First degree hamstring pull recovery ? urgent...

hows ur hammy

Not swollen… No scar tissue, no pain … completely normal

I rested until now… but I am coming back to training, I am going to do slow accels and strides… I would sprint if i wasn’t scare… because no matter what i do to it or how hard i press it it just doesnt hurt

see i have a meet on thursday, so i want to get ready for a nice hard accl opspeed session on Monday… for that I have to check I am good to go today

Silencer even if there isn’t any pain, discomfort, etc I would still be cautious about coming back to full speed right away, as in your upcoming race. Be smart and listen to your body. See how Monday’s session goes like you said and if there’s any discomfort even the slightest, I’d not race on Thursday. Just my opinion.

Yea, thanks man !
Just got back from training, 70% Tempo feels ok, but I still can’t start even at slow speeds… But i’m sure i’ll be back at 100% on Monday…

It’s been 4 days, can I start stretching it again ?

If you stretch it, I’d be very careful so you are only doing so to a point where you can’t feel any pain whatsoever!!! I would do very very gentle stretches where you can only feel a slight ‘stretch’ sensation.

A hard head make a soft behind.

Chicken fried rice or chefs special works best!

hehe

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

lol… well guys, just got back from Javelin session and 70% tempo 2x200m 3x100m
( I did 40 meters without run up… just arm movement, is that good ? jav was 800g)

Felt really good, this time I didn’t feel the hammy at all.

came back home for deep tissue work and some stretching, if anything goes even a tiny bit wrong tomorrow in practice ill have to drop from thursdays race as well.

I will start with a long warmup, then do a few 15m starts, and some flying 20’s just to check i can run upright well, if not, bummer.

no need to do flying sprints in ur first session, if anything do 60’s acc out to 30m then hold for 30m.

you are right, 30 FE is a much better idea ! ill take ur advice

30F30E as a FIRST session back from a ham pull?!:eek: That session there is no joke…I think thats a little too intense for a first session.

My old coach made me do 10m turnabout accels to see how the hamstring reacts. Once you can get through a week or two of the 10’s push it out to 20m. The run’s look something like this:

0-------10m-------0

Start at zero and accel to 10m turn around and start at the zero on the otherside. This done 10 times x 8 sets. 4-5 mins rest between sets.

No problem doctor phil.

What Jason is referring to is the Mach progression for hamstring rehabilitation. I learned it from Number 2 while I was working with him (and I assumed he modified it from what he learned from Coach Francis, and Coach Francis from Gerard Mach). Cones are used to limit acceleration length - hmastring pulls will usually reoccur when the athlete starts to open up his stride… Once the hamstring can handle 10m of accel, another 5 are added, and so on. Mach drills can be used as a warm up to help strengthen the hamstring. Form & feel dictate how long the accel will be for each session. I’m not sure if there is much information on the web about it, but I do remember seeing some of the information published in old Athletics Canada documentation.

Dig around and see if you can find the actual progression on the web. I’ve used in a number of time with field sport athletes with great success. Otherwise, I may be able to expand on it when I have more time.

i understand all those progressions, this athlete was set on during flying sprints and not 10x10, in this case it would be better to acc for 30 then maintain for 30 vs flying sprints. Before he would attempt longer sprints he would do shorter sprinters in the workout and gauge the hammy ability to fire.

It seems like you are both arguing the same point! The only variation is the distance of the acceleration.

anything from the workouts?

100% all out 60m x 2 was perfectly fine
starts are fine
tempo 200m is fine

deep massage does not hurt.

ONLY PROBLEM IS… I TOTALLY LOST IT. no technique, crashing on every step, i feel like i forgot how to sprint and lost ALL my strength during that week… i have no idea why…

you are soo funny dude.

LOL i swear bro ! maybe its all the deep tissue stuff ive been doin this week ??

get that muscle tonus back. :slight_smile: