Football Receiver

hmmm…dunno. maybe some advice about gettin through high school. Drills to keep/develop good hands or nice routes. Tips for Catching the ball. Anything Really

First off, if you want to get better at catching the ball, you have to practice it constantly! Get someone to throw to you every day if possible. Make sure you are watching the ball all the way in, focus on the tip of the football as it comes to your hands. I suggest you look through the old threads here about football, there are alot of good posts. I’ve posted on some of the old threads too… check em out…

John

Landmark post or an ‘ugly 6’ route (flat or flag post as well).

1. any receiver should learn how to cut across face, whether it is a jam or just inside technique. Step on their toes, use a rip or swim move, bodylean, shake etc and so on. Practice this. If you are to the field side (usually the z receiver) your coach should have told you to stem your route depending on the coverage, usually in high school or college this is necessary to get a better passing lane (read- qb’s arms are weaker or create space for the back to catch the ball). Usually the z will stem 4, 6, 7, and 8’s sometimes 9’s on a pick play. X receiver or bound side is tougher with less room to work with so if you stem the route, or get pushed in beating the jam, you’ll have to work it back outside otherwise you’ll run right in to the defense.

2. For a landmark (skinny post) if you’re fast enough you can beat them over the top (unless it’s cover 2), if not or it’s cover two deep, then stem your route to get on the inside of the CB sprint him out (12 yds, 4-5 strides) angling the CB towards the sideline, don’t hit your full speed until you make your break, create separation, get over top of the safety, the ball will be in the air at this point, go get it, head up the field at an angle should be thrown deep.

3. for a flatter post, you have to work to get inside the cb and the S, sometimes you can go outside and swim back through the cb (but still stay under the S) if you can get his back turned, michael irvin was great at this, watch films of him, he’d get the cb turned, swim him create separation and find a spot in the zone. Usually on a flatter 8 route, or 6 route their is another receiver in the play sent deep to make the safety choose.

Hey thanks

one more question. I am planning to get some shoulder pads off of the net.http://www.footballamerica.com/default.asp?file=shopexd&fext=asp&id=10040 I am 5’7 153 lbs. I want pads that fit me just right so i get more Range of motion for my arms because im a receiver.I think i am in between youth size and adult. MY question is, since they do size by precise shoulder measurements, what is the correct way to measure shoulder width?