FREE Education For Kenya's Junior Medallists

FREE EDUCATION THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL FOR KENYA’S JUNIOR MEDALLISTS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT INCENTIVE AND REWARD. OF COURSE EDUCATION SHOULD BE FREE EVERYWHERE FOR EVERYONE. kk :slight_smile:

Kenya: Juniors Assured of School Assistance

The Nation (Nairobi)

April 5, 2006

Anne Njambi
Nairobi

All the junior medallist in the just concluded championships will be educated by the government through high school while all the members of the Fukuoka team were rewarded with Sh10,000 each.

Sports minister Maina Kamanda disclosed this while receiving the Kenya team arriving from the 34th World cross-country championships in Fukuoka, Japan. The team arrived to a colourful reception at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi.

The minister who hosted the team to a luncheon at the Carnivore’s Simba restaurant said the juniors would be educated through the Constituency Development Fund (CDF) in their respective constituencies.

World cross-country 6km junior gold medallist Pauline Chemining drinks the Kalenjin traditional sour milk from her mother at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport on arrival from Fukuoka yesterday. Photos by Mohammed Amin

The juniors who won medals are Pauline Korkwang, Veronica Nyaruai, Mercy Kosgei, Mangata Ndaiwa and Leonard Kemol.

He also presented cheques to Commonwealth gold medallist Augustine Choge and bronze medallist Benjamin Limo. The two went straight to Fukuoka after last month’s Commonwealth Games in Melbourne.

Sports Commissioner Gordon Oluoch, MP Joseph Ole Nkaissery and five-time world cross country champion Paul Tergat were also at the airport to receive the team.

The team shared the spoils with Ethiopia reclaiming the senior men’s team title.

They won two individual gold medals through juniors Mangata Ndiwa and Pauline Korkwang. Ndiwa won the men’s 8km junior race in a time of 23:53 while Korkwang beat rival Veronica Nyaruai in the junior womens 6km race.

“I gave it my all, the race was good and I am delighted,” said Korkwang.

The team also collected four silver and two bronze. Isaac Songok finished second to Kenenisa Bekele in the 12km to clinch a silver while Leonard Kemol won the silver behind Ndiwa in the junior 8km. The other two silvers came from Prisca Jepleting in the senior women’s 12km and Nyaruai.

Martin Mathathi took the bronze in the senior men’s race while Mercy Kosgei bagged the a bronze in the juniors 6km.

Coach John Mwithiga said it was the beginning of a comeback for Kenya who have had to rally behind rivals Ethiopia since 2000.

“The team had a vision and we left here knowing we were going for a battle. We were determined to go and reclaim lost glory,” he said.

He continued, “We had a lot of tactics but we cannot disclose this. We are keeping our secrets secret because we want to discover what has been a drawback.”

Mwithiga said the senior women also did well despite the fact they did not step on the medals podium. The first Kenyan finisher in the women’s 12km senior race was Everline Wambui who came in eighth.

Relevant Links

East Africa
Athletics
Education
Kenya
Sport

He promised better results in the Mombasa World Championships next year. “They did well because we lost that title by about six points but come next year I am sure we are reclaiming that title as well,” said Mwithiga.

Asked about Kenenisa Bekele’s absence in next year’s championship, Mwithiga said it would be sad if the cross country legend was not in Mombasa.

“We really wanted Bekele in Mombasa because we want to know how we are fairing. His absence is a big drawback but I wish him well,” the coach said.