very secret about his methods, even though he ironically invited anybody to visit Créteil stadium!
From what i know, speed cessions volumes were about 600-800m (for e.g. 80 + 150 + 200 + 150 + 80). Specific 400m cessions were realized over about the same distances, but with sprints at 50sec pace if you’re targetting 50sec for 400m in competition, with walks between them. Specific test for Pérec was 500m + 400m with 15min rest. As i said earlier, Pérec did 23 specific training cessions for 400m in 1991, which is poor (due to injury) said Piasenta. 30 would be a normal value for Pérec at that time. Her preparation with John Smith was also different.
I don’t know much more about Piasenta/Pérec training, however, comparing Pérec with Marita Koch, Jarmila Kratochvílová and Olga Bryzgina, we see 4 quite different approaches of 400 training!

Thanks for the repsonse pierrejean.

My only other curiosity is what form of jumps/plometrics Piasenta included in the program both for Perec and for others.

Please feel free to post any of Piasenta’s sessions; I always like looking at such things.

In terms of the athletes you have mentioned, I only have specific knowledge of Kratocvilova’s workouts, which were brutal.

Cheers

I have described some of Piasenta’s favourite exersises (jumps/strides over low hurdles with weight vests, Polish bench,etc). The major part of the pliometrics and muscles development work was to develop feet strength. He oftne uses the comparison with Formula 1 cars: you can have the best engine, if your tyres are bad, you can’t go fast. His athletes had very good engine, and above all great tyres. About trakc cessions: from long distances and slow races during the winter to short and fast in summer, from quantity to quality, from general to specific.
About lifting: he doesn’t care how much one can squat or bench (his athletes don’t bench anyway, and don’t use classic squats, he prefers front squat, with paralel feet and small spaces between hands on the bar), he pays more attention on tests like 5 squats in 10 seconds. For him, the incredible level of quad strength we notice in nowadays sprinters is a result of doping, and it’s more improtant to work feet strength: 45° leg press, eercises with straight leg and ankle flexions, 30m hops or bounds, development of “triceps sural” strength (don’t know the word in English for those muscules), 20 minutes jogging with straight legs, running only with fet extension…

About Kratochvílová, it seems that her pliometric work was very poor, as she wasn’t able to jump due to spine problems. Instead of that, she did a lot of hill runs to increase her strength (she use dot lift before doing hills). The volume in her workout was really impressive, Pérec did maybe half of that volume while working with Piasenta. Pérec met Koch nd her husband after Barcelona, and she realized that she trained as much for her World title in 1991 as Koch did while a teenager! (5 training cessions a week, 2h30 a day).

Charlie,
That breakdown of hip height factors is a gem. So much information in such a short space. Be sure to include that breakdown in future ebook editions.

Thanks. I just re-read it. It is pretty concise. When we get to a technique E-book, we can take advantage of the unique feature of E-publishing by using MOVING illustrations of all concepts!

Originally posted by pierrejean
He oftne uses the comparison with Formula 1 cars: you can have the best engine, if your tyres are bad, you can’t go fast.

I agree 100% with this. Its something I have been working on a lot this year. The foot/lower leg interaction needs a lot of development, particularly with females. You can have all the strength and power in your hips but if it gets absorbed by your lower legs rather than being returned you aren’t going to go anywhere and you’re going to use twice the energy doing it.

P.J., in the Lactate Threshold Trining thread you mention the use of jumps to work the start and acceleration phase and sometimes as an alternative to accel, max velo, and SE workouts. Is this your way of developing “great tyres” while at the same time getting a workout done (shampoo & conditioner in one :stuck_out_tongue: )?
Thanks

I’ve found where i wrote about the jumps:
“My reference to Verkhoshanski’s experiences is for example an article published in Legkaya Atletika in 1974, i sum-up the experiences: 3 groups: Group1 uses “short jump” training (acyclic, short distances), G2 uses “long jump” training (cyclic, long distances), G3 uses combinaison of the short and long jumps. Here are ths results after 9 months: for 30m (accel), G1 had the greatest improvements, followed by G3 and poor result for G2. For flying 30m (max speed), G3 had the best improvements, then G2 and G1. For Flying 60m (SE), it was G2, G3 and poor results for G1. For the whole 100m, clearly the best results came for G3, followed by G2 and G1.”

I personaly have used with my international male sprinter G1 and G2 types of jumping work. The volume of work and type of exercise is very individual (i’m still very basic in these exercises, and unlike the other coaches of my country i don’t spend my time trying to learn new type of exercises at each workout, i think it’s too stressful for the athlete and i don’t like when a top-sprinter is consistently desadaptated, because of 1) injury risk, 2) risk to alter running technique, 3) athletes don’t like to feel in danger during the pre-competition period, so every new exercise is learned early in the season).
I use these jumps as supplements to start/accel workout (the running cessions have a very low volume so there’s often room left for jumps) or as an alternative to start/accel and SE (synthetic tracks and spikes are so stressful that whenever it’s possible i chose alternatives).

