Force application speed and stick flex

Does anyone have any experience with the flex of a players sticks here?

The common conception is that if you’re stronger you should use a stiffer stick. Well my theory is that since all sticks have the same force ability in them (that are senior of the same model/brand) and you should choose your flex based on how fast you can apply force, not just pure stregnth.

So someone like brett hull who used a super flexy stick had stregnth but maybe slow force application. Then with someone like Alex Kovalev who is also strong using a really stiff flex like he does has stregnth AND fast force recruitment.

Anyone think there’s anything to this?

I think that makes sense.

This summer while doing some on ice work I was shooting around with some kids and there was one kid who had a 1 piece from some guy on the Stars. It was really flexy and holy crap I took a shot and bang, it shot right off the thing like a rocket without even trying. I lined one up from the top of the circle and bang, rifled it top corner.

My shot sucks by the way.

I didn’t want to break the stick so I gave it back but it was perfect for me.

I think it would be cool to analyse how different these guys shoot and see who would use the stick to help them (like me) or one that just does what it should do.

Have you seen Brett Hull play? How can you say that Brett Hull had slow force application . . . :confused:
If you watch videos of Hull, he clearly used the flexy stick in a way which used it’s springiness to good effect: On wrist shots he would sort of let the stick do the work by initiating the shot and then letting the stick complete the shot by it’s springing back to straight after the initial bend. Maybe this technique would be suited to a different type of player as well. Stick type would be influenced not only by physical characteristics (strength, quickness, etc.) but by style as well.

I don’t think he meant Brett’s shot relied on the stick he’s just saying it’s different from a guy like Kovalev. Both have different shots but both of them are unreal.

On a side note, one of the guys I train plays with Phoenix and told me this summer that Brett Hull was so out of shape during 2005 training camp it was almost sad. Unreal shot though, he was on the recieving end.

I’m not exactly sure what I was trying to say with that, but the stick flex defiately ISN’T just based on your stregnth level.

So what made me think of this? I’ve been shooting off ice with a wood 85 flex stick, and although my shot improved and accuracy and such has all gotten better. But now the step up to a stiffer stick at 90-95 flex feels ackward on the ice because the force application feels smoother and faster on the stiffer stick on the ice. :confused:

A more flexible stick is better for wrist shots. A stiffer stick is better for slap shots. This is noticeable if you’ve ever used the different flexes.

1-pieces are far superior to any wooden or 2-piece stick I’ve ever used. There’s also alot of variation in the quality of 1-piece sticks being produced. There is ABSOLUTELY no point in purchasing a cheap 1-piece stick. Don’t buy those garabage 1-piece sticks that are around $125 CAD… trust me, they all suck.

If you’re gonna spend the dough you might as well get a superior product. I’d go with with one of the high-end Easton sticks. Other companies can’t really compete with Easton’s sticks, in my opinion. I’d get either the SL or the Stealth. I’m happy with my red SL I got for $240. It maintains it’s whip even after many uses. I have an 85 flex and the puck rockets off the stick for snap shots.

The ST goes for about $190 CAD and I don’t recommend it. It’s heavy, awkward and you don’t get the snap you get in the better models.

No matter what stick you buy, you should take advantage of the 30-day warranty. If you don’t like the feel of the stick, break it and get a different model. I’ve done this many times… no questions asked.