Force Velocity vs Force Time

I know that Charlie has spoken of the force time curve and, in doing so, has made it much easier to comprehend.

Is there a big difference between force time and force velocity? When would each be used in trying to convey a point about training?

Force time curve shows you what happens to force depending on the time available to produce a movement (e.g. 1 second vs. 0.2 second). This is useful if you’re comparing very different types of sports (e.g. powerlifting vs. most sporting movements) or even different athletes.

So one athlete might have a higher max force capacity but it takes him 2 seconds to get there. An athlete with a lower max force capacity might still win if there are only 0.2 seconds to generate force b/c the second athlete has a higher RFD.

Force velocity curve shows how force production capacity changes with speed of movement (e.g. slow vs. fast). Useful for comparing different, well, speeds of movement in the same exercise. Although the in-vitro force velocity curve has some issues when you extrapolate it to the whole body.

I have no idea if that even begins to address what you’re asking.

Sprint training should attempt to move the force-velocity curve up and to the right, where as it should move the force-time curve up and to the left.

A separate force velocity graph is used for each activity that you’re looking at?

One singular force time graph could be used for all activities and they would be plotted at different points?

I thought training was designed to first raise force velocity curve( increase in strength ) and then shift it up to the left ( express strength more quickly)?