Flo Jo Best Female Sprinter Physique

I was looking at videos of flo jo on youtube and in my opinion she had the best physical development of all the female sprinters all time,and then i realized most of the female sprinters today have less muscular development than the women of the 80s and early 90s like gail devers, marita koch and valerie briscoe-hooks. I wonder why that is maybe you guys can tell me your theories,I think there is less emphasis on weight room work now then in the past

You’re way off.

The lack of physical development is because of something that we’re not allowed to talk about on this site.

If you don’t understand, let’s just say that today’s women athletes are much more attractive (less manly) for this reason too.

yea but they also did less weight room work,it was said flo jo could do 330 pounds for lunges and she looks better than most of the female sprinters today

I saw a picture of Charlie stretching Angella Issajenko,her calves are amazing bigger than some male sprinters

Those calfs probably came from Hurdle walk overs, with a weight overhead.

i dont so.

Maybe you could give us some insight into the topic and enlightened us.

i think the high intensity work played a major role, weights, jumps, sprints etc.

Isn’t calf development highly influenced by genetics? That’s what I’ve heard several bodybuilders say.

I agree, but I found sprinting and jumping does improve calf developement on most.

Intense sprint & jump workouts actually target the hip & knee joint. The power is generated higher up, like a pendulum swing. So the calf’s should not get overly stimulated from these type of workouts.

Hurdle walkovers by contrast do target the ankle joint more during extension. The isometric & concentric contractions are longer. The longer time under tensions provide a greater stimulus for the gastroc development

my friend look through the forum and buy the forum review, Cf has said many times thats why sprinters dont need direct calf work. dont you extend when you sprint, jump, and speed power drills.

damn look at those legs,her ham and glutes are sick

That hooded speedsuit is the key to success:D

Firstly hurdle walkers are not an isolation exercise for the calf’s. They involve hip flexors & extensors to a large degree. Additionally I never stated that sprinters require specific calf work.

Yes, the ankle does extend, however the lower limb acts as spring with elastic properties. Active muscle power is not generated by the calf’s alone. The pictures of Flo Jo can partially support this view; look at the development of the calfs v hip extensors (hammi & glut).

Does CF recommend hurdle walk overs?

From Australian athletes that spent time with Charlie over the years that I know, they have all done hurdle walk overs, as a part of the CF system.

I don’t need to be right about this issue, neither do you. You can hold your viewpoints. Most things are not absolute and what we read may be for publication purposes. Sometimes we need to read between the lines to know what’s really going on. Dogma can set in if we hold what we know to absolute truths.

My friend you are correct, CF does use hurdle drills to develop hip flex, also hurdle walks are low intensity work so im not sure how hurdle walks would stand against high intensity sprints/jumps. Which one do you think would develop hit the lower leg complex more hurdle walks or 50m sprint @95%/4x3 depth jumps off 18-24in box.

Different types of muscle contractions. Hurdle walks having less eccentric component, a lot more repetition can be done, eg sets of 10. Whilst depth jump or high end speed work doesn’t allow for the same volume.

The lower limb complex would be sorer from depth jumps or speed work. But I am not sure which would target the lower limb complex more, because the types of contractions are eccentric v concentric and the volumes differ greatly. Eccentric work usually causes most strength gains, so on that basis depth jumps or speed work would target the lower limb more. But I don’t think the issue is that simple. Your question opens up another list questions, eg effects of high volume concentric work v low volume eccentric work.

flo was successful becuz she was not a sissy,
she work smart, and behold a new queen is born. ciao