Above all, this athlete likes jump exercises and plyometrics, and i’m pretty sure he could long jump 7.50m with a half run-up. So what applies to him doesn’t applies to an other sprinter unless i find a twin of him! In any case, i would follow the shampoo rule :smiley:

I love this thread! :slight_smile: I just posted this to keep it alive so it doesnt expire! Is there any way to store threads to my hard drive?

Charlie OR anyone else - I have been teaching athletes these cues … in order

1. lift toes
  2. lift heal
  3. step over the knee

when do you suggest dorsiflexion to begin

Maybe just saving pages??:)BTW, I love this thread too…

I usually cue the toe up as the foot passes over the support knee. the danger of cuing it early is a loss of extention and the possibility of dragging the leg through rather than the the toe-off initiating the folding of the leg, which generates a huge saving of energy and greatly reduces the risk of a quad injury.

This is a resumé of Jacques Piasenta seminar, morning theory and film projection. Afternoon, workout with kids…

He coached sprinters Pérec 1991-1993 (10.96, 21.99, 48.83 under his guidance), Arron 1993-2000 (10.73, 22.26), Hurtis 2000-2001… Also Monique Ewange-Epee (12.56 European Champ at 100mH).
Also coached hurdlers Caristan (13.20) and Philibert (13.26) from kid years to European Record and 3 World champs finals respectively. Worked few month with Guy Drut.
Retired in 2001 but came back this year with only one athlete, Muriel Hurtis who gave birth in March.

Note that it doesn’t reflect my own feelings, i’m just giving a transcript of this very interesting day, however i have deleted some provocative quotes that would not match with the forum rules…

I hope this will lead to some interesting discussions…

Jacques Piasenta, 64, was PE teacher, all his observation of kids helped him to fix problems in top level athletes.

In 30 years of coaching, top level teached him only 3 things :

• forward leg cycle thanks to long jumper and pentathlete Heïde Rosendhal (FRG) in Munich’72
  • Soviet discus throw Murashova who kept the discus on her back at the start of her run-up, giving more distance to the implement for increasing speed release
  • French hurdler Guy Drut, who, unwillingly managed to take “advanced step” before the hurdle. Piasenta wrote an artice in 1974 about this discovery and started to work with Drut few month before Montreal’76 Games.

The danger is to imitate top level athletes, for example Lauryn Williams who runs with backward cycle, if Evelyn Ashford had used forward cycle she would have get less injuries and probably run faster. Ben Johnson had the same start pattern as kids, throwing both arms backward while leaving the blocks. Kids should not hold the pole vertically during run-up, they should not do shot put in translation because they don’t have the strength for it.
Allyson Felix and Jeremy Wariner have their arms flexed <45°, like Ethiopians runners, this allow to lightened upper body thanks to the dynamic fixation of arms. Sprinters should not have tensed opened hands like Carl Lewis because it create tension on 60 muscles on hand and foreharm.

Each Sunday they do organic workouts (jogging in nature at various speeds with various grounds, downhill and uphill. This permit to support specific workouts later in the program. In Barcelona, 8 days before the Olympics (she won 400m in 48.83), Pérec did a jogging in a parc where pigs used to search truffles. The ground was terrible, but it worked all her little leg muscles as well as proprioception. He insisted a lot on feet strength, which are like tires with Formula 1. You can have all the strength with your legs, if the feet are weak, you will not be able to apply it. Like a shout putter with strong arms but weak writs.
With kids, cross country was a good base, example of Thierry Vigneron, Pole Valut WR holder during eighties who won a national x-country race as a youth. Now it no longer works because kids don’t like it. In Germany, competitions for kids are interesting, they can do individual events if they have previously qualified through multiple events competitions. If a high jumper only trains at his speciality, he will injured his knee few years later had quit sports at age 19. Piasenta met Monique Ewange-Epee in 1987, 2 years after her European Junior title at 100mH. She had problems because her body suddenly took 8 kilos and it raised an injury at her take-off leg. He realised that she had never passed hurdles with her second leg, creating an imbalance in her leg and back muscles.
Like in languages learning, better do a little often than a lot rarely.
Training is repeating right gesture (kids always learn the bad things quicker than good things).
Don’t give technical advices, but your workouts should raise questions to athletes.
Failures should only provide the will to try again.

