foot strike and COM

are there any other major technique errors on the top of your mind that can lead to lowered hip height besides reaching? and i’m thinking it’s one of those reciprocal things where both are true, sometimes both at once

Suggest it is because they are trying to maintain and not continue acceleration. Similar to running down a hill

I tend to find my guys drop there hips when tired and there contact times are greater. I guess it is hard for the hips to rotate if they aren’t in the optimal height position.

i agree, though obviously in the acceleration stage it is easier to no have braking forces with that “push” mentality. i’m curious about the upright running foot strike because i think it can be a limiting factor on both the maximum speed to be maintained and the maintenance of the speed itself

this makes sense, when im fatigued i always feel that the “bounce” in my step is gone. the run i specifically noticed it in me was near the end of a tiring workout

It would actually be easier to get the foot under the hips as you would have more time to get your feet under you due to the less time spent on the backside. I will be posting a video soon about frontside mechanics as soon as the weather permits. If you are leaning back when you think of running upright this is actually a symptom of being weak in the core/postural muscles.

haha, ironically i squat 2.5x my wegiht to parallel and can human flag, i doubt core strength is my issue if anything. just took video today. i noticed that i dont seem to ever actively swing my leg backwards. my mechanics look great then my leg straightens out right before its suppose to swing back, then it just stays there til foot strike. this is making me have very loud steps, a short stride and run slow. i think this problem doesnt occur as much while racing others because id naturally pull a bit more. its as if im not stepping through the ground. i just step down until right before contact then apply like no force to the actual ground…

Heels off the ground and dorsiflexion for speed maintanance.

Back in the 80’s when I was teaching myself to coach I used to compare the sprinting action to something mechanical. Pushbikes used for racing bikes had thinner tyres then ordinary bikes, the reason I was given was to reduce ground drag. In a straight line a car with skinny tyres will go faster then one with fat tyres, the fat tyres are only needed for traction during hard acceleration.

makes sense. i remember cf used the pushing a bicycle wheel around idea for accel

I am no cf. it was silly comments like that that led to my demise as a coach.

Notice you havent made comments on frontside mechanics,

i believe my frontside mechanics are actually pretty okay so i havent said too much on them. because they mostly result from a stretch reflex, i feel like your foot strike and backside mechanics if proper result in good front side mechanics

Well if I had to come up with something I’d probably lean towards identifying a weaker core or a rounded lower back. To put it another way, attempting to achieve knee lift without sufficient strength and flexibility to maintain neutral hip position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQnQWdrXNMk&sns=em

This is a Gatorade commercial. The last few seconds shows a sprinter with a mean forward lean. I put it in slow mo and noticed he was still able to land on com with the lean. I’ve notice a lot of jam sprinters have this style of running. Thoughts

That kid is like a combination of 09bolt and 06gatlin, in terms of his vulgarly boundish high cadence automatic natural stride.

probably not a weaker core for me just from knowing my strength levels. and maybe im rounding my lower back a bit

There is an exercise/drill I called a rudi on cf somewhere, do them properly and you will fix the problem.

any link you can post to bring me there?

Mate I don’t have the time.

I will facebook 3 athletes and ask if someone will do a vid for me. I sent you 2 vids away ago and one of the athletes is on it.

The rudi’s change the timing, the noise disappears and speed increases.

Full Squat

i assume your recommending i do more full squatting? on that note the program here generally has me full squatting in the realm of 6x4 twice a week. i think it might just be a cueing problem