Freelap system

Has anyone tried the freelap touch and release timing system?
http://www.freelaptrackandfield.com/video/touch-and-release.php

It looks like it could be a very consistent way of self timing.
Any feedback would be great before I buy one.

A couple of guys at elitetrack.com have one. I have heard good things about it.

Woah, was looking forward to getting one untill I saw the price… $544 for everything in the above video! what a load of bullshit! What planet are these morons living on.
Maybe there are some cheaper self timing kits out there.

LOL, I think those funds could be put towards better use - training education etc.

About six years ago I purchased $3,000 of Brower timing equipment. The investment paid off in a number of ways, the most notable among those were a) it provided immediate objective feedback, b) it allowed me to step back and observe other details rather than focus attention on timing, c) it improved my record keeping, and perhaps most important, d) athletes perform better in practices when using an automated timing system.

Last summer Coach Ken Jakalski introduced me to Freelap. He too had a collection of timing equipment, including Brower, MicroGate, and Sparq. Freelap had become his system of choice, and when I purchased my first Freelap, I immediately understood why. Yes, it’s less than a third the cost of Brower, and yes you can time things that can not be done with photocells, but among the most compelling reasons are the compact size and ease of setup.

The Freelap transmitters fit in a cinch bag, and once you own a system, you will take it to every practice and begin measuring every workout. I can set up a 17 meter fly in the time it takes me to walk 17 meters. Any good training program will include continued reassessment and detailed records, and the convenience of Freelap makes these tasks much more objective, accountable, and far less tedious.

In the past few months I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to talk, email, Skype, twitter, blog, and meet with coaches, trainers, and athletes in a wide variety of sports–from T&F to football to ice hockey to wheel chair basketball–about ways in which technology, and automated timing in particular, can enhance their training programs. It’s easy to understand why they are successful in their respective disciplines. After each PR, win, or achievement, they immediately set out to find new ways to improve.

Last night I got an email from Kenta’ Bell after his first session with Freelap. He placed a transmitter at the board and another at the end of the runway near the sand. The placement of the transmitters and the immediate feedback of timing data allowed him to focus on velocity and he was quite pleased with the results. Carl Valle has written articles on ways to integrate Freelap timing data with Polar HR data to identify over-training. Jimson Lee has blogged on how self-coached masters athletes can measure their own workouts. Mike Young is testing a standing foot-start prototype. Ken Jakalksi is developing high school XC and T&F workout protocols based on multiple Freelap watches and transmitters.

These are just a few of the outside-the-box thinkers who are using the system’s versatility to enhance their training programs. I expect we’ll hear more in the coming weeks and months.

Then again, what do I know; I’m just a moron. :slight_smile:

Best,
Christopher Glaeser
Sports Technology Evangelist

RB34, Well at that price I agree.

glaeser, thanks for the input. The freelap is no doubt a great piece of equipment and I would love to get one. The compact size and accuracy is very appealing, however the price… I was expecting maybe $200 at the very most.
Maybe if I start earning $1000 a week or they come down in price.

That’s cheaper than almost all of the other alternatives other than building a system yourself.

@major, Another option is the Freelap Affiliate Program that deposits 10% of each click-through sale to your PayPal account.

Best,
Christopher Glaeser
Sports Technology Evangelist

I purchased a FreeLap system at the end of the last track season, and I absolutely love it. I currently just have two transmitters and one watch so that I can measure fly-in sprints. The most common use for me is timing the last 20m of 60m sprints. I’ve also used it to time the final 80m of a 120m speed endurance run. It’s great to be able to instantly know what percentage of your maximum you’re at for the day.

As has been mentioned, the ease of carry and setup is the first thing you’ll notice with the compact system. Other benefits include the precision and the fact that it never misses a rep (unlike the SPARQ system I was using before). I plan to buy more transmitters over time so that I can catch the splits throughout special endurance runs. How could any track nerd not want to catch every 20-50m of a 300m?

This is one of the compelling features of Freelap. Two transmitters and a watch weigh in at 1.25 pounds and easily fit in carry-on luggage. Brooks Johnson sent me a note yesterday that they are taking Freelap to Daegu. Expect to see more of these systems both at home and on the road.

Last month I was showing it at NSCA in Las Vegas and last week at IDEA World Fitness in LA. When coaches and athletes see the system, they immediately “get it” and begin to visualize ways the system can enhance their training. Masters athletes can time themselves. Football dads can accurately time their son’s progress in the forty. Rugby teams can take it in the road. Hockey coaches can set up a timed coarse on the ice. Jumpers can measure velocity at the toe board. Trainers who work with professional athletes for a brief period and then send them home to train remotely, can now send them home with an objective timing system. These are just a few of the ways this system can be used to enhance your training.

Christopher. Your information on the Freelap system is interesting (I may look into the system next spring) but your posts are beginning to sound like an infomercial. Perhaps if you were more active in other threads, then you would be a more valuable member of cf.com community. Other members do make mention of their websites, seminars and or ebooks on the site but they do contribute your thoughts and or experience in other ways too. Are you only on here to promote your product???

I agree that Christopher needs to tone down the sales pitch.

That being said, Ku2u loaned me his Freelap system this summer, and it is super-accurate as well as easy to set up and use. It is not cheap, but if you train on your own, it’s pretty much a must in my opinion.

It does not miss reps, ever. That alone eventually takes some sting out of the price. It’s really nice to be able to get accurate 150m and 200m splits when runnning a 200m Special Endurance run, for example.

From a coaching perspective, it would be good to use with athletes on a training day when expecting good results. It’s easy for athletes to peek at the times, so they better be good!