With the same ingredients and recipe a cooker will make good food, while a Chief will make great food. Same for coaches, but nobody can tell why.
He never give an athlete twice the same workout during a season. Muriel Hurtis has never made the same workout as Christine Arron. I have never been able to compare Arron’s training times with Pérec because Pérec was always too lazy to train at higher that 80% of her possibilities, while Arron worked like a fool. Arron had a very bad experience of USA training with John Smith (she spent 6 month there) because everyone was doing the same workouts, which are the same for decades. He doesn’t understand how they can do weights and such high volume on the track in the same day. His workouts last 3h to 3h ½. Never 2 workouts a day. This way, tendons rest during 24 hours. He does video cessions at home with athletes in order to analyse them and to make them thinking about what they are doing.
They do 10 bounding strides test, the group record his held by Stéphane Caristan (former European Record Holder at 110mH with 13.20) with 38.75m, the female record is 34.50m, Pérec and Arron did about 31m.

Muriel Hurtis gave birth on 21 March 2005. 61 days later, her stride length was 2.08m, now (September) it is 2.42m, in 2 or 3 month, it will be 2.50m. Piasenta has a build a special decameter for her and she work with ladders on track with spaces at 2.295m, or 2.31m, or 2.325m, 2.35m…2.425m, etc…, with or without weight vest of 2.5kg, 3kg, etc… the training times are not really good so far, but she is pleased to see that her stride is lengthening.
15 days ago, they stared the starting block workouts with 3 different body positions. They will soon make timing tests to see which position is the most efficient. The sprinters should push more on the front block, while the back leg should come ahead as fast as possible (therefore not push too much on back block).
He has to fix a problem with Muriel: she developped to large thigh muscles because with her former coach her technique went down and ran with too much flexed knee during support, causing overloading on her thighs, hypertrophy on certain muscles.
He never do back squats because of the overloading on neck and spine. He prefers front squats with little space between feet. A woman can lift 150kg for back squat, but with the same strength applied, she can do a safer 100kg in front squat. Athletes should be like Formula 1 cars, powerful and light.
A good way to do specific muscles development is a 20m drill shown on video: 12.5m full speed acceleration from blocks, and the sprinter should decelerate before the 20m line, with a progressive backward inclination of the body. They do a lot of bounding with different kind of hurdles, single legs, hops jumps, etc… They spend a lot of time in core work, abdominal exercises inspired from a Japanese gymnastic coach, in order to have a correct pelvis position.

We have not seen a single example of classic workout with usual distances of 30m, 60m, 80m, etc… He seemed to take care of never use “scientific” vocabulary like lactic, aerobie, etc, because he doesn’t believe in these categories. For him, even 30m sprints are lactic, because the following day his athletes have soreness on their legs. Impossible to have more details on actual training of his sprinters, but loads of drills and technical exercises, for the reason that each athlete has its own program.

Ben Johnson throws both arms forward at the start…

He uses an acceleration ladder with a weight vest…

back squats overload the neck and spine so he doesn’t prescribe them…

quite interesting

Sorry Ben throw backwards, i’ve corrected it in my original text. Note that pictures and slow motion films of Ben don’t support Piasenta’s theory…

Im always interested to hear of his methods pierrejean, was this a recent seminar?

Is the flexed knee during support phase caused by the hips being too low? Did jaques explain how he would cure this problem?

I think I remember a similar discussion (maybe about Asafa Powell) in which Charlie says more strength training is needed to increase hip height, is this correct?

Yes, it was few days ago, even if he would have done the same speach 10 years ago (without the updates on Muriel of course).

Low knee flexion is one of the consequence of higher hips relative to the ground. Pia never talks about the high hip concept used by Charlie (hip height = ankle flexion + knee flexion). Pia focuses on low knee flexion and high ankle extension, so they are talking about the same thing.

He said that Muriel needs now to strengthen her calves, which is done through specific exercises/drills done without knee flexion, with or without weight vest, which forces ankle extensors to work more. I know that Charlie doesn’t like to work too much on calves because of the overload on limb extremities which slower the cycling frequency. However, Pia focuses more on step length, Pérec, Arron and Hurtis all had/have/will have around 2.50m stride length (which leads to 43-45 steps during 100m) for 1.80, 1.77 and 1.80m body height respectively.
Muriel has done back squats (up to 220kg) and leg press (up to 450kg) with her former coach 2002-2004 with whom she ran her 10.96 PB. This Pia never uses and is even opposed. Let’s hope she can come back to this level and break her old (1999) 200m PB of 22.31, she was just 20 then.

I think Pia is the man to do it. He seems to produce the relaxed, graceful sprinters and from memory this is the style of Hurtis?

I hope so… Muriel has worked 2 years with him but her results were down (for several reasons not necessarily related to track…). He is very proud and i supposed he thinks that he has not finished his job with her, so I think he wants to put his mark in her career as he did for the 2 others.

A few thoughts that might be due to language.
I DO believe in calf work via drills (running As Bounds etc)- a lot of them. I simply believe that the drill numbers are so high that additional weights on that area are superfluous.
I don’t understand your description of me as hip height+ knee flexion and ankle flexion??
High hips + straighter knee at ground contact closer to bottom dead centre and I believe in allowing full ankle extention (triple extention) not early ankle flexion a la Seagrave.