Football Sprinters

Faulk would be great at 60m I think.

Barry might not have been bad, either.

Darrell Green won the Nfl’s fastest man competition more than anyone else. He couldn’t go to the LA Olympics because he turned pro in '83. He beat Olympians like Ron Brown and Willie Gault. He also beat Carl Lewis head to head while in college. He also ran down alot of fast guys from behind (e.g., Tony Dorsett), and even in his late thirties when he covered Randy Moss, Moss couldn’t outrun him.
By the way, some of the guys mentioned like Holt, Bruce, and Faulk have great quickness but no way do they have world class straight line speed. Faulk’s the only one of those guys who ever ran under 4.5 in the 40.

When Rod Woodson was at purdue he ran the 3rd fastest time (world) in the 100m hurdles one year. Considering that most of these tests are speculation an actual competition performance should hold some weight

i think you got this one backwards. holt and bruce have most definitely run under 4.5 for 40 yards, and even though i’m pretty sure marshall has too, i doubt he could break it now. straight ahead faulk is coming in third if those two line up next to him.

I know holt ran the 40y in 4"26

valerio

one of the fastest guys ive seen on the field is a guy named tim dwight of the chargers. he was a competitive sprinter while at Iowa, this guy may not be the fastest on the track, but on the field he can flat out fly!

Agreed. The boy is like lightning.

How about Ronney Jenkins?

yes dwight was fast. i tihnk he was a 10.30 runner at iowa and low 21 in the 200.

Dwight is the fastest white-guy I’ve ever seen (haven’t seen you yet, Quik :wink: )

nomination for espn3 for best picture in his bio
britany and madonna…i’ll be right back in 5-10 minutes…
haha

james jett won the olympic gold in barcelona as he run the semis of the relay…if my memotìry assists me, he had less than 10"10 (maybe 10"06).
michael bates won the bronze medal at the same olympics on the 200, and his p.b. is 20 "01
james “hothead” trapp won the 1993 world indoor champs on the 200 mts, running 20"54
alvis whitted is a sub 10"20-20"20 sprinter, and iI saw him finshing 5 in front of carl Lewis at the 1996 oly trials on the 200
a great sprinter and 2 time nfl fastest man is alexander wright, but i don’t have info on him…if someone knows something about him.i think he tried bobsledding…
as a side note, actually the fastest football player is probably leonard scott, tennesse university…6"48 on the 60 aand 10"06 on the 100

The times I’m going on for Holt and Bruce are combine numbers just before turning pro. I’m quite sure neither ran sub 4.5 at the Combine; Faulk on the other hand was at least in the low 4.4s. Where are people getting this 4.26 on Holt. That was surely hand-timed which means nothing as hand time can subtract up to .3 of a second. The fastest electronically recorded 40 ever remains Deion’s 4.26 at the '89 combine. Ben Johnson’s 40 meter split from when he ran 9.79 converts to 4.42 over 40 yards. Usually at the combine the fastest time is low 4.3s; very rarely under 4.3, so forget about all the so-called 4.0 hand timed 40s.

Yes but Ben Johnsons 4.42 was Fully Automated Timing from blocks, while the NFL 40 yard times are off first movement.

Not all. My coaches start on them.

Alex, thanks for nitipicking. my point was that 40 times are often exaggerated because the times quoted are almost always hand timed.

James Jett.

How the hell are their so many fast football players. It was the 10.0 this and 10.0 that at the begining of the thread that got me. If all these guys concentrated on track then eventually the U.S “c” team for relay would wipe the floor with any country in the world.
Could it be that running with the xtra bodyweight/pads helps these guys develope their sprinting speed?

goose,
most were originally track guys that migrated to football. the reason they don’t bother with track is because there is more money to be made in football.

I realize that Football is far more financially rewarding and high profile in the states, of course that is the reason they do football, but that is not exactly what I was asking about…
I’m just wondering what the hypothetical possabilities might be if they did track and if those pads that they run in at all developes xtra speed potential.

You semi-answered my question by stating that they WERE track guys who MIGRATED to football. (or maybe they allways played a bit of football aswell as track but just decided to stay with the football.)

1. What would happen if they didn’t, and stayed with track?

2. Do those pads (how much might the football kit weigh?), at all contribute to more running power?, (that could help track times?)

after all, it’s better to be fast in the field!

valerio