flys or accels...

say part of a workout is 6x60m sprints…for acc/max v work…

but i feel after 40m i break down and therefore dont get good benifit from the final 20m…

could i do this instead…

4-6x40m

4x20m flying sprints…with 30 gradual accel into it…

would the latter be a good speed workout, silumar to the first…

For most people, 6X60 is the whole workout–there’s a chart in CFTS about the amount of speed to do in a session. What else you’re doing might be part of the issue.

There have been a number of threads in the past discussing acceleration limits, for people not able to accelerate for the entire distance. You put a cone at, say, 40 meters, and accelerate to the cone, then maintain. As you get in better condition (over a season or a career) and can accelerate longer, you move the cone out.

You can use a more gradual acceleration for flying sprints–or hold something back coming out of the blocks to produce the same effect–but it is not the only way.

in the pm is weights for the full day…

but, my question, is it ok to combine, accel dev alone (5x40m), then rest say 8-10 mins…and then do max v work with flys…in the same session…

in place of the 6x60m

I’d be quite interested to develop this thread further. Obviously you need to cut down the volume of the acceleration and and Max V work so the total is arond the 300-350 mark I would say. Thoughts?

I’m not sure if the total volume is the issue or if you are pushing too much in the accel part and losing form the farther out you go (I suspect that’s the most likely cause. Make sure in the acceleration you keep the ‘action’ under you and not behind you.

Can you please tell me the page number of this chart? I have been searching through the CFTS and haven’t managed to find it yet.

These are samples only!! Not rules!!

yeah CF your right…i think thats the problem…

we recently kind of tested this thought out…

with electronic timing,

the first run i accelerated as hard as i could for 30m and we clocked my fly 10m (30-40m)

we did this 3 times and then did with a gradual increase to 30m and balls out for the final 10m
and my fastest fly 10m was the same with or without the very hard acceleration…

what does this tell you? is it a machanics problem or fitness type problem?

does anyone know?

As Charlie pointed out, these are Guidelines, not rules, but I’ve found Charlie’s guidelines to work very well for me. You can find them on page 42 CFTS, with recommended numbers of reps for 30m through 80m.

I should have mentioned that it is page 42 in the PRINT version of CFTS; The “page” of the .pdf file would be something different.

yeah, my last post points out something different…i gave 2 examples of things i did…and wondered what you guys thought of it…

When you do more gradual acceleration, you (should) reach a higher top speed. But the more gradual accel progresses more slowly and is done longer (time and distance). So if your hard accel is 30m, your more gradual version might be 40m to reach a higher MaxV. This really what flying sprints are all about. Possibly the reason you didn’t see an improvement with the more gradual lead-in is that you didn’t go long enough.

As for mixing accels and flys in the same workout, you can if you keep the volume in the range that gives you maximum performance. Early in the season, with the emphasis more on accels, you might do 3X60+2X30 fly with something like 10 minute rest between each. Later (maybe early in GPP2), the emphasis might be on MaxV and you can turn the workout around: 3X30fly + 2X60 accel, which probably the same rest.

It would probably help more if you did a flying 20 or 30. You’re clearly traveling at a set rate of meters per second (max velocity) whether you hit it hard or gradually work up to it. If your flying 20 falls off from your flying 10 time then we could look at other things. Ie 10 fly 1.06, 20 fly 2.26. You follow?

i think your right…when i ran my fastest fly 10 (0.94) my fastest fly 20m was 1.01 which doesnt add up at all right?

I’m guessing you mean flying 20?? Also, the max velocity may vary depending on the degree of acceleration I think, as lkh pointed out.

shit i meant 2.01 for fly 20m. not 1.01, that would be fast wouldnt it…haha

I would be impressed. You could be way down til 80m then use that speed to come through at the last moment :wink: