Fish Oils - Ad nauseam

So whats everbodies opionion on fish oils for athletic performance and how much is really needed?

Fish oil is awesome, I do 2 capsules a day.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

everyone should take fish oils

2 capsules per day is worthless

6X1 grams standard capsules (180 mg EPA/120 DHA) is the minimum

10X1 gram standard capsules would be better

Lyle

[QUOTE=lylemcd]everyone should take fish oils

2 capsules per day is worthless

6X1 grams standard capsules (180 mg EPA/120 DHA) is the minimum

10X1 gram standard capsules would be better

Lyle

Two capsules could be plenty if you get adequate omega 3’s from your diet. All individual. As far as fish oils, good stuff for most, but really nothing magical. Having a good ratio of the three fats is what makes them effective. Do it through whole foods or add the oils if necessary.

Well this is flaxseed based but is it the same as a fishoil since the omege 3 or should i get a true fish oil?

http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/file.asp?xs=D06BD25F34D446368639C1B87F4A6456&PID=1009&CID=228&CPID=496

Get real fish oil. Flaxseeds and other plant sources contain a short-chain omega-3 known as alpha linolenic acid (ALA). Fish, fish oil, grassfed meats, and other animal sources provide the long-chain acids EPA and DHA. EPA and DHA are the necessary building blocks for the human body. That means that ALA has to undergo several steps to elongate it to the EPA and DHA the body wants. This conversion process is highly inefficient, on the order of 5-10%. It’s a better bet to eat the animals that eat the plants and let them take care of converting the ALA to EPA and DHA.

Here’s a bit more in a post on my blog from awhile back if you’re interested.

Scott
Modern Forager

Scott

Awesome website you have there. Welcome to ours.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

all fish/nut oils work, but how they are processed?

becareful…

ciao

Can you guys recommend the best bang for your buck fish oil? What kind do you guys like to use?

Try nordic naturals…

Thanks Rupert! I’ve actually been a member here for several years, but got out of the habit of checking in. Being a creature of habit, I am trying to re-establish it in my routine.

tha’s a big IF and I’ve never seen anyone eat fatty fish consistently enough, not on a day to day basis

athletes should take 10/day

We’ve covered fish oils/omega 3 at length in the forums. Search it out.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com